Ares Games

Thread: Which aircraft would you most like to add to the mix?

Default Which aircraft would you most like to add to the mix?

I'd like to see the following WWII planes:

U.S planes:
    P-38 Lightning
    P-51 Mustang
    F4U Vought Corsair
    Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
    Consolidated B-24 Liberator

Russian planes:
    IL2 Sturmovik

German planes:
    Junkers Ju 88
    Focke-Wulf Fw 190
    Heinkel He 111

British planes:
    Avro Lancaster
    Bristol Beaufort

Cheers
    GW

Well, I miss the two engine bombers, there are quite a few opportunities for scenarios and campaigns if they became available.

Mainly the German ones, for Battle of Britain scenarios.

[]'s...

I am a big fan of air combat in all of WWII, but I particularly like the 1939-1942 period.

I'd like to see:

B5N Kate
    A6M2 Rufe Floatplane (and other japanese floatplanes)
    SBD Dauntless
    TBD Devastator
    BF110

Quote Originally Posted by bsmith13 View Post
    I am a big fan of air combat in all of WWII, but I particularly like the 1939-1942 period.

I'd like to see:

B5N Kate
    A6M2 Rufe Floatplane (and other japanese floatplanes)
    SBD Dauntless
    TBD Devastator
    BF110
    I like the BF 110 looks nice. Brad do you prefer the pacific theater?

I'm from the pacific area and I still prefer the European theater and Russian front.

hoping that some Russian planes will start to roll out soon so I can do a Russian campaign.

Cheers
    GW

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
    I like the BF 110 looks nice. Brad do you prefer the pacific theater?

I'm from the pacific area and I still prefer the European theater and Russian front.

hoping that some Russian planes will start to roll out soon so I can do a Russian campaign.

Cheers
    GW
    Well, I really like historically-based scenarios. My two specific areas of interest are Battle of Britain, and the Pacific Campaign from December 1939 to February of 1943.

The BoB stuff happened on a nearly daily basis, and there are plenty of after battle reports that can be mined for good scenarios.

The Pacific stuff happened over a larger time frame, but there was a lot of stuff that happened besides Pearl Harbor, Coral Sea, Midway and Guadalcanal.

Since we already have minis for the Spitfire, 109, Wildcat and Zero, and the Hurricane, Val and P-40 are coming, it would be nice to round out the early war. Of course, that might just be my latent OCD talking.

As minis I would really need:
    Me262, Do335, FW190, IAR 80. Macchi Folgore C202... should I continue?

Quote Originally Posted by RedBaron View Post
    As minis I would really need:
    Me262, Do335, FW190, IAR 80. Macchi Folgore C202... should I continue?
    yeah why not as some of your choices others may not be aware of them.

what would be your top 10 WWII planes?

Cheers
    GW

ok were the Germans trying to compensate something or what???

Cheers
    GW

Users Country Flag

Name
    A. Emerson
    Sorties Flown

I love german planes, but my favourite theater is Pacific. I would like to see more for both sides: Judy, Kate, Corsair, Dauntless, Avenger.

Also, if ever the game gets to see all of WW2 planes, my secret wish is for a Shinden (despite it never got to fight).

warthog

Quote Originally Posted by bsmith13 View Post
    Since we already have minis for the Spitfire, 109, Wildcat and Zero, and the Hurricane, Val and P-40 are coming, it would be nice to round out the early war. Of course, that might just be my latent OCD talking.
    I'm all for the rounding out the early war first idea. The last Biplanes expansion kind of heads in that direction. I think we could all pick a bunch of aircraft like an early model Bf110, Ju88 etc that would round out the whole Battle of Britain scenarios and likewise with the early Pacific war.
    While i'd also like to see later models of the Me109, Spitfire and the introduction of models such as the Fw190, I'm not sure how the greatly increased speed of some of these aircraft (not to mention the jets...) would work with the current scales. Dare I suggest incompatible sets for early / mid / late war scenarios. Lets face it - there probably werent a lot of instances of Spitfire i/iis going up against me262s .

