Ares Games

Thread: Von Steig's Fateful Flight. (A Newbie's first AAR) Contains Pics.

Default Von Steig's Fateful Flight. (A Newbie's first AAR) Contains Pics.

Hi Everyone,

This particular dogfight was the last game a mate and I had last night. We've played about 4-5 games against each other and just introduced the special damage rules.
    Also, apologies if my terminology is a little off the mark as I'm still learning and I'm not much of a story teller so hopfully this this isn't to painful.

Thank you very much for reading and if you have any questions, comments, tips please don't hesitate to post em up.

Enjoy!!

Pip.

Unteroffizer Von Steig had been in the air for almost an hour. It had been a pleasant summer morning and visibility was close to perfect. Although he didn’t really like flying a solo barrage patrol along the front in the Alsace region, he was thankful that up until this point it has seemed like a leisurely flight. It was at this moment that a tiny speck on the horizon caught his eye. Von Steig’s stomach tightened. It always did when he wasn’t sure if that speck was friendly or enemy. Thoughts raced in his mind. Was it just another German fighter coming back from their patrol? Was it perhaps a recon flight or simply a pilot who gotten a little lost during their flight? Von Steig kept course while checking his guns to make sure that if that speck wasn’t friendly, he’d be ready. 1 minute, 2, 3, 4 minutes passed by agonisingly long and still he could not see if the speck was a prospective target.

Then Von Steig caught a glimpse of the familiar badge of the RAF. A lone Sopwith Snipe (from what Von Steig could gather) was closing in fast. In a split second a pleasant flight had transformed into a potential confrontation. Von Steig banked slightly to the left. The enemy fighter followed. Now that Von Steig had a full vision of the enemy he drove is Albatos D.Va forward towards the Snipe. Banking left and right Von Steig fired a burst into the Snipe. Fabric ripped and the Snipe broke off immediately.

The first Pass.

Von Steig stole a quick glance as the Snipe went by and was almost certain that he hit the pilot as he was slumping in the cock pit. However, the Snipe had managed to score a number of hits on Von Steig’s Albatross causing only minor damage before breaking off. This was going to be no easy fight! Von Steig bought his Abatros around for another pass but out of the corner of his eye he saw the Snipe had already turned round. He’d been caught out by a more nimble fighter. A burst of machine gun fire from the Snipe slammed in to Von Stieg’s Albatros. Sparks flew as the Albartos burst into flames!

The Snipe takes the upper hand.

Von Steig Panicked. Weaving left and right he tried desperately to extinguish the flames as more rounds hit his Albatros. Whilst the Snipe hadn’t managed to tail Von Steig, a couple of passes had given the Snipe all the opportunity it needed to pump more rounds in to the stricken Albatros. Von Steig cut his engine hoping this would cause the flames to die out. As the last of the flames licked his engine compartment Von Stieg held his breath and tried to reignite the engine. The Engine roared in to like as Von Steig pulled a sharp turn to the left. The Snipe meanwhile had been approaching for another pass as was too late to react. Guns blazed as wood snapped and struts broke as the two fighters exchanged fire at point blank range almost colliding with each other. Von Steig was amazed he’d managed to avoid the collision as his Albatross had been severely damaged by that last exchange. However, the Snipe had come off relatively lucky suffering only minor damage.

It became clear that Von Steig’s aircraft was in real trouble and could not take much more punishment. Von Steig rammed the throttle to full and threw caution to the win. Instead of trying to turn to engage the Snipe, Von Steig pulled back on the stick and threw caution to the wind executing an Immelmann. Von Steig’s Albatros groaned as the G forces probed at the damaged points of the fighter. However, the fighter’s structure held as Von Steig levelled out.

Sensing that this last pass might be his last with the Snipe heading right for him he lined up the approaching Snipe pulled the trigger... Both Fighters once again wore the full brunt of each other’s firepower. The Snipe pilot groaned and slumped lifelessly as a second bullet lodged in his chest killing him instantly. However, Von Steig’s Albatros had finally had enough as struts gave way which tore off his right wing.

With the snipe pilot dead the ablatros finally falls.

Time slowed for Von Steig. His plane banked sharply to the left and began to spiral out of control. Von Steig knew there was nothing he could do. Round and round he went corkscrewing towards the earth. His surroundings blurred into one as the fighter fell faster and faster towards the ground. Von Steig was calm and simply closed his eyes and waited...

The butchers bill revealed.

Thanks agains for reading!

Nice one Phil - mutual destruction - at least von Steig had the satisfaction of knowing he took one with him !

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Nice one Phil - mutual destruction - at least von Steig had the satisfaction of knowing he took one with him !
    Thanks Dave!

We both had a chuckle when we drew (what was to be) our final damage cards. That fire I had early on really restricted my movement.

Still I loved using the speical damage rules and in the end it was that specail damage that saved me from a crushing defeat!

Thanks for reading! ...

Cheers,

Pip.

You underestimate your story telling ability Phil.
    I enjoyed every minute of the encounter.
    It is a pity that von Steig bought a packet, as I would have loved to see his character developed more.
    Maybe your next champion will have a better run for his money.
    Thanks for posting.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    You underestimate your story telling ability Phil.
    I enjoyed every minute of the encounter.
    It is a pity that von Steig bought a packet, as I would have loved to see his character developed more.
    Maybe your next champion will have a better run for his money.
    Thanks for posting.
    Rob.
    Thanks Rob. Thats kind of you to say.

