Ares Games

Thread: WGS Series 5 (P-51D, FW-190, Spitfire Mk. IX, and Ki-84) Pre-orders

Default WGS Series 5 (P-51D, FW-190, Spitfire Mk. IX, and Ki-84) Pre-orders

The newly announced WGS Series 5 miniatures are now up for pre-order on Aerodrome Accessories. Place your order between now and September 1st and receive a free bonus!

The listed pilots for each aircraft types are:

FW-190
    WGF105A Götz

WGF105B Wübke

WGF105C 7./JG 26

Spitfire Mk. IX
    WGF106A Beurling

WGS106B Johnson

WGS106C Skalski

P-51D
    WGS107A Landers

WGS107B Saks

WGS107C Ellington

Ki-84 Hayate
    WGS108A Fujimoto

WGS108B Imoto

WGS108C 52 Sentai
    Last edited by Oberst Hajj; 07-02-2013 at 03:18.

Thanks Keith. They look great. Wish I could read the point values but they do look good. Can't wait!

Fantastic looking miniatures, looks like the manoeuver decks are O,P,Q and R?

Can't quite make out the damage points, 19 perhaps?

Looks like I will have to order some P-51's from AIM for Australian markings in preparation for this release.

First order placed. Now Ares, bring on the Corsair!

As much as I want to see the Corsair, I am looking for the P-38 and the P47

Some background on the Fw 190D pilots:

Franz Götz enlisted as a fighter pilot in the pre-war Luftwaffe and began the war with III./Jagdgeschwader 53 (JG 53—53rd Fighter Wing) "Pik-As". Holding the rank of Oberfeldwebel he gained his first victory in May 1940 during the Battle of France. Götz served with JG 53 through successive European, Russian, Mediterranean, and Reich Defence campaigns. He was awarded the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and became Gruppenkommandeur of II./JG 53 from October 1942 until early 1945. He claimed his first of three B-17 Flying Fortress on 24 August 1944 over the Lüneburger Heide. On 28 January 1945, (Götz's 32nd birthday) he was posted as Geschwaderkommodore of Jagdgeschwader 26 based at Fürstenau. His final tally was 63 victories, including 3 heavy bombers. At war's end Götz's Fw 190 D-13 was surrendered to the British at Flensburg, in Northern Germany. The very rare Focke Wulf Fw 190 D-13/R11 (Werknummer 836017—factory number) is now on display at the Museum of Flight in Seattle, Washington.

Fw 190D-9 Red 3 was flown by Hauptmann Waldemar Wubke, JV 44, Munchen-Riem/Germany, late April 1945. Waldemar Wubke belongs to the Luftwaffe veterans who served from almost the first day of the war until the last. He flew with 9./JG 54 as a Leutnant from 1940, and was among the first pilots to bring forward the fighter-bomber tactics against England. The inscription--quite ironically meant--that he painted on every single aircraft that he flew from 1940 onward stems from this time. Wubke loathed the fighter-bomber missions, and the writing By the Order of the Reichsbahn was to be found on the sides of boxcars which carried bombs. On October 21, 1940, he was awarded with the Iron Cross of the First Class. On July 11, 1941, Wubke achieved III./JG 54's 250th victory by downing a Soviet SB bomber. On September 2, 1942, Oberleutnant Wubke was appointed Staffelfuhrer of 7./JG 54. On September 9, 1942, he engaged a formation of six to eight LaGG-3s and MiG-3s alone, managed to destroy one but got himself injured. Despite this, he was back in action two days later. On October 20, 1942 Wubke was awarded the German Cross in Gold. On January 5, 1943, Wubke, by now 7./JG 54's Staffelkapitan, achieved his last Ostfront victory against an Il-2 Shturmovik. But by this time the Soviet resistance in the air had grown considerably sharper, and on January 18, 1943, three Bf 109s and five pilots was all that was left of Wubke's Staffel. Shortly afterward, the entire III./JG 54 was shifted to France, and from the spring of 1943 it was dispatched in the home defense. On July 29, 1943, Oberleutnant Wubke was injured again when his Schwarm was bounced by five Spitfires. Wubke barely managed to nurse his crippled Bf 109 back to base, and then he was sent to hospital in Amsterdam. Between June 17, 1944 and April 15, 1945, Wubke served as Gruppenkommandeur II./JG 101. After that he was posted to JV 44's Fw 190 D-9-equipped airbase protection Staffel. Waldemar Wubke survived the war with a total of fifteen confirmed aerial victories, including eleven on the Eastern Front.