They are working in new stuff for faster planes, I'm pretty curious about it.

But IMHO, they should finish with the early years, provide enough planes to play big scenarios/campaigns set in 1939-1941 timeframe. Battle of Britain (He111, Bf119, Do17, Ju88, more Hurricanes) and the early pacific war are popular and appealing settings and should be the first to be finished. The desert war is one of my favourites too, and with the new biplanes, I'll have something to start with.

Welcome warthog good to see that you found the site.

If it does get segmented into early/mid/late war that would mean more planes, more planes = more happy players..... how could you not want that....

Cheers
    GW

I barely know the rules, so you guys know better how jet planes would interact with the propeller ones.

What I need to say though is: keep the scale. I would hate to see different scales for ww2 minis.

As to round up my previous "line-up", I would add: Shiden Kai, Gloster Meteor, Mustang, Lightning, Mosquito, Corsair Ahhh wait, I did not mention any experimental german aircraft

I agree, it would be nice to have the Early War models all covered as minis and then move on.

This topic should go in the Hobby Room or such, it may get more visuals.

One last thing: I would buy the minis I mentioned if they ever get released in WoW

artbraune

American Aircraft
    Corsair
    Lightning
    Mustang
    Thunderbolt

British Aircraft
    Halifax
    Lancaster
    Mosquito
    Stirling
    Typhoon

German Aircraft
    BF-110
    FW-190
    JU-88
    ME-262

Italian Aircraft
    Fiat G.5X Series
    Macchi C.20X Series
    Reggiane Re 200X Series

Russian Aurcraft
    Sturmovik
    PO2
    British Aircraft
    Typhoon
    Mosquito

artbraune

Forgot about the Russians - I would be happy with just about anything...

The scale will stay the same for all the WWII aircraft and all the sets will be compatible with each other. The rules for the high speed planes have been worked out, but pushed back in the release line up to allow multi-engine planes to be release (think bombers here) for more variety in missions/game play.

well that is Great News indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by artbraune View Post
    American Aircraft
    Corsair
    Lightning
    Mustang
    Thunderbolt

British Aircraft
    Halifax
    Lancaster
    Mosquito
    Stirling
    Typhoon

German Aircraft
    BF-110
    FW-190
    JU-88
    ME-262

Italian Aircraft
    Fiat G.5X Series
    Macchi C.20X Series
    Reggiane Re 200X Series
    with the addition of the HE-111 and the Beaufighter I'd be happy

I wonder with the possibility of twin engine aircraft's coming out [aka bombers] this would bring in top gunner, belly gunner, rear and side gunners.

This is going to be interesting. I haven't had a play with DoW, so not sure how all those guns would work. should be alot of fun. I guess with the Stuka due out soon we can at least practice with a rear gunner.

whats every ones view on this?

Cheers
    GW

This is what I think will happen...

Top (dorsal) guns: Will have 360 degree arch of fire for targets above it. Maybe allowed to shoot at long range to targets at the same altitude.

Belly (ventral) guns: Will have 360 degree arch of fire for targets below it. Maybe allowed to shoot at long range to targets at the same altitude.

Side (waist) guns: Will have normal firing arches depending on the line of sight for the plane they are on had in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    This is what I think will happen...

Top (dorsal) guns: Will have 360 degree arch of fire for targets above it. Maybe allowed to shoot at long range to targets at the same altitude.

Belly (ventral) guns: Will have 360 degree arch of fire for targets below it. Maybe allowed to shoot at long range to targets at the same altitude.

Side (waist) guns: Will have normal firing arches depending on the line of sight for the plane they are on had in real life.
    yeah was thinking on the same lines.

how big could we expect these bombers to be?

like will they be the medium bombers, or could we hope for some of the larger bombers? or is it simply to early to tell?

