Ares Games

Thread: Russian Razorback.

Default Russian Razorback.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RuskieP47.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	91770

This Razorback was a subscribed aircraft from the Knights of Pythias social organization. I personally was unaware that the P-47 was part of lend lease.

Quote Originally Posted by phililphall View Post

Name:	RuskieP47.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	91770

This Razorback was a subscribed aircraft from the Knights of Pythias social organization. I personally was unaware that the P-47 was part of lend lease.
    Technically, *everything* could be part of LL provided it was "not required by the US". US production being what it was, it had far more units than it had people to crew them; while other nations had the opposite problem; so anything the US couldn't use immediately could be rented or given away to allies who needed it, thus solving both problems (and if everyone was drawing from the same manufacturing pool, logistics was greatly simplified, as well).

This is most likely a -22-Rs or -27-RE; some 200 were sent via the Middle East ( plus 3 -10-REs). The Russians liked the rugged design, but found the low-level performance didn't match their needs (the -D was meant for high-altitude work; at low altitudes, it accelerated poorly and handled worse); as a result, less than half made it to front-line units, and those rarely saw action.

Still -- at least now we know what the third Ares P-47 paint scheme will be: The Mexican Air Force Jug from PTO, the Brazilian-marked unit from Italy, and this. :)
    Last edited by csadn; 05-29-2013 at 13:58.

This P47 is the first I've seen in Russian markings. I too didn't know they went to the USSR. Anyone know how many were given/sold/lent to the Russians?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

I don't have the exact numbers handy, but it was only about 200, almost all in 1944.

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post

Still -- at least now we know what the third Ares P-47 paint scheme will be: The Mexican Air Force Jug from PTO, the Brazilian-marked unit from Italy, and this.
    LOL!

Technically, *everything* could be part of LL provided it was "not required by the US". US production being what it was, it had far more units than it had people to crew them; while other nations had the opposite problem; so anything the US couldn't use immediately could be rented or given away to allies who needed it, thus solving both problems (and if everyone was drawing from the same manufacturing pool, logistics was greatly simplified, as well).

This is most likely a -22-Rs or -27-RE; some 200 were sent via the Middle East ( plus 3 -10-REs). The Russians liked the rugged design, but found the low-level performance didn't match their needs (the -D was meant for high-altitude work; at low altitudes, it accelerated poorly and handled worse); as a result, less than half made it to front-line units, and those rarely saw action.

Still -- at least now we know what the third Ares P-47 paint scheme will be: The Mexican Air Force Jug from PTO, the Brazilian-marked unit from Italy, and this.
    Seriously?!? A Mexican and a BRAZILIAN P-47? Plus a Russian one?

Thumbs up

Some P-47 inspiration for you!

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 26_3.jpg   26_3_a1.jpg   26_4.jpg   26_7.jpg   148_2.jpg  

Yes, the Jambock squadron and the "Aguilas Aztecas" (i think thats the name). Beautiful aircrafts.
    Thanks

Nick

Beautiful, but statistically insignificant.

If Ares doesn't do Zemke, somebody needs their head examined.

Zemke??

My point is, re the comment about a Russian, a Mexican and a Brazilian for the three prints without ONE from the country that originated the aircraft and provided most of the pilots who rose to fame flying it.

The 200 Russians of which only half were issued, on a scale of tens of thousands built, are a drop in an ocean. The Aztec Eagles, and the Brazilian forces in Italy, while they fought bravely also, are similar in terms of raw numbers deployed. Two USAAF aces (one of Zemke's, and either another ETO or one PTO) and one "Other" seems the logical way to go here, save the others for the reprint--because mark my words, if this game lasts long enough there will come a time when Ares runs out of significant aircraft for new sculpts and has to rely on reprints to keep the game alive and maintain the revenue stream.
    Last edited by Diamondback; 09-01-2014 at 19:44.

Nicolas

They do add a little color! The green on the Mexican birds tail looks way to dark.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    My point is, re the comment about a Russian, a Mexican and a Brazilian for the three prints without ONE from the country that originated the aircraft and provided most of the pilots who rose to fame flying it.

The 200 Russians of which only half were issued, on a scale of tens of thousands built, are a drop in an ocean. The Aztec Eagles, and the Brazilian forces in Italy, while they fought bravely also, are similar in terms of raw numbers deployed. Two USAAF and one "Other" seems the logical way to go here, save the others for the reprint--because mark my words, if this game lasts long enough there will come a time when Ares runs out of significant aircraft for new sculpts and has to rely on reprints to keep the game alive and maintain the revenue stream.
    This way I totally agree with you. It would be unlogical if none of the P-47 were American. As a Brazilian, of course I want a Brazilian P-47. But Brazil was a minor "factor" in the war. This way I dont see any logical reason to put a Brazilian P-47. It woukd be cool? For me at least, yes. But that its not me that decide. I agree that the P-47 should be: 2 American (probably one for European theater and the other for the Pacific) and one Russian...
    Thanks

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by richard m schwab View Post
    Nicolas

They do add a little color! The green on the Mexican birds tail looks way to dark.

Rich

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	142163

Views:	45 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	142164

Size:	216.9 KB 
ID:	142165

Actually, I'd suspect 2 USAAF/1 Mexican might be better sellers, since the FAM used their birds pretty hard in the Philippines and there ain't a lot of notable Russian P-47 activity.

Diamnod, are you sure you did not miss Chris's secret joke?

British would make a lot more sense than Russian for the non USAAF Thunderbolt-the RAF actually used theirs in combat, primarily in Burma.

Quote Originally Posted by Barkmann View Post
    Yes, the Jambock squadron and the "Aguilas Aztecas" (i think thats the name). Beautiful aircrafts.
    Thanks

Nick

thats correct. they served briefly with some distinction after a very long retraining period. i think the usaaf command hoped to delay their entry into combat as long as possible a la tuskegee airman.

Quote Originally Posted by Barkmann View Post

Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	142163

Views:	45 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	142164

Size:	216.9 KB 
ID:	142165
    What a magnificent set of pictures Nicolas.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thanks Rob. The first two are from rOEN911 and the other I found on internet, not sure who is the artist.
    Thanks

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    Diamnod, are you sure you did not miss Chris's secret joke?
    He didn't -- he's just trying desperately to ignore it. ;)

He didn't -- he's just trying desperately to ignore it.
    Joke Chris! What joke?
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Yeah, im a little lost here too...

Re-read post #2 in this thread -- now consider: Given the levels of outrage generated by having *one* non-mainstream paint scheme out of three, imagine the reaction to *all* the minis being little-known paint-schemes....

Oh... Ok then... But I still want the Brazilian one.

Similar Missions

1. Russian roundels.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-25-2013, 00:26
  2. Russian cockades?
    By Jäger in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-12-2012, 08:17
  3. Russian aces
    By grumpybear in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 7