Ares Games

Thread: Dogfighting origins

Question Dogfighting origins

The term “dogfight” originated during WWI. The pilot had to turn off the plane’s engine from time to time so it would not stall when the plane turned quickly in the air. When a pilot restarted his engine midair, it sounded like dogs barking.

Not sure if I buy that though. The term dogfight has been used for centuries to describe a melee; a fierce battle between two or more opponents.

Anyone know where this term might have started?

Originally it wasn't dogfight it was a much earthier description and it did have its origin in WWI. As I recall the story it was created in the trenches when a soldier observed it was like two dogs *******. It was picked up and cleaned up by correspondents and became the accepted name for a combat between aircraft.

Here is another version.

Etymology The term dogfight has been used for centuries to describe a melee; a fierce battle between two or more opponents. The term gained popularity during World War II, although its origin in air combat can be traced to the latter years of World War I. The first written reference to the modern day usage of the word comes from Fly Papers, by A. E. Illingworth, in 1919, “The battle develops into a ‘dog-fight’, small groups of machines engaging each other in a fight to the death.”

Rob.

And, to back up Rob's Wiki entry that the term existed before WWI:

From http://everything2.com/title/Dogfight - 'The etymology of this word originated in the 1880s meaning a "riotous brawl.” During World War I it came to be used as slang for an "aerial combat" among the air forces.'

From http://dictionary.reference.com/brow...hts dog·fight/ˈdɔgˌfaɪt, ˈdɒg-/ Show Spelled [dawg-fahyt, dog-] Show IPA noun, verb, dog·fought, dog·fight·ing.
    noun
    1. a violent fight between dogs.
    2. a fight between warring fighter planes.
    3. any rough-and-tumble physical battle.
    verb (used with object)
    4. to engage in a dogfight with.
    verb (used without object)
    5. to engage in a dogfight.
    Origin:
    1650–60;

I have heard that in WWI usage it only referred to multi-plane battles, thus the 'riotous brawl' aspect. It was during WWII that it evolved from that usage to mean any combat between aircraft.

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

Having watched my dogs running around in circles and chasing each other's tails in play fights, I have always assumed that the term came from canine play fights.

Here is another reference to Dog Fighting.
    Rob.

Dog fighting is a blood sport that can be traced back to ancient times.[1] Blood sports involving the baiting of animals has occurred since antiquity for example at the Colosseum in Rome during the reign of the Roman Empire. It possibly reached the peak of its popularity during the 16th century. The various animal types involved in the bait allowed for the breed specialization and basic anatomical forms of fighting dogs, which we see today.
    Dog fighting has been documented in the recorded history of many different cultures, and is presumed to have existed since the initial domestication of the species.[citation needed] Many breeds have been bred specifically for the strength, attitude, and physical features that would make them better fighting dogs.
    Scholars[who?] speculate that large-scale human migration, development of trade, and gifts between royal courts of valuable fighting dogs facilitated the spread of fighting dog breeds. There are many accounts of military campaigns which used fighting dogs, as well as royal gifts in the form of large dogs.

I was going to start a thread on this term an instead found this older thread. It seems that there are several different origins of this term. In relation to aerial combat, another definitive correlation is that it must be close quarters combat between fighter aircraft....you must be able to "see" your opponent.

Where it really started? I suppose is anyone's guess.

Thanks for resurrecting this... missed it the first time 'round.

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    Thanks for resurrecting this... missed it the first time 'round.
    As did I. I'd wondered myself, from time to time, & then always forgot again to ask!

No matter what the origins... it fits our aerial combat well. Cheers! Thanks for the thread! "Das Phantom" aka Wayne

Here is another 'origin'.

Most excellent David...its settled then! ....Love that cartoon.

Thumbs up

Wonderful Clip!
    Thank you David.

Similar Missions

1. One man's Origins - Day 1
    By Guntruck in forum Past Origins Game Fairs
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-13-2012, 16:14
  2. One Man's Origins - Day 3
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-11-2012, 22:55
  3. One Man's Origins - Day 5
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-11-2012, 01:48
  4. One Man's Origins - Day 2
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-11-2012, 01:26
  5. WGF & WGS: For anyone going to Origins!
    By richard m schwab in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-10-2011, 08:35