Ares Games

Thread: Simplified Dive and Climb Rules

Question Simplified Dive and Climb Rules

Has anyone come up with simplified Climb rules for WWII Aircraft.

John B.

Well there are many out there. One that I came up with is using the speed markers. If you start with 2 blue and 2 white and 1 blank marker. Then add 1 blue and 1 white with an orange dot on them. These orange dot markers will be your climb markers. Regular rules apply meaning you can not do 2 climbs in a row. But now you can climb and turn at the same time. Using any non-diamond maneuver you can use one of the orange speed markers to climb or dive one climb token not a peg. The white orange marker is for climbing and the blue orange marker is for diving. Same as the rules that if you climb your next speed must be slow and if you dive the next speed must be high.
    Now you can tweak these rules to match the planes you are using. As I don't allow the Zero to do power dives but can do a power climb. A power climb is using the climb card and the climb speed token to give it 2 climb tokens in one move. The Wildcat can do a power dive as per the rules or using the dive card and the dive speed token to dive 1 peg and 1 dive token. This is a house rule I've come up with and it works quite well.
    Hope this helps

Thomas

Thanks, Cappy that looks like a good start.

John B.

Would you use the slow speed arrow indicator for climbing?

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Would you use the slow speed arrow indicator for climbing?
    Yes, when I say white orange I mean the white arrow with the orange dot on it to indicate the altitude speed marker. As you climb you lose speed. At least that's how I see it.

Thomas

When using acceleration rules, do you put the speed token with the orange dot on the console like you would for normal speed tokens? If so the you wouldn't be able to use the climb token for 2 turns

Also when using the climb speed token is that move always the slow speed maneuver, or can it be fast speed and then switch to slow for the next maneuver?

Quote Originally Posted by Yenwing View Post
    When using acceleration rules, do you put the speed token with the orange dot on the console like you would for normal speed tokens? If so the you wouldn't be able to use the climb token for 2 turns
    The orange speed tokens would work separately from the others so you could use them every other turn.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    The orange speed tokens would work separately from the others so you could use them every other turn.

Thomas
    If I understand your house rules correctly a slightly more intuitive name for the orange speed tokens IMHO pitch speed tokens. The climb is pitch up while the dive is pitch down. This does rely upon your players knowing what pitch this.

So instead of
    The white orange marker is for climbing and the blue orange marker is for diving
    You end up with
    The white pitch marker is for climbing and the blue pitch marker is for diving

This is just a suggestion and it is of course entirely up to you as it's your set of house rules.

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post

Thomas
    Thanks Tom, that's how I was using it and it seemed to work well.

Similar Missions

1. Simplified Height Rules for WGS
    By Zoe Brain in forum WGS: House Rules
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-01-2016, 10:48
  2. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-25-2013, 13:51
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-15-2011, 13:13
  4. Simplified Altitude Rules with Climb Rates
    By Oberst Hajj in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 24