Ares Games

Thread: Anyone got experience with Sram models?

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

Default Anyone got experience with Sram models?

I see that Sram produces 1/144 WW1 resin models in Europe and they appear to be available in the UK.

Anyone got experience of working with Sram models? Are they any good and are they worth the money? In the UK they are about 10-20% dearer than a Wings of Glory model.

The models are excellently detailed Barry. Unfortunately this makes the wings and tail very weak as they are exactly to scale and thus quite thin. I always cut my own wings from plasticard and use paperclips as struts when I make these models.
    SRAM is himself a member of the Drome and am sure will be only too happy to give you a rundown of his product.
    You can see my Sopwith Baby and other SRAM models in the "How to" forum on the Home page.
    Rob.

I also have looked at SRAM KITS, But i can't seem to get a grip on HOW TO BUY them using USA$ in a conversion. if they were made available here in the USA via a local dealer, i am sure that i would be buying two or three kits a month. < conversion from his price list to usa$ comes out to about $11 for smallers $18 for largers and $24 for BOMBERS = is this close? if so i wish someone here would import them.....>

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PAFGABPIDBOJHEKCt.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	87880

(still looking for a shop that sells them in usa/canada)
    Last edited by boomerpete53; 05-15-2013 at 21:02.

Today Pete ,Hannants' store here in Blighty, is selling the Scouts for $20, two seaters for $28, and big bombers for $43.
    That is on todays exchange rate, so if you can get them cheaper elsewhere it is worth going for.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

Thank you for that! smiles

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    The models are excellently detailed Barry. Unfortunately this makes the wings and tail very weak as they are exactly to scale and thus quite thin. I always cut my own wings from plasticard and use paperclips as struts when I make these models.
    SRAM is himself a member of the Drome and am sure will be only too happy to give you a rundown of his product.
    You can see my Sopwith Baby and other SRAM models in the "How to" forum on the Home page.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by 'Warspite' View Post
    I see that Sram produces 1/144 WW1 resin models in Europe and they appear to be available in the UK.

Anyone got experience of working with Sram models? Are they any good and are they worth the money? In the UK they are about 10-20% dearer than a Wings of Glory model.
    I have two SRAM Aviatik Berg D.I kits on my work bench, however, they are at least one level above my current hobby skills.

You could ask the maker himself, he is active here on Aerodrome: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/mem...p?3576-144sram

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Rob.
    Barry, I have a slightly different view to Rob on SRAM. Yes I agree the wings are thin because they are more to scale, but I've found them sufficiently robust to wargame with, particularly with biplanes that are braced by the interplane struts. You need to replace all struts and undercarriage with either styrene rod or thin wire (I find styrene strong enough in most cases) and find another prop made from a stronger material. As Rob said, Michal, the man behind SRAM, is a member of this forum. However don't look at the beautiful paint jobs he achieves with his models, or you won't pick up a paintbrush ever again. He also offers good deals to members on his kits occasionally.

Here is a couple of SRAM kits I have made (and game with) and I currently have a Pfalz E.II and Ponnier on the go. After that I may work up the courage to tackle Michal's 0/400 (not to mention the other dozen or so SRAM kits stashed away ).

Last edited by Guntruck; 04-28-2013 at 01:58.

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

I recently decided to `have a go` at one of these models recently since Hannants has some of the less popular two-seaters on discount at the moment and this was the result.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SIA 7b Model Photo.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	135.7 KB 
ID:	95452
    So I now have a decent SIA 7b two-seater for the Italian front!

Resin struts were replaced by wire from paperclips and staples and the prop by a plasicard substitute.
    Fuselage, Wheels, Wings and tailplane are all model parts provided in the kit.
    Crew are provided by Peter Pig.

In play the model seems to be robust enough and a good deal lighter than an equivelent metal model being about the same as an official Nexus/Ares one.
    So less likely to fall off the gimbal and get damaged.
    Last edited by Rabbit 3; 06-22-2013 at 06:41.

Similar Missions

1. Sram resin models
    By Baron Rolf in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-27-2012, 03:41
  2. Local B-17 Vet's Experience
    By ptownhiker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-25-2012, 02:58
  3. Any experience in building AB Models?
    By Dark Horse in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-13-2012, 20:26
  4. WGFG: Experience of World War I, The
    By MayorJim in forum Book Reviews
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-10-2011, 13:51
  5. SRAM Resin 1/144 Models?
    By rapier1642 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-14-2009, 19:29