Ares Games

Thread: First solo engagement and first AAR

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Tommy
    Sorties Flown

Default First solo engagement and first AAR

How could I have ended up alone? Though Gavin. One second, the entire flight was together in formation. The next 4 German fokkers were tearing through their flight guns blazing. He saw his flight leader going down. Turned to his right to avoid flying into another of his flight mates and then he was alone. The sky that was full of planes only a moment before was barren. No Germans and none of his mates could be seen anywhere. He gave his camel a quick once over to be sure he didn't take any damage and decided the best course of action would be to head for home.

Everyone had told him just stick to your flight leader for this first flight chances are you won't even run into the boche. Just get used to flying your crate. Now here he was alone slowly crossing over no mans land alone. He didn't even have a chance to fire his guns everything had happened so quickly. As he replayed the events in his mind he caught a glimpse of a plane flying straight towards him. Oh thank god someone has come to help me. Turning slightly left to get a better view he noticed the plane flying towards him had 3 wings and then he saw the distinctive black crosses.
    The sight turned his blood cold. His heart was beating out of his chest. The thoughts of lessons were flowing through his mind. I can run for it he thought briefly. There would be no shame in a greenie pilot making a dash to escape. Then again he is alone too. This could be my first kill!!

His mind was almost mad edit him as the Dr.I made almost a head on pass with him both machines firing at one another. Gavin saw the German pass under him and begin a slow turn to the right. Gavin had his plane in a tight turn to the right. Trying to get on the tail of the Fokker.

For almost 23 minutes both planes turned and danced in the air. Gavin felt bullets ripping into the camel. For a brief moment smoke trailed his plane. His rudder was stuck to the right for a bit then briefly to the left but he managed to keep the plane in the fight. He had no idea if his bullets were even doing any damage to to Fokker. Twice his guns jammed and he fought to unjam them. Then both planes ended up flying almost wing tip to wing tip. The boche made a hard right fighting for a position behind Gavin's camel. Gavin immelmanned and when he leveled out found the German plane directly in front of his guns. He was so close he could see every detail of the Fokker. He held the trigger down and could see the bullets striking the Fokker's fuselage bits were flying off in every direction. The Fokker slowly dipped to the right and started to spiral down to the ground.

Oh god thought Gavin. Oh god he was going to be sick. Fear had a strong grip on him as he watched the German plane fall into the ground. He scanned the sky expecting to find Germans everywhere coming after him for what he had done. Then he started looking for landmarks on the ground. He had to get home his fuel had to be close to empty.

As Gavin approached the aerodrome fear was building up in him again. They will never let me fly again because I lost my flight. I'm going to be courtmartialed for sure. His plane bumped into the ground and he could see people walking from the hangers. As he switched off the engine. He saw the squadron co and other pilots walking towards his shot up camel.

"Dear god old boy, we thought you were lost for sure", said the CO. "The rest of your flight made it back nearly an hour ago". Gavin still fearing the worst was in the middle of relaying the exploits of his first flight, the initial contact, how he lost everyone, the battle with the Dr.I, when a mechanic came out of the hanger at a sprint. "Lt. Whyte, Lt. Whyte" he yelled. "Infantry just called. They watched your whole battle from the ground and wanted to confirm your kill. Congratulations sir," said the mechanic. Then the other pilots were on him in a flash patting him on the back and dragging him towards the mess tent. Even the CO was there laughing at how lucky the boy was.

This was my first attempt at the solo rules and an AAR. Hope this was appropriate. The rules do take some getting used to. The camel I was flying took 11 damage before the immelman that put me in close range of the Dr. I. He had 7 damage the close range 2 card draw was a 3;4 and he was done for. Overall this was great. Really fun way to kill some time today. I do apologize for the grammar and spelling I had to write this up on the iPhone.

Thumbs up

Top job, Tommy both with the result & the great story line.
    A very well done first AAR!

Well done Tommy, Your AAR read very well and an excellent first go.

Paul

A gripping story line Tommy.
    It really did not need any photographs, as your narrative skills painted a picture in my mind which was so vivid that any other would have detracted from it.
    Great first AAR.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Tommy
    Sorties Flown

Thanks everyone.

Well done Tommy! You didn't play this on Saturday by any chance?

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Tommy
    Sorties Flown

Unfortunately I did not. I was going to ask about that. I played Sunday night(Solo) and Monday night against the fiancé.

Well done Tommy, a fine first flight for you and Lt. Whyte. Good to see you both held up under pressure!

Sir,

Awesome AAR, I bet the game play was great, an I have to hand it to you, the story behind it was well told and compelling. I'm glad you landed safely, and look forward to hearing about your next run across the line...

That was Great...

Great first AAR Tommy, look forward to the next one.

Very nice, Tommy!
    Welcome to the solo-addicted-people (SAP).
    Excellent AAR.
    But I really need photos.
    One more thing - what rules and charts did you used?

Nice first AAR... and then I noted the AAR gong you're sporting and realized this may be the first... but only of many! I'll need to go back over the last several months and read through the later AARs.

Well done Tommy, your first solo is always the hardest. Now get up there and knock them down.
    See you on the Dark Side......

nicely paced mate, really gripped me, proper edge of the seat stuff.

mate this was a great read

Users Country Flag

Name
    Ian
    Sorties Flown

What a fabulous piece of fiction, based on the hard facts of a real solo game. Truly inspiring. I've been away from WoG for far too long cos of work (and life) getting in the way but your story has really fired up my enthusiasm... may I ask what rules you use to play?
    Ian

Users Country Flag

Name
    Thijs
    Sorties Flown

Magnificent! When is the novell coming out?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc R View Post
    What a fabulous piece of fiction, based on the hard facts of a real solo game. Truly inspiring. I've been away from WoG for far too long cos of work (and life) getting in the way but your story has really fired up my enthusiasm... may I ask what rules you use to play?
    Ian
    Tommy uses the same set of rules that you can see featured in the Over The Trenches campaign/sub forum here on the 'drome.

You can find Richard Bradley's original Solo Rules (Including the "Clock Face" Template you'll need) HERE: http://tynesidewargames.co.uk/wowrules.html

You can find the charts for the Advanced version by our own Blackronin, which is the recommended version & used by the "Over the Trenches" Solo Campaign(s) here on the 'drome HERE:

Chart for Maneuver Decks A, B, & S

Chart for C

Chart for D

Chart for F & N

Chart for G

Chart for J

Chart for L

Chart for M

Chart for O

Chart for P

Chart for Q

Chart for E & I

Chart for K & H

Don't overlook the new 2nd generation decks Joaquim (Blackronin) has done.

Awesome flight and story Tommy, cheers for that.

Nice read there Tommy enjoyed it

Similar Missions

1. Solo War
    By wargamer in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-06-2012, 08:28
  2. Help With Solo Rules
    By flyerneil in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-28-2012, 06:56
  3. A Very Long Engagement
    By CappyTom in forum WGF: General Discussions