Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Official Grumman F6F Painting Thread

Default Official Grumman F6F Painting Thread

I've been doing some US Naval models this month and here are two of them. The first is a Hellcat from VF-27 off of the USS Princeton. It is an AHM kit and really did not appeal to me when I first was building it. It's a bit too round and the tail needs some serious putty to build up a very large gap. Also the prop looks awfully huge. Once I got it painted and decalled I have to say it has grown on me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	White 9 VF-27 USS Princeton (4).jpg 
Views:	409 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	95893Click image for larger version. 

Name:	White 9 VF-27 USS Princeton (3).jpg 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	95894Click image for larger version. 

Name:	White 9 VF-27 USS Princeton (2).jpg 
Views:	410 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	95895Click image for larger version. 

Name:	White 9 VF-27 USS Princeton.jpg 
Views:	408 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	95897

The decals are from MYK in Japan and are one of their A****a No Decal sets. Very nice decals, but unusual too. The decals are attached the same way as regular decals, soak in water and place them on the model. But here is a big difference, unlike regular decals these decals are on the underside of the carrier film. You have to let the decal dry in place before using some tape to lift off the carrier film. Take a look at all the tiny white stencils on this model. Normally I wouldn't bother with such little things, but these stencils all came on the same carrier, which meant that one application put all of the stencils on the plane in correct orientation to each other, a great savings in time. The face on the front of the plane also came on one carrier, so the eyes, mouth and blood drops all went on at once and in correct orientation, very nice.

This next Hellcat comes from VF-83 off of the USS Essex. It's a Revell kit, an old one that was missing its canopy, which is why has a painted windscreen. Other than the missing canopy the kit is a pretty good one. The decals are from the same MYK decal sheet as the first one. I have to say that decaling the first Hellcat was a snap, this one was not. The fault really lies with me since I did not pay attention to lifting off the carrier film from the tail and wing symbols. I thought the carrier film hadn't come off and tried the tape twice, a real big mistake. The result was some of each of these decals came off with the tape and had to be touched up with white paint.

Name:	White 31 VF-83  USS Essex (3).jpg 
Views:	408 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	95889Click image for larger version. 

Name:	White 31 VF-83  USS Essex (2).jpg 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	95890Click image for larger version. 

Name:	White 31 VF-83  USS Essex.jpg 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	95891
    Last edited by flash; 12-22-2013 at 14:29. Reason: Enhanced Title

Looks as if you have made a pretty good job of them to me Lloyd.
    Mistake apart, the decals look well detailed and crisp, and the aircraft themselves seem to be clean and crisp, allowing for what you have said about filling. Compared to metal models which I have made, they seem to holdf their own O.K.
    Your paint job looks fine as well.
    Thanks for posting these.
    Rob.

New Ray 1/190 F6F Hellcats all from the carrier CV10 Yorktown:

Scaled with a WOW F4F left and a WOW Val right

Tony

Those look great Tony! I have a stash of New Ray F6F's and P-38.s to paint, you have inspired me . . .

Decals are IMHO the way to go. Nice work Lloyd!

Even more nice eye candy for me to gaze at. Must get some of my own WWII repaints done.
    Rob.

Wow, some of the very first WoW WWII planes I bought. Originally, before there even was a WoG WWII version, there was a company called 21st Century making 1/144 scale planes that sold in toy stores, of all places. When I first started collecting 1/144 scale planes to play WoW with, I just bought the 21st Century planes, drilled a hole in the bottom, added a peg, and used the WWI stands and pegs to play.

Before I really got going on the WWII side, I wanted to not spend a lot of money on the game (had a family to support), and I didn't realize just how much variety there actually was in 1/144 scale models, especially online like E-Bay.

So the 21st Century toy planes were inexpensive, but limited to what was available in the stores (to me at that time). All I could find were F6Fs in U.K. Far East paint schemes. My middle son wanted to do WWII pacific battles, thus the repaint to U.S. colors.

