Ares Games
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Card Sleeves, Anybody use them?

My second installment arrived as promised on Saturday, so still inside the week.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Just an update to this thread. Having purchased 500 of the standard card sleeves and playing with them, then getting to see and feel the premium sleeves -- I will be buying all premium sleeves from now on (thanks HardRock!). There really is quite a difference in feel between the two styles, with the heavier premium sleeves being stiffer, less slippery, and closer/tighter fitting. There is a ~40 percent increase in price, but I feel it is worth the cost difference.

Cheers,
    KW

Quote Originally Posted by Belis4rius View Post
    I use these and find they have no detrimental effect on the game and make a big difference to keeping your cards in good condition.

I have a small bunch of guys who play now and again and frankly some need reminding not to toy with them or bend them.

The ones I use are manufactured by Mayday games and you want 45mm x 68 mm, which I believe is the 'European' size.

http://www.boardgameextras.co.uk/ite...=48&sub_cat=40

from here you get 100 for £1.30!
    hi belis4rius
    can you tell me if the sleeves fit perfectly with cards?thank you!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matias
    Sorties Flown

I got today a pack of the FFG sleeves....
    Nice, but I found problematic for the A damage deck of the deluxe edition...

Now I bought some Mayday ones, lets see how thick they are..
    Last edited by Galland; 08-20-2010 at 07:53.

What was the issue with the sleeves and the deluxe ed. A damage deck?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matias
    Sorties Flown

its a big babel tower ready to fall!

its 3 or 4 times hight than with out the sleeves..

Quote Originally Posted by Galland View Post
    its a big babel tower ready to fall!

its 3 or 4 times hight than with out the sleeves..
    Don't get it. All mine are done, and only about 20% higher. Are you using the extra thick sleeves perchance?
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matias
    Sorties Flown

couse I have the Fantasy flight ones...
    Im waiting for some Mayday in the next 2 weeks...

Quote Originally Posted by Galland View Post
    couse I have the Fantasy flight ones...
    Im waiting for some Mayday in the next 2 weeks...
    Ah! Yes. I have the thin Mayday ones. They are excellent.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matias
    Sorties Flown

OOK!
    I recibed today the Mayday sleeves!
    Its so nice!
    So far I“ll use the FF for the manoeuvre decks and the Mayday for the damage...

Now I need some place to keep them safe...

Now I need some place to keep them safe...[/QUOTE]

The Col has this in hand.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matias
    Sorties Flown

Yea I know!
    Im waiting for the big purchase!!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Bob in Florida
    Sorties Flown

I just got on eBay, did a search on "Mayday + sleeves" and they're available there. So for WoW, we need the "Euro" size, NOT the "USA" size, correct?

That is correct, you need the mini euro size.

Hi,

I also purchased a couple of packets of them. Very good to protect the decks, especially the damage decks that need to be often shuffled.

Some cads needed to be a small cut to fit in the board game sleeves
    I also bought arcanetinmen board game sleeves in Portugal

Regards
    Carlos

Very interesting forum. I can see lots of pros and cons.
    Liquids can damage cards and make sleeves unusable and residues from snacks can make a mess of everything.
    Normally, I make it a rule the everyone washes their hands before playing any games I have. For short games (30 minutes or less), no food or drinks allowed on or near the playing surface. For long games, drinks on coasters and only near the edge of the playing surface. Non-greasy snacks only on TV trays. I tried drinks on TV trays but they are too unstable.
    I use large coffee mugs for drinks. They are low and wide enough to for most people to not knock over easily.
    I can see where heavy player could wear out a deck or two, but if I were to play only with my own decks, I would think the cards would hold up pretty well.
    Definitely something to think about.

I also use the sleeves from Fantasy Flight. I have got all my cards covered from the box sets. I find they fit ok although now they dont fit into the box cutouts anymore. But this is not a detrement. The sleeves are clear and does not cover any part of the card it is really just for protection against accidental spills and possible bending damage and marks.
    I would suggest getting one pack and see if they are for you.
    Being official Fantasy Flight they are not cheap and you get 50 sleeves so you can get one pack and they should give you enough for a two plane game to check out.
    In Uk IGUK sells them for £3 a pack whils Shire games £1.99.
    Chris

So, while I agree the sleeves protect the cards from wear, keeping them away from liquids is of primary concern. A bad/large spill could make things worse. The liquid could easily wick into the sleeves and then make the cards stick inside and ultimately destroy the cards and make the sleeves useless.

I going to have to get some of these, I find that some of the cards are getting marked and I was worried that it would be a problem to get replacements without buying new box sets.

Is there any reason why they don't sell damage deck's etc as seperate items.

Cheers,

Aled

Quote Originally Posted by Pope View Post
    I going to have to get some of these, I find that some of the cards are getting marked and I was worried that it would be a problem to get replacements without buying new box sets.

Is there any reason why they don't sell damage deck's etc as seperate items.

Cheers,

Aled
    My guess would be as a marketing strategy Then everyone knows I'm synical .
    Rob.

I'm with you on this one Rob. But I did talk myself in to buying the Flight of Giants expansion box set yesterday in order to obtain the B Damage Deck for use in a couple of fighter games after work.

Now I cann't wait to have a look at Shaun's bomber models as I prefer playing with mini's rather than cards unless the boys and I are away from home. In which case the cards are a lot less trouble to transport.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Missions

1. Anybody Use One Card?
    By KirkH in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 06-08-2016, 08:49
  2. Bomber Card Question
    By Kwakelee in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-18-2010, 07:12
  3. card packs are they necessary?
    By wirrakee in forum WGF: General Discussions