Ares Games

Thread: Building Comparable Forces

StormDragon275

Default Building Comparable Forces

Greetings and good day to all...

I have just recently started enjoying WGS (about 4 months now)... what a game! A bit of context is in order I think. My friends and I tend not to play defined scenarios, nor historically accurate ones. We tend to create balanced teams whether it be a straight dogfights or a bomber run. This has proven to be very fun and fairly even. Additionally, I searched for something similar on the forums and did not see anything, please forgive me if it this has been previously discussed.

However, the introduction of the Heavy Fighters has brought some interesting challenges. The sheer firepower of the Beaufighter especially has proven to be problematic (good or bad depends on which side of the fight you are on). I have played other miniature games before and was attempting to quantify a plane based on HP\Health and Close-Range firepower.

My initial thoughts were to add HP\Health in a straight one-to-one manner, and then 1-4 points per close-range damage indicator (i.e. A=1pt, B=2pt, C=3pt, D=4pt).

Examples:

Beaufigher MK.IF 23 (HP) + 1 (A) + 2 (B) + 3 (C) + 3 (C) + 3 (C) + 3 (C) = 37 points

P-40F Warhawk 18 (HP) + 2 (B) + 2 (B) + 2 (B) = 24 points

At least one thing this does account for is maneuverability (i.e. deck type).

Players would simply agree on a point total before hand and then build a force within the limit. We have played through this and it was fairly effective. However, as stated above it does not necessarily reward or penalize maneuverability.

Does anyone with more insight and\or game experience have any ideas to further fill out this idea?

Thanks in advance for your time and responses.

Have a great day!
    ~Joe

That is pretty simple and if it works that great. Here is a thread that you could read for more info.
    So do you play at the Soldiery in Columbus?

Thomas

StormDragon275

Thanks for that additional thread... there was a great amount of good info there. I actually have not been to the Soldiery. We have a group of gents that all started playing WGS at about the same time.

Joe, I like your idea, despite it ignore maneuverability of planes. I think I will try you system soon. Thank you for it.

Quote Originally Posted by StormDragon275 View Post
    My initial thoughts were to add HP\Health in a straight one-to-one manner, and then 1-4 points per close-range damage indicator (i.e. A=1pt, B=2pt, C=3pt, D=4pt).
    Hey Joe, thanks for the thoughts. Despite the fact that real-world engagements are very rarely even, a point system definitely has merit when trying to balance sides in WGF & WGS. I like that your system is straightforward, but I'm concerned that it devalues firepower somewhat. I am coming from a WGF background, however, where the firepower difference between an "A" and a "B" gunned kite is dramatic. I haven't played WGS enough yet to be certain, but it feels like the higher damage capabilities of the cannons should factor in more. Maybe instead of a linear rate of growth (1, 2, 3, 4), exponential (1, 2, 4, 8) might work?

Or maybe that's too much.

This is very simple and simpatic system. But your points for damage caused are not fair. The average points in B and C deck are the same.
    Much better is A=1, B,C=2, D=4.
    This corresponds to the page 27 of the rulebook for starter set.

Similar Missions

1. The German Forces in Belgium
    By Bluedevil in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-21-2011, 03:58
  2. UK Armed Forces Day
    By Boney10 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-28-2011, 03:10
  3. Another one From NZ--WW1 Aircraft & Ground Forces reinactment
    By gully_raker in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-10-2011, 19:10
  4. Additional models/ ground forces.
    By GuySajerGD in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-06-2011, 11:44
  5. Most comparable to Fokker DVII from base games?
    By sparty in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-11-2010, 19:38