Tom, I can't read them in the PDF either

I can say that they released how they are handling the faster speeds.... larger maneuver cards! The cards for these planes will be 63mm x 88mm , or standard US poker card size!

NIIIIIIICE!!!

This will be the first time I order a complete series!

Great offer, Herr Oberst.

Sweet! Will have to talk to SWMBO and with a bit of luck I'll put in my order this evening...

Don't think I'll order the japanse though... Guess I'll order more Fw190 to play with the P-51's instead...

Great looking aircraft. I expect that this means I will be expanding my WWII collection somewhat, even before it has got properly underway.
    Rob.

I just updated the first post with high res photos of each of the new planes, take a look!

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    I just updated the first post with high res photos of each of the new planes, take a look!
    They do look sweet. And the offer on AA is very hard to refuse...

I see a lot of repaints comming. They look good.

Amazing!

Thank you, Herr Oberst.

At first glance: the schemes Ares chose are simply right and perfect this time [especially Spits!] With little paint or decal effort one can build nice and distinctive squadrons for different theaters.

This time it was stronger then me. Preorder for the whole series placed.

It is a very good deal, I agree, but I can´t take advantage of it, or customs will have my wallet

The only way I have to buy minis/games is 2 by 2, or 3 by 3, and hope the package pass customs without "harm"

These are a great set of miniatures.

Regarding the damage points set for each aircraft I am in agreement with three of the four:

18 is right for the stop-gap Spitfire Mk.IX - basically a slightly modified 1941 Mk.V airframe fitted with a more powerful Merlin 61 engine;

The Ki-84 - a 1943 design equipped with armour protection but no self sealing tanks is deserving of an 18;

The P-51D is a 1943 design with armour and self sealing tanks, 19 is right;

However at 18 I believe the Fw 190D is somewhat understrength. Designed by Kurt Tank the airframes of all Fw 190 variants had immensely strong internal structures along with electrical control circuits less prone to battle damage than mechanical linkages - fly by wire in 1942 if you will. Even with the inline Jumo engine as opposed to the radial BMW of the Fw 190A, I would still give the 'Dora' at least a damage point value of 20. Giving the Fw 190D the same damage value as the Bf 109E-4 which was 2,000lbs lighter and much less able to absorb battle damage creates an anomaly not easily explained.

Any other perspectives on this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    These are a great set of miniatures.

Regarding the damage points set for each aircraft I am in agreement with three of the four:

18 is right for the stop-gap Spitfire Mk.IX - basically a slightly modified 1941 Mk.V airframe fitted with a more powerful Merlin 61 engine;

The Ki-84 - a 1943 design equipped with armour protection but no self sealing tanks is deserving of an 18;

The P-51D is a 1943 design with armour and self sealing tanks, 19 is right;

However at 18 I believe the Fw 190D is somewhat understrength. Designed by Kurt Tank the airframes of all Fw 190 variants had immensely strong internal structures along with electrical control circuits less prone to battle damage than mechanical linkages - fly by wire in 1942 if you will. Even with the inline Jumo engine as opposed to the radial BMW of the Fw 190A, I would still give the 'Dora' at least a damage point value of 20. Giving the Fw 190D the same damage value as the Bf 109E-4 which was 2,000lbs lighter and much less able to absorb battle damage creates an anomaly not easily explained.

Any other perspectives on this issue?
    Good point. But I will let the experts have the final word about it.

