4 6.15%

13 20.00%

7 10.77%

8 12.31%

10 15.38%

9 13.85%

Thread: How long are you in service?

Question How long are you in service?

Today, I was thinking about my entering to the world of Wings of War / Glory. The oldest log (that I could found) is from 27th February 2009 but I am sure I bought my Deluxe Set on Sunday (22nd February 2009?).
    How long do you play WoG? Is there still anyone who started only with card type of the game?
    Last edited by Dan-Sam; 05-07-2013 at 17:09. Reason: grammar

Smile

I started in 2009 when one of our games club chaps brought along a selection of minis including the Kempf Triplane which I had seen pics ofin Osprey books & I was facinated by the models. Soon checked out the game, brought some minis & Famous Aces & the rest as they say is "History"!
    Never played with just the cards.

Just had a thought. Is there a way that we could put planes on the end of the bars on a poll? It is something I haven't seen anywhere else so I am not sure how feasible it would be to implement.

Was pulled in by the models. Bought them on the day of the first series release (in I believe 2007) without any real intention of ever playing the game.
    Last edited by greenalfonzo; 06-08-2013 at 20:49.

End of 2012.

I originally saw WoW in a store several years ago, but thought, "Nope. Not for me." Live and learn, I regret to say.

I can't remember exactly, but about 2007 I bought a copy of Famous Aces. It languished on my shelf forgotten until I saw a video of gameplay in 2011. Having come from a Warhammer background, the simplicity and speed of gameplay amazed me. After that I started buying minis and boxed sets, joined the 'drome, and have been hooked ever since!

Joined in with the first Wings of War WW I Deluxe set.

I think this was 2009.

I was introduced to the game when I dropped into a gaming club while on a business trip, in June 2012. Been looking for local opponents since, building paper planes, buying up all the Nexus WWF box games/booster packs, and now buying reprints and used minis.

Mike :-)

I joined in January last year after introducing Hayden to the game, I started collecting the Nexus planes ages ago but sadly my former wargames club didn't seem to play Wings of War on a regular basis, so my planes and rules were left in storage at my parents house, but I rediscovered them and now I'm addicted to the hobby, and I cannot believe I'm very nearly a two year veteran on the this fantastic gaming forum.

I joined The Drome on the second of October 2009. I had been playing for just over a year before that.
    Rob.

Early 2009 as a card only game. The group I was with switched back to Canvas Eagles for games with miiniatures.

Put 2011 as thats when I joined the forum but played the card game a few times when it first came out and bought the game when the first series came out (whenever that was )

I bought several box versions and blisters probably in 2007 and enjoyed it as the card version on and off. The minis looked pricey then, but once when I was in the black and the little planes started growing on me, I decided to buy some miniatures and was carried away completely.
    Enlisted here in 2011

I started back in 2009 when I saw the minis and jumped right in. Started with WW1 but then loved the WW2 version better. Wanting for more WW2 fighters. My join date here was 08-31-2009 and it doesn't seem that long ago.

Thomas

Joined after buying a Duel set. I came for the miniatures, but stayed for the game.

I have a friend who only plays with the cards; I'm hoping to get him into the miniatures.

Started looking at the game in Oct 2009, saw it played at SELWG with the minis & was hooked from then on, lurked on the forum for about six months & joined in May 2010...that's when the madness set in !!

I saw the WGF miniatures when they first came out and had four Series 1 by Christmas. By the end of March 2009 I had started an 18 month WW1 campaign and it snowballed from there.

I joined the wow-nexus yahoo group on 9 February 2009 and signed up to this forum on 19 August 2009.

My WGS collection surpassed WGF in early 2012, and they now stand at 109 and 220 respectively.

Looked at the game for over a year before starting

A friend had the card version which we played occasionally but initially I didn't go for the miniatures until a few years ago then I was hooked.

I don't remember exactly. In view of the facts:
    - my first two boxes were WYB and BD (one for me and one for my brothers birthday)
    - FA was sold out
    - I don't remember any boosters in the shop at that time
    - I'm sure it was before the first minis were released.
    ...I guess autumn 2005.

I bought the first two boxed sets in May 2006, Always been interested in WW1 aircraft but never found a rule set I enjoyed. Saw the two boxed sets at the Milton Keynes show and at the time thought I would get them so my boys would play and maybe get them off the computers.
    Unfortunately they didnt take to the game, I put it to one side for a year or so, then found the minis at Triples in 2008, I think, got some skytrex and all the minis except the Red Baron as I got hold of an original Deluxe set from italy. Since then played solo until I found this site in 2010.
    Now got one or two modelsa of various manufacturesr and need my "Drome" fix daily.
    Hello My name is Boney10 and I'm a WoGoholic

It'd have been mid-2009, when I first saw the miniatures. Knew of the game previously but it was them that finally pulled me in.

