Ares Games

Thread: Firing range in 1/144 scale

Default Firing range in 1/144 scale

I have always been of the opinion that the current length of the range rule us for firing worked just fine when playing in 1/144 scale. My group plays where you measure from the firing plane's center post to any part of the target plane's base. This has worked just fine for single seat planes and most two seaters.

However, with heavy bombers like the B-17 and B-24, measuring from the gun locations has shown that the current range ruler is very short. When testing my new B-17 stand, the bottom turret only has a range slightly longer then the wing.

Do you guys think that the range ruler should be lengthened to counter this?

Presumably if you used 1/200 scale a/c (as per the DoW a/c scales), you still wouldn't get much more of a range.

I'd be inclined to increase the ruler length by, say, 50% for all aircraft, not just bombers
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

The difference of firing rang over the wing from the top turret to the wing tip between 1/200 and 1/144 would be an extra 1.25 inches (30mm)... so not a lot, but enough to matter.

If we were to convert the range ruler from 1/200 scale to 1/144, it should go from 19.5cm to 27cm.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    The difference of firing rang over the wing from the top turret to the wing tip between 1/200 and 1/144 would be an extra 1.25 inches (30mm)... so not a lot, but enough to matter.

If we were to convert the range ruler from 1/200 scale to 1/144, it should go from 19.5cm to 27cm.
    Morning chaps
    If you increase the range ruler then you will have to change the movement cards as well I did this for the jets but not for WW2 as it could put the whole thing out?

Regards Kev

In the games I have played with Rich S. he uses the same cards and firing ruler as the regular game. I guess never thought about any difference just that the planes are a bit bigger.

Of course another option would be to just stick with WW1 combat and forgo all of the headache described above...after all, who really cares what happened with air combat after November 12, 1917?

Quote Originally Posted by redcoon2 View Post
    Of course another option would be to just stick with WW1 combat and forgo all of the headache described above...after all, who really cares what happened with air combat after November 12, 1917?
    What, not interested in the RCW?
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I would say if the base sizes don't change why change the ruler.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Similar Missions

1. 1/144 scale role call
    By Oberst Hajj in forum 1/144 Scale Dawn of War
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 09-08-2012, 19:29
  2. about 1/144 Scale Heavy Bomber Stands
    By het in forum 1/144 Scale Dawn of War
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-04-2010, 05:56
  3. For those who enjoy their DoW in 1/144 scale
    By Roger Wilco in forum 1/144 Scale Dawn of War