In addition to being completely inexperienced with 1/144 scale stuff, I had virtually no decales. I was doing Axis and Allies Miniatures back then, so I had some decales that I bought from Flames of War, the only thing I had in 1/144 scale. Those and some of the smaller 1/72 decales that I could get my hands on from my spares, and what I did was a generic non-historic U.S. paint job. At that time, I had no idea I would eventually be getting into the WWII side to the point I am now with 198+ planes. So I figured it would be OK, basically just for my kids and I. Interesting and funny looking back now though! LOL! The diamond decale on the tails were off a russian flames of war tank decale sheet; the red dots on the cowling were the inner dot from alternate early war 1/172 scale U.S. insignia; the eagle with the bomb in it's tallons was from a flames of war german tank decale sheet!!! I totally ad-libbed the decales! My son Joe and I proxied the F6F for the F4F, when the first WWII WoW came out. 21st did a Frank, and it proxied for the Oscar. I always wound up with the Oscars, and always shot down! LOL!

On a sheet of Flames of War 1/144 scale U.S. tank decales, I had a bunch of little names. I added the name Annie (one of my two daughters), and of course my son Joe ("LiL' JOE", he was then; not anymore; he's deployed over seas with the Marines currently) to the other. I hope they still show up in these pics.

Here's what they started out as, you used to get these in a themed two pack, for $7.99 USD in the toy stores here. 21st is OOB currently. I think these came with either a Zero, or maybe the Frank.

My simple little, non historical repaints:

Last edited by kaufschtick; 09-06-2013 at 08:09.

The Hellcat actually was a pretty decent model. You've done a great job on your repaint. I bet your kids loved having a plane named after them.

Excellent job. Its a shame that scales differ a bit from 1/200 but as far i can see an excellent job kudos

Quote Originally Posted by Lloydthegamer View Post
    I bet your kids loved having a plane named after them.
    Well...I got in dutch with the wife over that one, actually. You see, 5 kids, and only two planes with names on them...

My defence was; "Hey, those are the only two names on my decale sheet that match the kids names!"

I was informed however; that if I wasn't prepared to put a name on 3 more planes for the other children, that I shouldn't do it for just two. And if I didn't have decales, then why couldn't I paint the names on!!!!!!!

She was a little reluctant to fork over the funds I asked for, in order to purchase the electron microscope I told her I would need for the additional "name painting", it turned out.

So she might fund the expansion of the squadron then . . . I have a cunning plan!

This is a great story! Thanks for sharing. So did you get the microscope eventually?
    Quote Originally Posted by kaufschtick View Post
    Well...I got in dutch with the wife over that one, actually. You see, 5 kids, and only two planes with names on them...

My defence was; "Hey, those are the only two names on my decale sheet that match the kids names!"

I was informed however; that if I wasn't prepared to put a name on 3 more planes for the other children, that I shouldn't do it for just two. And if I didn't have decales, then why couldn't I paint the names on!!!!!!!

She was a little reluctant to fork over the funds I asked for, in order to purchase the electron microscope I told her I would need for the additional "name painting", it turned out.

Very funny story.

Have you tried E-Bay for the microscope Robert?
    Rob.

Some really nice looking models there and some creative conversions (missing canopy especially). I'm a bit worried now we have sent David and the Elves off on another potential building spree.

Miscellaneous Miniatures
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kevin
    Sorties Flown

Default Armaments in Miniature 1/200, resin F6F-3

Here's the F6F-3 model from Armaments in Miniature. Decals are from Miscellaneous Miniatures. This Hellcat is from VF-84, flying from the USS Bunker Hill.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_8167.jpg   IMG_8166.jpg  

Nice one Kevin, did you want to share the one you did for me? Or should I do that?

Miscellaneous Miniatures
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kevin
    Sorties Flown

I overlooked a few Mischa. You're certainly welcome to post those pics.

Kevin is too modest. I will post the 2 Hellcats & Helldivers this weekend.

I have a few AIM models but I have to say you guys do outstanding paint job on them. Keep them coming.

Quote Originally Posted by miscmini View Post
    I overlooked a few Mischa. You're certainly welcome to post those pics.
    USS Bataan ready. The USS Bataan flew Hellcats, so these are accurate.

Name:	Hellcasts.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	142.6 KB 
ID:	200758

All, nice jobs on these Hellcats. Came here to look for an idea how to paint mine...might have to purchase a few more now.

