Ares Games

Thread: AAR Lt. Gavin Whyte KIA :(

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Tommy
    Sorties Flown

Default AAR Lt. Gavin Whyte KIA :(

"This is my fault", said Major Craydon holding his head in his hands. "Poor boy wasn't ready". The mood in the officers mess was somber. The boisterous behavior from only a few days ago were gone. Each pilot sat quietly in his own thoughts. The already dimly lit room seemed even darker.
    "You couldn't have known", said captain Hadley, trying desperately to console the major. "It sounded perfectly routine, no one could have predicted this." "I should never have let him go up alone," said Craydon. "Never".

That afternoon, as the sun was beginning its descent in the western sky, a call had come in from an infantry battalion. They were reporting a lone enemy aircraft coming across the lines. Lt.Whyte had been sitting in the office at the time and had volunteered to go take a look. "They only reported a lone plane," thought Craydon "probably nothing". The young Lt had proven himself a capable pilot and had even scored a kill in his first mission. Maybe just the sight of a camel will scare the boche back across the lines

"Right, Lt go have a look, no heroics," said the major. In a flash the young man was out the door with a smile. That boy sure loves to fly, thought Craydon.

About 40 minutes later the major was sitting with the other pilots outside of the hangars, when the sound of a camel engine started to be heard. Well, I'm glad the boys back in one piece at least. That's when they heard another sound and the fear for the young Lt started to creep into the air.

2 Dr. I's seemed to materialize out of the sun. The camel had no choice but to face them alone. Pilots started to scramble about someone had to get a plane into the air to aid Gavin. "Stand down", cried Craydon. One of the Fokkers could break away and shoot them to hell before they had a chance to get in the air.

They sat and watched the camel try desperately to fend off the Fokkers. "look there, he got one!", yelled one man as a stream of smoke came from one of the Fokkers. The Lt banked and dove trying with every ounce of skill to just hold on long enough for the Fokkers to run low on fuel.

Then in an instant the camel burst into flames and fell to earth. The men watched in horror as their newest member met his end. Rage and sadness filled the air as the men ran towards the crash sight. The major just stood in the field. He didn't move even with all the chaos around him. He slowly started walking back towards the office. The Lt's smile about going up still fresh in his mind.

Well this was my second solo mission and I thought I'd get fancy and try a 1 on 2. I actually held my own for awhile 2 damage cards. Then with a quick short range shot I drew a boom card game over for the young Lt. Whyte. The Dr.I's didn't escape unscathed. One had 6 damage and smoking and the other 4. Guess, it's time to start a new character.

Wow that's a very dramatic and moving AAR Tommy, I really liked it and have you got any photographs to show us all of the action ?

A very salutary lesson there for all of us Mark. Never underestimate either the AIs nor the fickle nature of Lady Luck.
    Do you not draw for the fate of your pilots after a crash? He may have survived.
    Rob.

Nice one Tommy - we use the formula in post 4 here to determine the fate of pilots in Over The Trenches Campaigns if you'd like to use it.

Great AAR Tommy. Just read something similar in one of the Biggles Books. They got bounced whilst short on fuel and landing. Very messy. I'd follow the suggestion and roll for his fate. You never know the young lad might just come out ok.

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Tommy
    Sorties Flown

Thanks once again everyone. I didn't think about drawing for the unfortunate Lt's fate. It's a little late now, but I'll be doing that in the future for sure. I felt it was fairly realistic as well, considering the poor life expectancy of new pilots. As for pictures, until I get a new computer everything is being done via iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by TGalante View Post
    Thanks once again everyone. I didn't think about drawing for the unfortunate Lt's fate. It's a little late now, but I'll be doing that in the future for sure. I felt it was fairly realistic as well, considering the poor life expectancy of new pilots. As for pictures, until I get a new computer everything is being done via iPhone.
    Don't sweat it. Enjoy the games, continue to post the AAR's & add pictures whenever you can. It's all good.

Dang, I got attached to Lt. Whyte already! Sorry to hear his tale is finished. I heard Taps in my head, then didn't know if Last Post would be more appropriate. I hope the boys exact revenge on those Boches. Maybe an aerodrome raid in in order!

On a side note, AARs are better placed in the AAR sub-forum in the future.

Thumbs up

Very authentic AAR there. Just read like what happened so often to new chums. Particularly in 1917.

Interesting story setting. Gotta love that Boom card.

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Tommy
    Sorties Flown

Well, after some thinking and reading/writing some more I think the young Lt. Whyte will be making a comeback. I enjoyed writing his story and I think we will be going in a different direction. I apologize for bouncing around so much with my writing, but its an ADD thing I guess. We will see how things go

That was really the youngblood reckless show. Poor boy...