Ares Games

Thread: AAR - Biplane Duel over Sollum

Default AAR - Biplane Duel over Sollum

As forum member Barry 'Gully Raker' was up in Brisbane for a bit of a holiday I organised a WGS session at the Brisbane Independent Gamers Club this weekend. With a lot of club members interested in the latest Ares releases and my 'unofficial' armada of aircraft we both spent a lot of time explaining and talking up our game. As a result only one engagement was played out with Barry taking a couple of RAAF Gladiators against my Italian Falcos.

December 1940

Sollum, Libya

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	<acronym title=AAR Sollum 1.jpg  Views: 70  Size: 135.7 KB  ID: 98818" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

On a clear morning at 15,000 feet above the Libyan desert, two Gloster Gladiator biplane fighters piloted by Flight Lieutenant Charles Gaden and Flying Officer Wilfred 'Woof' Arthur of No.3 Squadron RAAF are flying an offensive fighter patrol over Sollum on the shores of the sparkling blue Mediterranean. Glancing down to port F/L Gaden spots a pair of Regia Aeronautica biplane fighters approaching from the west about 5,000 feet below.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR Sollum 2.jpg  Views: 71  Size: 112.5 KB  ID: 98817" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The Fiat CR.42 Falcos flown by Sergente Luigi Gorrini and Sergente Vito Rinaldi of the 130 Gruppo of the Regia Aeronautica are looking for Tommy columns to strafe when Gorrini waggles his wings pointing up at the enemy fighters. Despite their opponents' height advantage the Italian pilots begin a climbing turn towards the enemy fighters.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR Sollum 3.jpg  Views: 71  Size: 118.0 KB  ID: 98816" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Seeing the Italians are not going to run, Gaden (Z for Zulu) waves to his wingman and 'Woof' Arthur (G for George) gives the thumbs up as the Australian pilots circle around to make an attack.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR Sollum 4.jpg  Views: 70  Size: 131.1 KB  ID: 98805" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

But Gorrini and Rinaldi are not new to their trade, both being experienced pre-war fighter pilots. They continue their climbing turn keeping their noses pointed towards the Gladiators.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR Sollum 6.jpg  Views: 71  Size: 117.5 KB  ID: 98807" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Gaden and Arthur continue to circle, looking for the right opportunity to swoop down on the Falcos.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR Sollum 7.jpg  Views: 71  Size: 141.4 KB  ID: 98808" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Unable to get behind the Falcos the Australians split up, drawing the Italian pilots off after Gaden's Gladiator.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR Sollum 8.jpg  Views: 71  Size: 152.8 KB  ID: 98809" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The swirling manouvers continue until at last F/L Gaden dives down onto the Italians, firing off a long burst from his four machine guns at Rinaldi's Falco. As the .303 in rounds strike the Fiat's cowl blowing off a couple of pistons the Italian pilot returns fire, peppering the Gladiator.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR Sollum 9.jpg  Views: 71  Size: 126.3 KB  ID: 98815" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Despite their initial disadvantage and the critical damage to Rinaldi's engine the Italians turn aggressively into each of the Gladiators attacks. Making another head on pass, Rinaldi's Breda-Safat machine guns chatter spitting a stream of 12.7mm rounds into Gaden's Gladiator. Hot lead strikes the Australian's fuel tank setting his Gladiator alight.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR Sollum 10.jpg  Views: 71  Size: 130.3 KB  ID: 98814" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

With flames beginning to consume Gaden's aircraft, he and Gorrini approach each other at a combined speed of almost 500 mph. In a moment the Falco and Gladiator collide with Gorrini's top wing slicing through the Gladiator's starboard wing struts. Despite the damage the Italian manages to keep control of his Falco. The Australian is not so fortunate however losing control over his stricken aircraft. Gaden unstraps his harness and hits the silk as the Gladiator spirals down in flames to the desert below.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR Sollum 11.jpg  Views: 70  Size: 123.8 KB  ID: 98813" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Gorrini and Rinaldi turn on the next Gladiator, but 'Woof' Arthur continues to fight gamely. Exchanging a burst with Gorrini however Arthur is wounded by splinters as 12.7mm rounds smash through his aircraft. Gorrini's Fiat takes another hit and the controls become sluggish.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR Sollum 12.jpg  Views: 70  Size: 131.8 KB  ID: 98812" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Despite his wounds and the odds against him F/O Arthur continues the fight, turning back towards his opponents.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR Sollum 13.jpg  Views: 70  Size: 136.2 KB  ID: 98811" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

On the next pass Sergente Rinaldi puts a final burst into the Gladiator. With his aircraft shot to pieces Arthur decides to bale out. As he clambers out of the cockpit, the Australian becomes entangled in his oxygen tube. He breaks free only to be caught up in the interplane bracing wires. Stuck fast he waits for the end to come until at about 1,000 feet fate intervenes and he is thrown clear, parachuting to the ground.

Landing safely Gaden and the slightly wounded Arthur are fortunate to meet up with an advancing British column and are soon returned to their squadron.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR Sollum 14.jpg  Views: 69  Size: 132.0 KB  ID: 98810" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Sergente Gorrini and Rinaldi pilot their battle damaged Fiats back to base and celebrate their victories.
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 07-15-2013 at 16:55.

Bravo, well played gents!!! Great AAR, and maybe the Aussies will meet them in the sky's again for a rematch!!!

Barry had a bit of bad luck with the chit draw - my Fiats only took one less damage chit but the numbers and special damage were much kinder.