Cheers
    GW

To early to tell really. From what I have gathered, when the miniatures for bombers come out, they will be handled like the Balloon Buster set. It will be one bomber miniature with the rules and such. Not sure if it will include a fighter miniature as well though.

Following that marketing/product style, I would look for them to only release two bomber miniatures at first. One for each side. Then if sales are good, we might see more down the road.

I also think they will be larger scale bombers. I think for WWI the Gotha is a must. For WWII, I'm betting on the He 111 and the Lancaster. We'd all love to see a B-24 or B-17, just not sure if it will happen

I also think we will see smaller twin engine aircraft for WWII out side the scope of bombers, more alone the lines of two seaters in WWI.

Of course, this is just my personal thoughts based on the way things have been done, a few snippets of info out there and my own twisted thinking!

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    To early to tell really. From what I have gathered, when the miniatures for bombers come out, they will be handled like the Balloon Buster set. It will be one bomber miniature with the rules and such. Not sure if it will include a fighter miniature as well though.

Following that marketing/product style, I would look for them to only release two bomber miniatures at first. One for each side. Then if sales are good, we might see more down the road.

I also think they will be larger scale bombers. I think for WWI the Gotha is a must. For WWII, I'm betting on the He 111 and the Lancaster. We'd all love to see a B-24 or B-17, just not sure if it will happen

I also think we will see smaller twin engine aircraft for WWII out side the scope of bombers, more alone the lines of two seaters in WWI.

Of course, this is just my personal thoughts based on the way things have been done, a few snippets of info out there and my own twisted thinking!
    well if they bring out eh He 111 or the Lancaster I'd be happy.

Cheers
    GW

Quote Originally Posted by Gravitypool View Post
    I love german planes, but my favourite theater is Pacific. I would like to see more for both sides: Judy, Kate, Corsair, Dauntless, Avenger.

Also, if ever the game gets to see all of WW2 planes, my secret wish is for a Shinden (despite it never got to fight).

I am with you on the Pacific theater...more Early War stuff.

Kate and Devastator to round out the Wildcat, Dauntless, Zero and Val. A Betty and B-25 would be nice fro bombers. Throw in a Bufalo along with the P-40 and eventually an Avenger and Jill, keeping it all to 1942 or earlier.

I can envision planes attacking a 1/700 or 1/350 scale waterline model of several ships with defensive CAP to intercept. Of course water maps are very easy to do.

Once the mechanics are worked out for the higher speed planes then the P-38, P-51 and P-47 are a must.

Users Country Flag

Name
    David
    Sorties Flown

Battle of Britain:
    Bf-110
    Ju-88
    He-111
    Do-17
    Hurricanes and Stukas will come with the next set!!!

West Front:
    Fw-190
    P-51 Mustang
    B-17 Flying Fortress
    DH.98 Mosquito
    Bristol Beaufort

East Front:
    Yak-1
    Yak-3
    Mig-3
    Strurmovik
    Petlyakov Pe-8

Pacific Theater:
    B-24 Liberator
    P-40 Warhawk
    F4U Corsair
    F6F Hellcat
    and any Japanesse fighters and bombers.

PVT64

I like more the early war stuff

Japan
    A5M
    B5N
    KI43
    KI27

US
    P35
    TBD
    F2A

FrencH
    Any

Italy
    Any

Germany
    ME110
    FW190
    HE111

UK
    Fulmer
    Battle
    Swordfish

Russia
    any

I definitely want to see the Mustang, Lightning and the Me 110.

I would like to know how to handle the Me 262 with cards - I think it's much too fast.

German Planes
    Me 262
    FW 190
    He 111
    Do 335

British Planes
    DH Mosquito
    Hawker Sea Fury
    Hawker Typhoon
    Stirling

Japanese Planes
    Kawasaki Ki 61 Tony
    Mitsubishi G4M2 Betty
    Aichi D3A2 Val
    Kawanishi N1K2 George

US Planes
    B-17
    B-25
    P-38
    P-47

Name
    Victor
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by costampede View Post
    German Planes

Japanese Planes
    Kawasaki Ki 61 Tony
    Isn't the Tony in Fire From the Sky?