Unfortunatley for Von Steig his war is over. I hope the next character I develop has a bit more luck as well!

Thanks for reading mate!

Cheers,

Pip.

That's a great AAR Phil - we also tend to chuckle when we get a "mutual kill" moment (which happens surprisingly often, especially with the early war birds)

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Tommy
    Sorties Flown

Great read. Very well, written and exciting. Keep them coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Archidamus View Post
    That's a great AAR Phil - we also tend to chuckle when we get a "mutual kill" moment (which happens surprisingly often, especially with the early war birds)
    Cheers Brian!

I'll take the mutual kill. When my opponent drew that first wounded pilot card, I must admit, I was pretty confident of the win. Oh how wrong I was... ...

Twas a tight dogfight and am looking forward to giving some of the basic scenarios a go as well as getting multiple planes involved. Should be epic!!

Thanks for reading!

Cheers,

Pip.

Phil that was sheer poetry from start to finish. An excellent 1st AAR and richly deserving lots of REP. I lok forward to reading all your AAR's in the future. Do we know if von Steig survived

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by TGalante View Post
    Great read. Very well, written and exciting. Keep them coming.
    Thanks Tommy! I actually really enjoyed doing the write up.

There are some absolute awesome AAR on here and I look forward to having a read!

Cheers for reading!

Pip.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Phil that was sheer poetry from start to finish. An excellent 1st AAR and richly deserving lots of REP. I lok forward to reading all your AAR's in the future. Do we know if von Steig survived

Neil
    Ha! Thanks Neil! I'm glad you enjoyed reading it!

As for the fate of Von Steig, I'm afraid that's the last we'll be seeing him.

If I had not have flipped six damage for my last two cards we could be celebrating a gutsy win for the Central Powers but alas, twas not to be.

Another life lost.

Thanks heaps for reading mate!!

Cheers,

Pip.

Thumbs up

That was a really excellent first AAR Phil. Do not under estermate your story telling ability. That was quite riviting!

Well, well, well... I see a new storyteller is rising with guns blazing Congrats on your first report, Pip.
    Truly, I must save your story for further reference and learning

Nice AAR & pics. Short & very brutal! Check out the "Over the Trenches" section for some house rules on campaign pilots & crashes, & also the Critical Hits deck in the Files & maybe your next pilot will have a chance of walking away from it...

Great AAR Phil. Reading it has been a truly pleasurable break from work. Nice use of captions, and wonderful narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    That was a really excellent first AAR Phil. Do not under estermate your story telling ability. That was quite riviting!
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpybear View Post
    Great job, enjoyed the read
    Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    Great first AAR.

Nice to watch & read.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightbomber View Post
    Well, well, well... I see a new storyteller is rising with guns blazing Congrats on your first report, Pip.
    Truly, I must save your story for further reference and learning
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Nice AAR & pics. Short & very brutal! Check out the "Over the Trenches" section for some house rules on campaign pilots & crashes, & also the Critical Hits deck in the Files & maybe your next pilot will have a chance of walking away from it...
    Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Great AAR Phil. Reading it has been a truly pleasurable break from work. Nice use of captions, and wonderful narrative.
    Thank you everyone! I'm glad you enjoyed reading Von Steig's story.

@MoonSylver, I'll be getting stuck into the 'Over the Trenches" section hopefully this afternoon (Uni works calling my name... ) I'm VERY keen to see all tis kinds of campaign and scenario rules that you guys incorparate into your games.

You say that there is a chance a pilot can walk away for being shot down? Maybe Von Steig is coming back after all??

Once agian thanks for reading guys!

Cheers,

Pip.

Nice first effort Phil, I think your storytelling skills are just fine. Thanks for the AAR!

Nice AAR Pip! Good narrative report as the others said, your story telling is better than you take credit for.

Trevor

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilco View Post
    Nice AAR Pip! Good narrative report as the others said, your story telling is better than you take credit for.

Trevor
    Just caught this Pip. Agreed.

What a great first AAR Phil, I do hope to see more amazing aerial battles on the forum very soon

Using the OTT crash and wound effects rules with a dice roller here's what could have or did (if you like) happen:

Von Steig rolled: 10-2(flamer) = 8 = Bruised skip 1 scenario
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4542508/

Von Steig dared open his eyes and watched as the stricken Albatross headed towards a wood. The crash was far from gentle but there he was, alive and stuck up a tree! The large Chestnut tree had taken the full impact of the doomed Albatross. The aircraft was finished. He was bruised and a little shakey as he climbed out of the tree and walked off in the direction of the airfield.

Snipe Pilot: rolled 7 - 2 (2xwounds) -1 (shot down) = 4 = Severely injured, miss 1d6 scenarios (or possibly captured if in German held territory).
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4542515/
    See you on the Dark Side......

Similar Missions

1. Newbie!
    By trailape in forum Australian Wing
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-05-2013, 23:46
  2. Pics of Gimbel Mounts from our Flight.
    By gully_raker in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-05-2011, 22:05
  3. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 02-04-2011, 15:35
  4. AAR AND PICS OF THE NASHVILLE FLIGHT IN ACTION
    By usmc1855 in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-23-2010, 11:54