Fantastic AAR, looks like a lot of fun was had, loved the terrain mat. Nice twist on biplanes in WW2 not the usual WW1.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Fantastic AAR, looks like a lot of fun was had, loved the terrain mat. Nice twist on biplanes in WW2 not the usual WW1.
    Thanks Neil. The mat is a satellite photo blown up to A0 size (1.4 m x 1m) printed out at Officeworks for $40. It is actually of the Libyan desert near Sollum, which still looks surprising similar to 1940.

This was my first battle with the Glads and Falcos, very enjoyable.

Great AAR !!! Unexpected outcome 2 x 0, but should have been very enjoyable

Great AAR, Carl.

It's really fun to fly with the "last biplanes" and to see your very nice self painted Gladiators in action on the Sollum map!

Very nice AAR. I have yet to fly one of the last biplanes

Nice to see a turning battle vs. a zoom and immelmann one.

Thumbs up

Many thanks to Carl who also drove me home after the game.
    It was an interesting experience flying the early WW2 aircraft & the Falcos & Gladiators are very evenly matched. They both use the "L" deck.
    I thoroughly enjoyed the game despite pulling both the explosion card & an 8 Collision chit.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankJamison View Post
    Nice to see a turning battle vs. a zoom and immelmann one.
    It was a great little fight. The biplanes don't need much room to manouver - after the initial jockeying I reckon we could almost have played the rest of the game on a piece of A4 paper.

I tried to keep my boys together but it was harder after Rinaldi took engine damage.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Many thanks to Carl who also drove me home after the game.
    It was an interesting experience flying the early WW2 aircraft & the Falcos & Gladiators are very evenly matched. They both use the "L" deck.
    I thoroughly enjoyed the game despite pulling both the explosion card & an 8 Collision chit.
    Glad to get a game in mate, doesn't happen anywhere near as often as it should.

Cheers,

Carl.

Great AAR Carl, interesting battle, a little cat and mouse then all out war Like the mat, what did they print it out on (thinking of durability)?

Quote Originally Posted by Brambo View Post
    Great AAR Carl, interesting battle, a little cat and mouse then all out war Like the mat, what did they print it out on (thinking of durability)?
    Thanks Trevor.

I had the maps printed on a heavy paper. It is very durable if you keep it away from liquids.

The best thing about reporting AAR's is you don't get the reflection as with laminated maps.

I have previously submitted a 'How To' for these maps here http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...printing-time)

Cheers,

Carl.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    Thanks Trevor.

I had the maps printed on a heavy paper. It is very durable if you keep it away from liquids.

The best thing about reporting AAR's is you don't get the reflection as with laminated maps.

I have previously submitted a 'How To' for these maps here http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...printing-time)

Cheers,

Carl.
    Thanks Carl, I'll check it out

Great job Carl - you two put on an excellent show ! Good to see the Biplanes getting a workout against eachother

A great little engagement. Those are the planes that look especially fine while over the true to original mat. What about a Desert Campaign, Carl?

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbomber View Post
    A great little engagement. Those are the planes that look especially fine while over the true to original mat. What about a Desert Campaign, Carl?
    Hi Andrzej,

I am planning a desert campaign following the progress of 3 Squadron RAAF from Egypt 1940 into Libya, then Syria 1941, back to the Western Desert 1941-2, Tunisia & Sicily 1943, and finally to Italy in 1944-45. I have 40 missions mapped out based on historical engagements starting with Gladiators, then Hurricanes, Tomahawks, Kittyhawks, and then Mustangs.

I just need to find the time to compile and publish a polished product.

Love the mat. Is it in the File section. Great AAR as well I will have to try this one out but I will throw in some Hurricanes and some 109s as well.
    Fantastic,
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    Love the mat. Is it in the File section. Great AAR as well I will have to try this one out but I will throw in some Hurricanes and some 109s as well.
    Fantastic,
    Thomas
    Thanks Thomas. This map and several others are in my albums on the forum here: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=1901

Barry and I were planning a Tobruk battle with Tomahawks vs Stukas and 109's, but we ran out of time. There is a Tobruk harbour map in the album as well.

Cheers,

Carl.

As many have said, good looking mat! Looks like it was a fun game, I like how those biplanes fly!

COLBATMAN's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies

Name
    c
    Sorties Flown

Carl and Bazz
    Good to see you two having a great game.
    Carl great AAR, Great looking mats and minis.
    Regards

Colbatman

Great AAr.Carl.
    I have been trying to put off a Gladiator vs Falco moment, but your superb action has made me decide that I must get a couple before they go out of stock.
    Bad luck Baz, you deserved better.
    Rob.

You will love them, Rob.

I started with one Falco, a Sea Gladiator and a Gladiator.

Bought another Italian Falco and the German Falco.

...and want to buy more of the last biplanes.

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    You will love them, Rob.

I started with one Falco, a Sea Gladiator and a Gladiator.

Bought another Italian Falco and the German Falco.

...and want to buy more of the last biplanes.
    You are supposed to talk me down Sven, not aid and abet me into spending even more money!
    Rob.

I just received another delivery from Milsims today - two more Italian Falcos, another Malta Gladiator and two more Bf 110s.

That gives me six Regia Aeronautica CR.42s and six RAF/RAAF Gladiators. Enough for a decent stoush when I can round up enough players.

Similar Missions

1. Biplane Terminology
    By Oberst Hajj in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-30-2015, 11:21
  2. Biplane Aces of WWII
    By phililphall in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-04-2013, 14:11
  3. A Little Beautiful Biplane
    By Blackronin in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 15