Speaking of repaints, Mark Styling has some nice profile views of Mustangs from the 78th FG (use WGS107A).

They look great; but I suppose it's a bad thing that 2 of the 3 Fw-190Ds have bent props?
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbomber View Post
    This time it was stronger then me. Preorder for the whole series placed.
    Another Polish pilot Are you glad Andrzej? It seems you have some protection in Ares office Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    Another Polish pilot Are you glad Andrzej? It seems you have some protection in Ares office Congratulations!
    I particularly like Skalski's machine from his time with the Polish Fighting Team in North Africa. I can see I will have to buy a section of four and repaint some wingmen.

The Saks Mustang will be great for repaints also, I'll need about six of them I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    Thank you Wingman I am personally very satisfied not only with this particular model, but with the desert scheme as well.
    It is nice, for I have just recently started to read more about Skalski's Circus in Africa!

It's nice to see Ellington's "Lollipop" in the mix. Not that I don't think that they're aren't any better Mustang drivers out there, but Tuskeege aircraft will sell. And I want to see Ares selling LOTS of planes.

I agree about the Tuskegee Airman Mustang given to rather successful movies on the subject. I like the Desert scheme and the invasion strips on the spitfires

Ares really knows how to squeeze the money out of me lately. I should be placing an order next week!

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    They look great; but I suppose it's a bad thing that 2 of the 3 Fw-190Ds have bent props?
    Karl
    That is to represent how fast they are flying through the air.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Lucas
    Sorties Flown

The inline engine in the Fw-190D was air-cooled removing the need for vulnerable radiators. So it kept the durability of the radial engine of the Fw-190A. 19 or 20 should be expected of the 190D.

Very nice models but can I justify any of them when I am only doing early war for WW2, though the FW 190 was used on the Russian front.........

Firepower should be the same, but there is a 50 km/h speed difference between A version (1942) and D version (1944).

Maybe the D version is more maneuverable, too.

The long nose of the D version makes it not that usable for early war scenarios. (my opinion)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Very nice models but can I justify any of them when I am only doing early war for WW2, though the FW 190 was used on the Russian front.........
    I have the same problem. I am considering preordering all of them, but to do so is to put resources in a time zone that I am not using at the moment as I am concentrating on BoB. The problem is: if I don't buy them now, they may not be available later.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Lucas
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    Firepower should be the same, but there is a 50 km/h speed difference between A version (1942) and D version (1944).

Maybe the D version is more maneuverable, too.

The long nose of the D version makes it not that usable for early war scenarios. (my opinion)
    Though it kept the same beautiful roll rate and had 400+ feet per minute added onto it's climb rate it kept nearly the same wing loading so it wasn't too much more maneuverable in the turning. Though the Western pilots gave it far more respect than it's predecessor the Russian's considered the A model more deadly (mostly because more of their fights still took place at low altitudes where the A still shined). If anything, now that late war speeds are attainable, hopefully they will go back and cover the mid war fighters.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post
    What is it BBB short range and AB at long?

Looks like it Tom. Ask Tommy, I think he bought one at Gencon already.

Ye sit is. Look at the first posting for clearer pictures of the base.

Looks like it Tom. Ask Tommy, I think he bought one at Gencon already.
    Looks like they will be able to release in september as planned then... Would be a first time no?

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    What is it BBB short range and AB at long?
    That's what 6 x 50cals will give you.
    Karl

Any more news on the release date for Series 5? Has October firmed up or can we hope against hope we might get deliveries in September?

Often of late, Andrea has chimed in with shipping status; so far nothing about where they are in the world.
    Karl

Similar Missions

1. Pre orders of Tripes
    By tikkifriend in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-12-2013, 05:54
  2. 12-7 Series 1 Reprint Pre-Orders. Any News?
    By David Manley in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-09-2013, 13:52
  3. Polish orders
    By Marechallannes in forum Polish Wing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-29-2012, 12:54
  4. Czech orders
    By Marechallannes in forum Czechoslovak Wing
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-25-2012, 06:41