Ares Games

Thread: Veltjens Albatros D V

Default Veltjens Albatros D V

I am doing a repaint of Veltjens Albatros D V in Jasta 15 but I am not sure of the colour of the underside. I have looked at pictures on the internet and there seem to be different ideas, I was going to do the underside of the wings pale blue and the fuselage dark blue with a red nose but some pictures show the underside of the fuselage pale blue as well. Any thoughts?
    Don
    Last edited by Burt; 06-13-2010 at 01:46. Reason: Extra detail added

I'm not sure about his specifically, I've only ever seen the all blue/red nose scheme, but all the Albatros' I've come across have the whole body in the same colour scheme. That seems to be the most common style (and easier to paint).

BTW, I found Revell Matt Light Blue 49 a really good match for that slightly greenish blue the Germans often used on the underside of the wings.
    Last edited by IRM; 06-13-2010 at 02:07.

Hi Burt - I have looked at my Osprey book Albatros Aces of WW1 (book1) - they show two Jasta 15 birds -
    von Beaulieu-Marconnays dated just 1917 has light blue underside of wings and fuselage whilst
    von Hantelmanns dated 'early' 1918 only has light blue underside to wings.

It looks like both options were used so it's possible Veltjens either had both styles whilst with the Jasta, or, the artists have 'best guessed' having seen other planes from the Jasta.

In Albatros Aces of WW1 book 2 it shows birds of Strahle & Rahn of Jasta 18 (same red/blue paint job) - both have light blue undersides to wings & fueleage & are dated Nov 1917 & Jan 1918 respectively.

If Veltjens was with the Jasta in 1917 go with all light blue undersides if later in 1918, don't.

Hope this helps.
    Regards Dave

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Hi Burt - I have looked at my Osprey book Albatros Aces of WW1 (book1) - they show two Jasta 15 birds -
    von Beaulieu-Marconnays dated just 1917 has light blue underside of wings and fuselage whilst
    von Hantelmanns dated 'early' 1918 only has light blue underside to wings.

It looks like both options were used so it's possible Veltjens either had both styles whilst with the Jasta, or, the artists have 'best guessed' having seen other planes from the Jasta.

In Albatros Aces of WW1 book 2 it shows birds of Strahle & Rahn of Jasta 18 (same red/blue paint job) - both have light blue undersides to wings & fueleage & are dated Nov 1917 & Jan 1918 respectively.

If Veltjens was with the Jasta in 1917 go with all light blue undersides if later in 1918, don't.

Hope this helps.
    Regards Dave
    That's interesting as Veltjens transferred from Jasta 18 to Jasta 15 with his CO Berthold in March 1918, basically the two Jastas swopped numbers so probably they kept their original planes, so maybe I should go with a pale blue underside to the fusalage.
    Don

Evidence for both Burt so go with your instinct or what looks best !
    Regards Dave

"He is wise who watches"

Thanks Iain and Dave,
    It seems I can go with either paint job.
    I havn't seen Revell paint for about 40 years I didnt know they still made it.
    Don

Model Zone carry it if you are anywhere near one - not sure but think it's all acrylic now

"He is wise who watches"

Similar Missions

1. Jasta "Boelcke" Albatros D3 repaints
    By IRM in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-28-2010, 13:51
  2. Richthofens Albatros - Jasta 11 (autumn 1917)
    By The Blue Baron in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-29-2010, 00:49