The planes I listed are what I would like to see as mini's.

Default Bombers

well if they bring out eh He 111 or the Lancaster I'd be happy.

Cheers
    GW
    Problem with the Avro Lancaster is that it did not enter service until 1942, and mostly flew night area bombing missions. I would rather see a Heinkel He-111 and a 1939-41 RAF day bomber like the Bristol Blenheim Mk.IV or the Vickers Wellington (see Battle of the German Bight).

One day perhaps we might get rules for night-fighters, then the Lanc would be a welcome addition, as it was remarkably manouvreable for a 4 engined bomber.

If Andrea and his team decided to release two-bomber sets I would like to see:

Heinkel He-111 / Vickers Wellington
    Junkers Ju-88A / Bristol Blenheim Mk.IV
    Mitsubishi G4M Betty / North American B-25 Mitchell
    Savoia-Marchetti SM79 Sparviero / Petlaykov Pe-2
    Boeing B-17E Flying Fortress / Consolidated B-24 Liberator

I know the last one has two Allied bombers, but Axis aircraft like the Fw-200 and He-177 were not deployed in sufficient numbers to warrant an early berth on the minis list.

Cheers,

Carl.

With the Mosquito and Lancaster would be the basis of nightfighter scenarios, with some German nachtjagers. Me110 nj, Ju88 nj and He219. Do177 and Me410 for return missions.

My idea for the 262 would be to play a fast straight card with every manuever.

Henry

Ace of the Reich

I would like to see the following planes, as cards or minis:

United States
    P-47
    P-51
    B-25

United Kingdom
    Any

Germany
    Me 262
    FW 190
    Go 229

Japan
    Any

Tyler, if you have not yet, go vote for those planes in the Poll section of the site.

Ace of the Reich

I wish I could go vote, but it won't let me vote on the polls

Doh!

Voted on all of them.

Thanks,
    Henry

Corsair
    Lightning
    Mustang
    Yep, pretty much all of those. Especially the Corsair, one of my favorite all time aircraft. Marine Corps aviation baby!

"We are all little lambs who have lost our way, Baa Baa Baa"

Baa Baa Baaaaaaa!!! Brings back memories!!
    I am up for a lot of stuff. But as far as miniatures go anything that is not Japanese for a set ot two would be great!! After series three they will already have far and away more planes (10) than any other nation miniature wise. Heck if we are lucky after series III there will be 5 american planes if even two of the P-40's are American. It makes for boring Pacific theater games. The fact that they didn't do a SBD or any allied Dive bomber in miniature form was a huge mistake on their part. The WWII miniature side is unbalanced, especially after series III. Those Japanese Hien's are going to mop the floor with anything they are lucky enough to get in range of.

Users Country Flag

Name
    William "Jack"
    Sorties Flown

The one I would most like to see is the Hawker Typhoon. I would also like to see the Tempest, the Westland Whirlwind, and the Boulton Paul Defiant.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Abe
    Sorties Flown

Keep in mind that the game has an early-war emphasis. Many of the aircraft on these wishlists are just too powerful to be represented by the game.

I would like to see the following single-engine fighters:

1. Brewster Buffalo (F2A, B-339). Colors: Finland (Winter War), RAF (Malaya or Burma), NEI (NEI 1942), USMC (Midway)

2. Curtiss Hawk 75 (P-36, Mohawk). Colors: RAF/RIAF (Burma), France (France 1940), Finland (Winter War)

3. Bouton Paul Defiant. Colors: RAF (Battle of Britain)

4. IAR 80. Colors: Romanian

I have got to change the fighters I would like to see
    jap
    Oss
    car figter
    USA
    Dauntless dive bomber
    Brewster Bufferlow
    Italy
    Any fighter
    The point is that with a few directed releases to the current releases it would be possible to fight "The Battle of Brittian" "Guadacanal" "Malta" "Malaya"
    As far as bombers go
    Jap
    Betty Bomber
    American/Australian
    Locked Hudson
    IItaly
    Cant. 1007 or SM7
    Yet again these would help with these air battles

