Ares Games

Thread: Zeppelins!

Ah post-war gems! Too bad about that Helium ban thing . . .

David,
    Have you hear of the Zeppelin Museum?

I managed to stop in for a short visit when I lived in Germany. It looks like it has gotten a bit bigger since. The 1:1 scale dining room exhibit was probably used in the Indiana Jones movie.

They even had videos available copied from the Zeppelin Historical Archives. They may have DVDs available, now.

Mike

Good pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Now I have! Thanks, their web site is great! Much to explore . . .

http://www.zeppelin-museum.de/home_en.0.html
    As if the elves needed more encouragement Clipper

Every time I think that I have quelled the urge to order one of Clippers superb Zepps someone raises the topic again.
    Rob.

God - I love Zeppelins - forced myself to invest in a Prussian Dystopian Wars army ( check out Spartan Games) on the whole basis of the fact that there air force was primarily zeppelins - who could resist a huge zeppelin with an aircraft carrier deck on top of it....
    If anyone ever wants to feel truly small - try visiting the Airship hangers at Cardington in Oxfordshire, home of the late lamented R101 - massive doesn't begin to describe them

Yes, there is a real sense of awe with the hangers alone, I would have loved to have seen a WWI Zeppelin churn overhead . . .

Chris, I also bought a Prussian Dystopian Wars force because of the Zeppelins
    Richard

They are sooo pretty - actually the whole gaming line is wonderful - some of the finest wargames miniatures I have seen - reasonably priced as well, may have to see if I cant get some Dystopian Zeppelin pictures on here when my new camera arrives

My first purchase. But like all good game ideas the later forces seem to be designed around bigger, better faster. So no-body wants the poor old Prussians as they seem to be the wooden target. But I love mine and will keep playing with them for awhile yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    God - I love Zeppelins - forced myself to invest in a Prussian Dystopian Wars army ( check out Spartan Games) on the whole basis of the fact that there air force was primarily zeppelins - who could resist a huge zeppelin with an aircraft carrier deck on top of it....
    If anyone ever wants to feel truly small - try visiting the Airship hangers at Cardington in Oxfordshire, home of the late lamented R101 - massive doesn't begin to describe them

Same here - not as 'cool'as some of the later armies - but still the best

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    On a good day the airship hangars at Cardington are visible from eight miles away - renovation work has now begun on one of the two: If memory serves me correctly it is the western hangar. Have flown over or near to them a number of times at various altitudes ... Cardington is no longer marked on any aviation sectional maps so the best way to see them is to follow the Midland Main Line VFR (Visual Flight Rules) and if you are flying northbound ... Keep looking to the right between Luton and Bedford!

Wikipedia reckons the nearest big town to Cardington is Shortstown in Bedfordshire.

In Germany Zeppelin still builds airships such as the Zeppelin LZ/N7-100 which is more of an airship than a blimp: It has the same length as a Boeing 747-400.
    Last edited by Tonx; 07-19-2015 at 19:42. Reason: Cardington is in Bedfordshire.

Look at what is going on in the Cardington sheds at the moment.....

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...ive-it-liftoff

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Look at what is going on in the Cardington sheds at the moment.....
    Impressive ... Involving Bruce ****inson in his post Astraeus Airlines Boeing 737 / 757 days.

Cardington has also been used in a few films: Definitely for the filming of Sky Captain and The World of Tomorrow which is definitely one of the silliest film I think I have ever seen! Always reminds me of the Microsoft PC game Crimson Skies

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Aussietonka View Post
    Impressive ... Involving Bruce ****inson in his post Astraeus Airlines Boeing 737 / 757 days.
    Ahem, no sweary words typed in my last Posting by the way. Typed Bruce's proper surname and the first half of it's bleeped??! Sweary words ... What me? Never

What the d1ckens do you mean Barney. Did yo not realize that whilst you can say bugger you can't mention one of our leading authors or Highwaymen without using a similar shaped letter or numeral for one of the letters unless you are happy getting bleeped! Richard must be an American thing.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    What the d1ckens do you mean Barney.
    This indeed I could have done Sir however I've never come across this matter before ... Possibly as I approach my 700th Posting on the Aerodrome there has been little to no bad taste or sweary words written in full: There have in fact been about ten and all of them were abbreviated. Compared with fifty-seven Gordon Bennetts (this being my 57th in fact!) Five Stone Me's and one Hell's Teeth!

So mentioning one particular Corgi Aviation Archive Supermarine Spitfire Mk IX I have upstairs (1/72 diecast model) is a risky one then given how it was flown by Sq Ldr **** Audet - let's see if that works as that is how he is addressed on the box label. It's one I am rather proud of owning given how any Supermarine Spitfire Mk IXs manufactured by Corgi are a bit of a bugger to find these days ...

So - back to Bruce D1ckinson who I have a lot of respect for. Not particularly associated with Iron Maiden but his subsequent flying career although I do believe that he was snapped up by an all-business class Boeing 757 operator when Astraeus Airlines went bankrupt in 2009. Now as the Daily Telegraph article introduced to this thread by David earlier shows Bruce has sunk a major investment into a project which is based at Cardington. Which is about twice the length of a Boeing 757-200!

That's the style Barney. Don't let the Bustards grind you down, Or as they say in the upper echelons of society, Nil desperandum per carborundum.
    Rob.

Ne te confundant illegitimi

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Cardington also featured prominently in this one.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLNkHAm4uNk
    Which gives a perfect excuse to post this link again, the live-action parts of this scene and a number of others were all shot around the sheds.

Interesting clip. Do you know what the film was Robert?
    I thought that German airships had Bogie wheeled trolleys on rails to get them out of the hangers or was that just at some bases?
    Rob.

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Interesting clip. Do you know what the film was Robert?
    I thought that German airships had Bogie wheeled trolleys on rails to get them out of the hangers or was that just at some bases?
    Rob.
    Not unsurprisingly its Zeppelin! from 1971.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068014/

Its possible that the film may be somewhat inaccurate as regards the bogies but it occurs to me that most of the period film`s I`ve seen that technique used date from the 1920`s or later.
    Also I`ve seen some footage of The Hindenberg being rolled out in much the same way as this scene so the bogie method probably wasn`t universal.

I wonder if it was more an American thing, adopted after the Los Angeles incident to prevent the sort of thing below from happening again?
    http://photo.sf.co.ua/g/273/15.jpg
    Last edited by Rabbit 3; 07-31-2015 at 13:01.

Similar Missions

1. zeppelins
    By Captain Bigglesmay in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 04-13-2022, 08:49
  2. WW I has zeppelins, what should we have in WW II?
    By Thomatchef in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 07-19-2015, 23:48
  3. Zeppelins?
    By Redstarny in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-29-2012, 18:21
  4. Bi-Planes and Zeppelins!
    By richard m schwab in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-28-2010, 17:40
  5. zeppelins battle