Ares Games

Thread: Zio Prudenzio Model Cards - My 4th Project - Sopwith Camel-10 RNAS - Nelson-at Last!

Default Zio Prudenzio Model Cards - My 4th Project - Sopwith Camel-10 RNAS - Nelson-at Last!

Soooo...
    This was started in August last year, along with Flt/Cdr A/Capt L.P. Coombe's B Flt Camel, and was sidelined by business trips.

For various reasons, this was still on a back burner, but is now being finished. Also, my Aerodrome Accessories stands will be in the mail soon, and I need to get this done, among other projects. I'm on leave for a month, and if I can't get this finished now, it will never get done. I have retro-fitted my "C Flt" Camel, and my Albatross D.V for pegs, and will be doing the same for the "B Flt" Camel soon. The "A Flt" Camel Fuselage was not yet completed, so I decided to start the "retro-fit" before messing it up with a toothpick mount.

This also lets me show how to make the "pegs", as my first few ideas were not working out too well. After visiting a few craft and hobby shops for materials, I discovered that the pegs are not straight shafts. They're tapered! Darn it! This means that just buying the right plastic or metal rod was not enough. I had to get the widest diameter stuff, and uniformly carve and/or sand the taper onto it. This wasn't going to be easy. I came home with a lip on, and my better half asked why. When I told her of my failure at finding what I was looking for, she piped up with a suggestion. Bamboo cooking skewers? What? Not so crazy, actually. Pictures are below.

I retro-fitted my first Camel project, and the Albatross D.V, and the pictures of the comparison are first:

An Ares Barker Camel, my B Flt Camel on a toothpick and home-made stand, and my C Flt Camel with a bamboo peg and Ares stand.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4thProjCamel_A20130331_Peg1_Crop.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	83780

Side shots of the planes, showing Ares stands vs toothpick/stand. Look closely, and you can see that the bamboo peg is deeper into the plastic socket than the Ares model's peg.

Name:	4thProjCamel_A20130331_Peg1a_Crop.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	83781Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4thProjCamel_A20130331_Peg2_Crop.jpg 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	83782

And finally, a belly shot with comparison to standard peg and bamboo peg.

Name:	4thProjCamel_A20130331_Peg3_Crop.jpg 
Size:	159.8 KB 
ID:	83783Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4thProjCamel_A20130331_Peg3a_Crop.jpg 
Size:	105.7 KB 
ID:	83784

The other two builds show some of the techniques for the wings and use of MacDonald's sandwich cardboard for re-inforcing in my models. They can be found at:
    My 1st Project
    My 3rd Project

On to "Part One" of the A Flt Camel build, showing the refit of the fuselage for the peg:

This picture shows the original bamboo skewer and the A Flt Camel fuselage with the cardboard re-inforcing for the peg and formers for the fuselage:

Name:	4thProjCamel_A20130331_Peg4a_Crop.jpg 
Size:	159.5 KB 
ID:	83785
    Some of the point has to be removed to get the right part of the taper, and then it is sized to the fuselage of the model. I lined up the peg in the approximate position on the skewer that it was cut from. The Albatross was done in a similar manner. And I actually got the fuselage depth a bit off on the first try with the C Flt Camel, as it sits a bit higher than planned. More practice in measuring. And doing it on the A Flt Camel will let me size the B Flt Camel's peg a bit better.

This picture shows the length of the peg, and that it will fit into the model, with the top of the peg glued to the top of the fuselage for extra support and stability.

Name:	4thProjCamel_A20130331_Peg4b_Crop.jpg 
Size:	179.6 KB 
ID:	83786

More to follow, when done, but really, most of the build has been, and is going to be, the same as the two above, with this model's wings re-inforced with the brass rods, as in the 3rd Project. The pictures in the 3rd Project actually shows the fuselage of this model in the background. B Flt Camel just got finished first.

'til next time.

Mike
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 04-01-2013 at 06:45. Reason: corrections

More very neatly done models Mike.
    I do like your underviews to show the peg differences and siting.
    Rob.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-26-2014, 18:45
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-22-2013, 07:53
  3. Zio Prudenzio Model Cards - My 2nd Project - Fokker DR1
    By OldGuy59 in forum Paper Card Models
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-22-2012, 02:01
  4. Zio Prudenzio Model Cards - My 1st Project
    By OldGuy59 in forum Paper Card Models