Was introduced to the game by a demo in 2009. Didn't own any minis or boxed sets until 2009.

My first file is from 12/12 2007 but I think we started playing the game (always with miniatures) around 2 months prior.

I was introduced to the game (cards only) in 2007 or 2008 at a friends house. Didn't buy in until I saw the minis in a store in 2009. Found the site with a google search.
    Karl

I got the card game in spring of 2010!!! I discovered the Aerodrome and joined in October 2010!!! Then you guys and gals got me started on miniatures, and my fate was sealed!!!

I started just a few weeks ago. Shame! Read a review years ago which said Wings was a great game. At the time I wanted to give it a go but thought it might be a gamble in terms of finding opponents. As a result I missed out big time.

I originally had the idea of getting the WW2 version with a plan to concentrate on Spitfires and Me 109's. I have a bit of an obsession about Spitfires and mostly do Wargaming in 28mm WW2, but when I saw the colour schemes on the WW1 planes I was hooked. I admit I did not know too much about WW1 air combat other than having heard of Von Richthofen. I got the duel pack with Brown and MvR, Stackard's Camel and Kirschstein's DR.1.

The rules and accessories box set, Lother Von Richthofen, Jacobs, Udet, Barker, Ellwood, Rickenbacker and the other duel pack soon followed. Fell in love with the rules. Think they are far more fun and fluid than X-Wing.

The funny thing is that I seem to be able to get a game with friends who hate Wargaming all the time. One has become a real fan and even the wife is keen to have a game once a week. Other Wargamers are a different story.
    Last edited by monty's double; 06-08-2013 at 15:47.

I started on 2008, Wings of War - Dawn of World War 2. Playing just with cards.

I registered to the Aerodrome site in 2009, but then stopped playing WoW for some 2 years.

In 2012 started to play again for some time, but this time with minis.

And finally, in 2013, I returned to the game, and this site. Bought both Rules & Accessories Packs (WW1 & 2), bombers and heavy fighters fo WGS and some minis (4 for the moment) for WGF.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jonathan
    Sorties Flown

To be honest, I am not entirely sure. My son gave me a copy of 'Watch Your Back' for my birthday and it was some time after that that I first saw 'Burning Drachens' although both were published in 2005 or there abouts. So, I put it as 2006 which is close enough I would think. There were no official miniatures for some time after we started playing and they came out in 2007 as far as I know.

I never even noticed the game until the minis hit the shelves. The FLGS kept the minis right near the front door, so I was always tempted, but it wasn't until a friend got them as an Xmas gift that I jumped on the bandwagon.

Went to BGGCON 2012 (November 2012) and played the WWII version one night. The next night, I played the WWI Balloon Busting scenario and was hooked! When I returned from BGGCON, I started by buying the new releases in Wings of Glory.

Since I'm a model builder (1/35 armor, 1/48 aircraft. and 1/72 American Bombers), I thought I could build my own to match the playing cards in "Watch Your Back" and Buring Drachens"

While investigating into building my own minis, I discovered this website...then it became an addiction!

I track all of my plays of board, card, and miniature games. My first play of Wings of War was January 5, 2006. And yes, the aircraft miniatures were foreign to me at that point. We actually played it on a pool table at the German Club in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada.

Cheers,
    Michael

I first saw them in a mates shop in Jan 2009. The mins were very nice, but I was not going to get into anything new, Then I played a game..........and joined Carl's campain and bought more mins and stuff, got onto this sight and have not stopped since. Been great years, espcialy playing by Skype

Been an avid member of this august forum since 2010. You have all been inspirations to me. I really should share some of my work with you all but somehow taking and downloading photos takes time and tallent I don't seem to have rather than building, painting and playing, which I am more capable of. Still, I should do more to say "thanks" and to, perhaps, pay it forward. Thank you all for your contributions and for making my time with this forum the best part of my day!

Chris Maes

ahhhh would that id have discovered the game sooner

Similar Missions

1. ruler: how long?
    By Gallo Rojo in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-11-2014, 15:38
  2. AAR: The long way home.....so near yet so far away!
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-10-2013, 02:08
  3. M.O.A.B Con this long weekend.
    By gully_raker in forum Australian Wing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-28-2012, 17:03
  4. A long war
    By grumpybear in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-16-2011, 21:57