Wow!! Those are really nice; All of them. I'm working on mine right now, I sure hope they tur out as nice as the ones y'all did. Man, what a job. Good thing I only have 2 kids....

Name:	IMG_0821.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	204.3 KB 
ID:	218753ok, here's what I've been working on..Thanks to all those that gave input.

You've got a great result on those Ross!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Thank Ya'll very much.

Card available...

Grumman F6F Hellcat
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Thank You and for the card, I already printed out 4!

Quote Originally Posted by miscmini View Post
    Here's the F6F-3 model from Armaments in Miniature. Decals are from Miscellaneous Miniatures. This Hellcat is from VF-84, flying from the USS Bunker Hill.

Name:	WGS-F6FHellcat-Card VF-84 Unknown.png 
Views:	196 
Size:	636.5 KB 
ID:	218915
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham Resident View Post
    USS Bataan ready. The USS Bataan flew Hellcats, so these are accurate.

Name:	Hellcasts.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	142.6 KB 
ID:	200758
    Misha,
    I find that F6Fs with white ailerons and horizontal stabs are from CVL-28, aboard the USS Cabot.

Name:	WGS-F6FHellcat-Card CVL-29 Unknown2S.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	223.6 KB 
ID:	248914
    Edit: Updated with correct info, and double-sided

Planes with a white square on the outer right wing tip and on the horizontal stab are from CVL-29 aboard the USS Bataan. Did I mess this up?

Link: www.scalemates.com - Carrier Air Group markings
    Edit: I read the info incorrectly. The labels on the images were for the ones above, not below the caption.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 06-13-2018 at 23:36.
    Mike

Here are a couple of AIM Hellcats I just finished using Model Master paints and AA prop discs. Decals are a mix from MiscMiniatures and Helmut. The white 19 represents Alexander Vraciu's aircraft. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00519.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	228759Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00523.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	160.7 KB 
ID:	228760

Sweet Hellcats Dave. Moments ago I just opened my mail and now have the Vallejo Air War paint set for the US Navy & USMC colors. My Hellcats just jumped up a few spots in the queue.

VERY NICE DAVE!!! What size disc did you use for the props??

Thank you Ross.

My digital caliper seems to have sprouted legs and run off, but the disks appear to be slightly under 3/4" diameter.

Thank you Peter.

I am looking forward to seeing your handy work with those Vallejo paints. I'm also curious, do they stick to the airplane surfaces better than Model Master and Tamiya?

Hmmm... Trying to find a bit of info on a few of these posted planes, but not having any luck. Got something on another thread (Link: F6F love, which resulted in this card:

Name:	WGS-F6FHellcat-Card VF-9 Vita2SV2.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	233.2 KB 
ID:	229192

[Edit: Card corrected for Allied back colors]
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 07-29-2017 at 00:02.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
    Here are a couple of AIM Hellcats I just finished using Model Master paints and AA prop discs. Decals are a mix from MiscMiniatures and Helmut. The white 19 represents Alexander Vraciu's aircraft. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00519.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	228759Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00523.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	160.7 KB 
ID:	228760
    No. 19 I could find, but not no. 5.

Name:	WGS-F6FHellcat-Card VF-6 Vraciu2SV2.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	231.5 KB 
ID:	229193

[Edit: Card corrected for Allied back colors]
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 07-29-2017 at 00:03.
    Mike

Oh Mike...the card is great as usual, but my apologies. I hope you didn't spend a lot of time looking for #5. I just made that one up

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
    Oh Mike...the card is great as usual, but my apologies. I hope you didn't spend a lot of time looking for #5. I just made that one up
    Not too long. You could use Vita's card as the Roundel has the same red outline.
    Mike

Here are my first Hellcats. AIM, decals Miscmini, paint Vallejo Air War color series, US Navy & USMC Colors 1940-1945. Ok only one of the colors, 71.300 Glossy Sea Blue, of this set was used.
    Spinning props will be added when I get more.