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

I'd like to see the following WWII planes:

U.S planes:
    P-38 Lightning
    P-51 Mustang
    F4U Vought Corsair
    Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
    Consolidated B-24 Liberator

Russian planes:
    IL2 Sturmovik

German planes:
    Junkers Ju 88
    Focke-Wulf Fw 190
    Heinkel He 111

British planes:
    Avro Lancaster
    Bristol Beaufort

Cheers
    GW
    Every damn one of them! Plus;

USA
    B-25
    C-47
    SBD
    TBF/TBM

Japan
    "Betty"
    "Nancy"
    "Dinah"
    "Kate"

Soviet
    PE2

German
    FW200
    Dornier Do 17

Great Britain
    Wellington
    Bristol Beaufighter
    Mosquito

Yeah, I'm dreamin', but you asked for it!

Users Country Flag

Name
    William "Jack"
    Sorties Flown

Mosquito and Sturmovik. I'd also like to see some of the experimental planes, like the MXY-7 "Bakka Bomb", the J7W Shinden, and the Me 163, while we're dreaming.

First, we need Dauntless/Helldiver/Barracuda or similar Allied dive- or multirole dive/torpedo bomber for game-balance IMMEDIATELY-- it's just WRONG that the Axis gets all the bombers, especially with how important they were in the carrier war!

Second, some twin-engine light and medium bombers and heavy fighters. Yeah, I know the Beau, He111 and B-25 are prototyped and announced... but look at how long the same official status held for Duke Nukem Forever.

After that, maybe heavies and/or some additional Series 1-3 variants and nationalities--come on, why can't we get some big-box 6- or 12-packs for Battle of Britain, Pearl Harbor, Eastern Front or something similar, or squadron-packs of notable units?
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    First, we need Dauntless/Helldiver/Barracuda or similar Allied dive- or multirole dive/torpedo bomber for game-balance IMMEDIATELY-- it's just WRONG that the Axis gets all the bombers, especially with how important they were in the carrier war!

Second, some twin-engine light and medium bombers and heavy fighters. Yeah, I know the Beau, He111 and B-25 are prototyped and announced... but look at how long the same official status held for Duke Nukem Forever.

After that, maybe heavies and/or some additional Series 1-3 variants and nationalities--come on, why can't we get some big-box 6- or 12-packs for Battle of Britain, Pearl Harbor, Eastern Front or something similar, or squadron-packs of notable units?
    I'm with you on that. Still waiting on P-40s and more...
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by JackalWSU3 View Post
    I'd also like to see some of the experimental planes, like the MXY-7 "Bakka Bomb", the J7W Shinden, and the Me 163, while we're dreaming.
    Well, two of your "experimental' planes saw action, not in great numbers, but action none the less. The Shindin did her test flight the day after Hiroshima, and was scheduled for another with her ammunition loaded the day Nagasaki was bombed, that was cancelled.

'Never engaged' is a line from another WWII game. This was the authors excuse to not include them in the game. Some aircraft 'never engaged' yet flew combat missions. Meteor was ordered to not engage unless the enemy were flying jets, the P-80's (all 2 of them) flew escort missions. Do335 was pursued during a test flight, but outran the pursuers. Gotha 229 did one test flight but was damaged beyond repair when the factory was bombed.

There are hordes of interesting X planes from all over the world, lets get the fighting planes out first.
    Last edited by HardRock; 06-08-2011 at 02:35. Reason: spelling

As for "personal want" as opposed to "game need", see av.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Similar Missions

1. Best Aircraft and Hobby Links
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 01-11-2019, 15:13
  2. Which aircraft would you most like to add to the mix?
    By AlgyLacey in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 04-20-2011, 13:29
  3. Russian Aircraft
    By Doug in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-18-2010, 21:56