Ares Games

Thread: Zero and Wildcat fix

Users Country Flag

Name
    Chris
    Sorties Flown

Default Zero and Wildcat fix

I was thinking about all the people who are upset with the way the zero seems to be a mediocre fighter that has durability.

I might have solution but it makes the game more complicated.

First the Wildcat should ignore the first pilot wounded SD to show armor and the first fire becomes a smoke to represent the self sealing fuel tanks.

Second the Zero explodes on a fire marker, and takes fire on a smoke marker due to its fragility and pilot die instead of being wounded due to total lack of armor. To show its maneuverability I have a radical idea. The zero pilot picks one plane and gains the tailing ability.

What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by guzzoid View Post
    I was thinking about all the people who are upset with the way the zero seems to be a mediocre fighter that has durability.

I might have solution but it makes the game more complicated.

First the Wildcat should ignore the first pilot wounded SD to show armor and the first fire becomes a smoke to represent the self sealing fuel tanks.

Second the Zero explodes on a fire marker, and takes fire on a smoke marker due to its fragility and pilot die instead of being wounded due to total lack of armor. To show its maneuverability I have a radical idea. The zero pilot picks one plane and gains the tailing ability.

What do you guys think?
    Sounds like it's worth a try. That's thinking outside the box.

Tom

have you tried this in a game? Does it upset the match to much?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Chris
    Sorties Flown

Testing now. Early on I have discovered that the pilot rule should be omitted but the auto tailing has mixed results.

What I did was to make a new card for the Japanese plane. Instead of sixteen damage points it is six.

Then just double the number of planes. So If its one on one then it would be one Wildcat and two Zeros. That was to compensate for their agility. But I will be trying your idea to see what my friends think is better. Thanks again for your input.

Tom

I like the smoke to fire idea. Not sure how the auto tailing would work, do you have to be in a tailing position at all?

I don't think dropping the Zero down to only 6 points is very feasible even if you double the number planes. That makes them an almost one shot one kill at close range... kind of drastic I think.

I dislike the thought of changing the plane cards also.......something to look at though.

The card change was for a scenario and I just tried it as a quick fix for the Zero and Wildcat fix. Mostly the Zero needs more agility and slightly less armor.

Tom

Users Country Flag

Name
    Chris
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    I like the smoke to fire idea. Not sure how the auto tailing would work, do you have to be in a tailing position at all?

I don't think dropping the Zero down to only 6 points is very feasible even if you double the number planes. That makes them an almost one shot one kill at close range... kind of drastic I think.
    No but if you are tailing, you can look at both cards. Or, you can change your first card. I haven't decided yet.

I like the fire and pilot killed SD. Reducing the Zero to 10-12 damage points might bring a little more balance compared to the Wildcat.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Chris
    Sorties Flown

Without my modifications I would say that a 13 like the Dr1 in the WW1 version would be fine but there need to be a 90 deg turn in there. I think that would be enough. Next box set should have that turn in there to replace the slow turn on the c deck just for zeros. then put an errata on the cards.

I agree that what the zero needs is more agility, especially at slow speed, and fewer hit points. The 13 hit points that has been mentioned seems about right to me. Also the tight turn at low speed needs to be tighter. Tighter than any non Japaneese plane listed so far. Apparently the zero was not as manouverable at high speeds. What i've read is that at high speeds the zero's controls become very heavy and it loses some of its edge.

On the other hand, the wildcat needs to be a point or 2 tougher. They didn't call it the Grumman iron works for nothing.

Pooh

Many air combat games use the aircrafts weight as the basis of damage it is able to take. Lighter aircraft tend not to be built well or not of stronger (heavier) materials. Heavier aircraft tend to be the opposite. The P-47 is an example of the heavier aircraft, she was well known for being able to take a suprising amount af damage and keep flying.

But all things are relative with what the designer wants to achieve.

Henry

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matias
    Sorties Flown

I to like the smoke/fire idea.....

But 6 damages?

Its too nothing....

Quote Originally Posted by HardRock View Post
    Many air combat games use the aircrafts weight as the basis of damage it is able to take. Lighter aircraft tend not to be built well or not of stronger (heavier) materials. Heavier aircraft tend to be the opposite. The P-47 is an example of the heavier aircraft, she was well known for being able to take a suprising amount af damage and keep flying.

But all things are relative with what the designer wants to achieve.

Henry
    I think you hit the mark, Henry. It's what the designer wanted. We can make our own tweaks to the game as our groups feel fit to do. The think I like best is that the game is so easy to learn it appeals to a wide range of people.

Tom

Users Country Flag

Name
    Brian
    Sorties Flown

I reduce my Zeros to 12 damage, might even try 10, then give then 2 X sharp turn cards that I made (spitfires get one) in their decks. this for me gives more variety in plane abilities. So the zero becomes nimble but fragile. as it should be.

BD

benetnash

doesn't this lead to game where Zero is flying around Wildcat and tickes it until Wildcat gets clean shot and waste Zero. Game is rather balanced and such change will increase historical accuracy but decrease fun and gamepley.

Quote Originally Posted by BD Ford View Post
    I reduce my Zeros to 12 damage, might even try 10, then give then 2 X sharp turn cards that I made (spitfires get one) in their decks. this for me gives more variety in plane abilities. So the zero becomes nimble but fragile. as it should be.

BD
    Which cards did you give them?

Here's an idea. Make the Zero 12 pts and let it do steep maneuvers back to back no restrictions. Also drop one chip on the altitude for its climb counter. But when doing a dive it must do a stall first so the Wildcat can out dive it. Also a Wildcat can do a power dive as well if it wants too.

These are just ideas I'm throwing out would love to hear some feed back...

Tom

Users Country Flag

Name
    Abe
    Sorties Flown

If you want to make the Zero more maneuverable, why not just give it the "A" deck?

Quote Originally Posted by Delnore View Post
    If you want to make the Zero more maneuverable, why not just give it the "A" deck?
    O.K. That is a good idea, that gives it the slide slip but I feel it needs more.

"A" deck for zero is too fast.

Quote Originally Posted by aikavaras View Post
    "A" deck for zero is too fast.
    What do you suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by Delnore View Post
    A isn't actullay more maneuverable than C, it's just faster and includes the side slip. The slow speeds do mean tighter turning circles though...
    Last edited by Stormkahn; 01-22-2011 at 01:29.

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    What do you suggest?
    If you think the Zero can do the side slip then create the card with slightly shorter lines for the speed difference? (or just pinch em from the A deck for the night! )

Quote Originally Posted by Stormkahn View Post
    If you think the Zero can do the side slip then create the card with slightly shorter lines for the speed difference? (or just pinch em from the A deck for the night! )
    That's a good idea. Thanks for the input.

Stormkhan beat me to it, I was thinking the same. Stealing the Spitfire Special sideslips from A deck and inserting them into Zero's C deck.