Ares Games

Thread: 32 Squadron B Flight DH.2s

Default 32 Squadron B Flight DH.2s

This was my entry into the DH.2 repaint contest.

B flight has decent photographic documentation for the coskpit nacelle and wheel covers, but nothing that I could find for the Numbering. So I used info for C Flight SN 7851 as a guide for style and placement, and created numbers and letters that I thought matched that style closely enough.

I think I ened up making the wing-top characters a little large, but just don't tell anyone.

I chose B flight instead of C flight because I didn't want to deal with the visible roundel on the lower left wing of 7851, and I also had notions of mounting some rockets (which B flight was documented to have used on at least 2 planes) on one of the models. But that didn't pan out. The serial numbers were chosen from planes verified to be assigned to 32 Sqn. I tried to choose serial numbers associated with known pilots and that might have still been active during the Bloody April campaigns. I ended up with:
    B1 (Flight Commander) - Hubert Wilson Godfrey Jones
    B2 - Charles Edward Murray Pickthorn
    B3 - Gwilym Hugh Lewis

I had intended to use the Andrews DH.2

which would've only required a repaint to the struts, cockpit nacelle side panels,and wheel hubs, but I accidentally ordered the Lanoe Hawker scheme, which ended in a complete repaint of every surface except the machine gun and propeller tips. The up side is that I if I had to repaint everything I could justify getting rid of those purple roundels and place the new ones in the proper spot, all the way out to the ends of the wings.

Speaking of roundels, I don't know if anyone noticed that machine 7938 (B2) isn't really well documented. That's because I made an inventory error and didn't have enough roundels for all 3 planes at the time of the contest. It's also (partly) why ths post is so late in coming... So here's some more shots with all 3 planes complete.

Credits
    Model - Ares
    Decals - Roundels from Dom's Decals; other markings self-designed, printed by Oberst Hajj
    Last edited by Pseudotheist; 05-25-2013 at 17:40.

They do make a fine sight, all lined up together Todd.
    The best I could do was Kyte and a Wingman, but not in time to compete.
    Rob.

They are a cracking examples of repaints Todd

Similar Missions

1. Ohio: Ohio Squadron and Flight Leaders
    By CappyTom in forum US Wing
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 11-11-2011, 00:59