Ares Games

Thread: Weird plane question

Users Country Flag

Name
    David Thren
    Sorties Flown

Default Weird plane question

I've gotten a Fokker E.IV plane uses AB damage deck. What does this mean? Does he use a or B or both or one at long range and the other at short...I don't get it.

Well, the E.IV was armed with two forward-firing 7.92 mm (.312 in) LMG 08 "Spandau" machine guns. I can't say I know why it has AB on the card. Any chance you could scan or take a pic of the card so we can see how it is setup?

Users Country Flag

Name
    David Thren
    Sorties Flown

Default PIC of weird plane

This is a Central Powers Fokker E.IV, Kampfgeshwader I, flown by Leutnant Otto Parschau (card #8 of 18 from the Immelman booster pack).

My JPEG file is failing to upload for some reason, but I can email it to you.

Where did you get the E.IV card?

Users Country Flag

Name
    David Thren
    Sorties Flown

It came in the Immelman booster pack - says IM at the bottom of the card, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Davot View Post
    It came in the Immelman booster pack - says IM at the bottom of the card, anyway.
    Is this the super-rare gold foil card? You should EBAY it!

I don't have the booster packs, all about the miniatures...

Users Country Flag

Name
    David Thren
    Sorties Flown

Starting bid - $32.95 plus $20.00 s/h (gotta be careful about all that handling of this super rare gold foil card w/ Max Immelman's authentic signature from an authentic pre-WWI-era postcard card on the reverse).

Okay, I tracked it down on the Nexus site...

Code:
    The Fokker E.III monoplane and a less agile but heavily armed E.IV
    with three machine guns were both flown by Immelmann. The E.IV was
    unusual machine marked with the registration number 189/16. Though the
    plane was an unsatisfactory experiment, Wings of War players now have
    the opportunity to test it in combat themselves, using an A and a B
    card each time they fire. Additionally, players may draw two As and
    two Bs when they manage to have a target at short range. This gives a
    greater firepower to the machine, but also a double chance of jamming.
    This is a reflection of a real problem of the historical plane!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FokkerEIcard.JPG  

Users Country Flag

Name
    David Thren
    Sorties Flown

My brother's gonna love that - he's flying the Central Powers through a KotA-based campaign. We use most of the KotA set-up, but have a specified number of missions for each of the following years 1915-1918. Each mission win gains that faction a point - so far, 5-0 for the Central Powers. As the year moves forward, we introduce planes from the later time periods. Right now we're at the beginning and he's using this plane while I'm using Nieuport 11's and Morane-Saulniers (I'm getting my butt whipped).

Yeah, that's a nasty plane. I've not looked at the G deck, how maneuverable is it?

Users Country Flag

Name
    David Thren
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    Yeah, that's a nasty plane. I've not looked at the G deck, how maneuverable is it?
    Possibly the worst deck to use in the whole get up, but all he has to do is get to you once! Then it's lights out for the E deck Nieuports and P deck Morane-Saulniers!

By the way, thanks for posting your campaign system for the rest of us to use (and tweak ). We've finally got some direction for a game system that all of us just keep saying "This is a cool game" over and over again. I now have an Ace pilot (7 kills) whose ability is that he ignores the automatic death that happens when a plane goes down in flames, which is another tweaked rule concerning the game.

We're going to try out a dice damage system next time we fly. That's another thing, we've got our own lingo going on now:
    1. When are we going to fly?
    2. Who are you sending up?
    3. I'm using a G deck plane.

Excellent game and the gamers on here who play it!

Glad you like the KotA rules. I'm currently working on version 2.0 (v1.5 is on this site for download), so I'm still tweaking it as well! One of the things I've added in is tiered Ace Skills. The Luck Git II skill allows you to ignore the explosion card... actually, you can ignore one whole attack in a game!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kirk
    Sorties Flown

My son loves that three-gun Fokker and calls it his "Flying battlecruiser". Don't get it front f it, and DEFINITELY don't get in front of it at close range. We played a game a week or so ago and I had a Nieuport that strayed in front of it and was turned to ribbons and sawdust.

Quote Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
    My son loves that three-gun Fokker and calls it his "Flying battlecruiser". Don't get it front f it, and DEFINITELY don't get in front of it at close range. We played a game a week or so ago and I had a Nieuport that strayed in front of it and was turned to ribbons and sawdust.
    Heh Heh Heh...to coin my favorite comic book phrase KA-BAM!!! bet you pray to hear that "click - click" noise after he fires once.

Good lord, that would be a deadly plane. TWO A's AND TWO B's - ouch, like someone else said, pray for the jam - click-click!

Similar Missions

1. plane card stats
    By Charlie3 in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-19-2009, 15:39