The set of 8 includes 71.109 Blue Grey/Faded P.R.U. Blue, 71.121 Light Gull Grey, 71.277 Dark Gull Grey, 71.0279 Insignia White, 71.295 USN Sea Blue, 71.0298 Light Grey, 71.299 Intermediate Blue, 71.300 Glossy Sea Blue.
    These paints are for airbrush but I painted them with a regular 18/0 brush. The paint went on well and was not thin like another airbrush paint I tried with a regular brush.

I primed with flat black so had to put a second coat of the Glossy Sea Blue on as it is quite dark. The decals and just a yellow cowl ring turned a blah all blue plane into something that I really like. I can't wait to do the next ones in the multi-tone scheme.

Name:	F6F 135 1.JPG 
Views:	126 
Size:	186.1 KB 
ID:	231064

Name:	F6F 135 2.JPG 
Views:	128 
Size:	192.2 KB 
ID:	231065

Name:	F6F 137 1.JPG 
Size:	182.8 KB 
ID:	231066

Name:	F6F 137 2.JPG 
Size:	187.6 KB 
ID:	231067

Name:	F6F pair 2.JPG 
Views:	132 
Size:	227.8 KB 
ID:	231068

Name:	F6F pair 3.JPG 
Views:	131 
Size:	210.1 KB 
ID:	231069

Name:	F6F pair.JPG 
Views:	131 
Size:	245.9 KB 
ID:	231070

Name:	F6F pairb.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	211.5 KB 
ID:	231071
    Last edited by Teaticket; 08-27-2017 at 07:37.

Those planes look REALLY GOOD!! Nice job!

Nicely done, as always, Peter.

Now that I have actually punched the counters for WGS (Yay! no Gun Jams) I will probably be paying closer attention to the aircraft in these painting showcases.
    Last edited by Stumptonian; 08-31-2017 at 21:16.

Richard Stembook and his wingman in their tricolor VF-27 Hellcats, October 1944

Name:	IMG_0850.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	154.8 KB 
ID:	248091

Name:	IMG_0853.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	121.6 KB 
ID:	248092

Name:	IMG_0855.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	229.3 KB 
ID:	248093

AIM models with Miscmini decals and Italeri paint; and...

....Carl Brown and Bob Burnell in their Dark Sea Blue F6Fs as the Battle of Leyte Gulf commenced.

Name:	IMG_0842.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	219.1 KB 
ID:	248094

Name:	IMG_0843.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	136.1 KB 
ID:	248095

Name:	IMG_0846.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	205.4 KB 
ID:	248096

wwwitalik FUD (now Smooth Fine Detail Plastic) Shapeways prints, again with decals by Miscmini and Italeri paint.

Great looking aircraft Darryl.
    I am sure you will have a lot of fun unleashing those on the might of the Japanese Navy.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Great looking aircraft Darryl.
    I am sure you will have a lot of fun unleashing those on the might of the Japanese Navy.
    Rob.
    Thanks Rob! With my AIM and Blood Red Skies A6M5s (and the two wwwitalik Jills I recently bought), that is definitely going to happen .

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Misha,
    I find that F6Fs with white ailerons and horizontal stabs are from CVL-28, aboard the USS Cabot.
    Attachment 218921

Planes with a white square on the outer right wing tip and on the horizontal stab are from CVL-29 aboard the USS Bataan. Did I mess this up?

Link: www.scalemates.com - Carrier Air Group markings
    Holy cow I totally missed this post. I sure hope I didn't mess this up, my grandfather served on CVL-29. I had them painted like this for him. I tried to piece things together. I'm going to hope I'm right.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dougsheley/6705214045

https://www.flickr.com/photos/skyhawkpc/11858214194

http://www.pmcn.de/English/USN%20Mar...ings%20III.htm

file:///C:/Users/mdb13/Downloads/Navy%20Air%20Colors.pdf

Richard Stembook and his wingman in their tricolor VF-27 Hellcats, October 1944
    Great planes Darryl, they look amazing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. WGSF Official Ju 52 (1/200) Painting Thread
    By Nightbomber in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 162
    Last Post: 01-13-2024, 08:44
  2. Official DH.2 Painting Thread
    By jbmacek in forum Painting Showcase
    Replies: 79
    Last Post: 01-12-2024, 07:14
  3. Official FE2 painting thread