Ares Games

Thread: Phoenix 0400 arises from the ashes (dark side)

Post Phoenix 0400 arises from the ashes (dark side)

"It LIVES!"

Really? After splicing and dicing and rebuilding several times, it is finished!

After the elves gave it a horrid yellow coat of paint I got to thinking, those cool DH 4's with the sunburst colors . . . Phoenix the exotic mythical bird that arose from its ashes . . . and the fact I live in Phoenix, it all seemed to make some sense.

So to get there there were some steps new to some of you. The bright yellow was a spray enamel, which gave me solid finish base

Then we get out the vinyl tape - bright colors of electrical tape sold in sets of 4-6 colors, make sure they are all glossy or flat finishes. A sheet of glass makes the cutting board, a sharp model knife, and a good straight edge.

Carefully peel off a length of tape making sure you do not stretch it and stick it onto the glass surface. You can now cut any shape you want out of the tape, peel it off the glass and apply it to your model. Simple and neat! I started with the blue leading edge, top side first lay it gently on the wing, adjust its final location and slowly stick the tape down the length of the wing, then wrap the tape around the leading edge.

Strips of red were cut then sliced diagonally making two matching triangles which are then applied to the wing, repeat until happy with the pattern. I chose red, yellow, and blue since they comprise the sunburst on our state flag.

Wrapped around the nose,

Repeat on the stabilizer, fuselage and add the insignias

Bottoms up!

Wrapped the red over the top and trimmed the tape into a point

Front view

Add bombs, guns, and a friend . . .

Fun fantasy colors with a bit of local "color" thanks to the elves! Now where is my Flag Buss?

Now that's an eye-catching bird Clipper You and the elves have done great work again

Where are my dark glasses ?! - oh, there we go !

Egad, my eyes have gone all wonky! Still, its very striking, and a fitting tribute to the Copper State!

(Thank goodness you don't live in Maryland, lol.)

Excellent! I just received 2 O/400's from Shapeways. My painting isn't going to be quite that extravagant. Hoping that I can at least get the decals to be symmetrical.

Once again Clipper you make it all so simple.

Cool fantasy scheme!
    It is reminiscent of some of the "victory" schemes that the 94th Pursuit squadron did after the war (there's a thread on that somewhere here, back in early 2011).
    Of course, with those 1,650 pounders hanging off the wings, the shooting is still going on, right?
    So it's a bright target for some lucky pilot looking for a kill

I'm interested in the technique: how much noticeable edge does the electrical tape leave: the stuff I'm familiar with is rather thick, and only black.
    Karl

Shiney! The dastardly Hun will go blind trying to shoot that that!!!

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Shiney! The dastardly Hun will go blind trying to shoot that that!!!
    Fortunately, the Kest comes equipped:
    Karl

Way back in the day I used the tape on the Felixstowe project . . .

Got some nice effects, used gloss clear coat to seal the edges . . .

Two years later and they still look good and there are no lifting areas . . .

Somewhere I have a checker board one, that was a lot of fun! The tape today is much thinner and more colorful, you need to be careful not to stretch it too much when you apply it and give it several burnishings before and after the clear coats. The nice thing about using it on naval aircraft is they were normally painted with gloss finishes to protect from the sea salt.

Yet another very impressive machine painted to kill Clipper.
    It would have gone down very well on my holiday in Spain in those colours.
    Rob.

YAY dazzle camo!

Even more amazing Clipperness!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Thanks all! That was nearly 4 years ago . . . suddenly the elves are playing Jethro Tull's "Living in the past" . . . weird . . .

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Thanks all! That was nearly 4 years ago . . . suddenly the elves are playing Jethro Tull's "Living in the past" . . . weird . . .
    A new guy with the same awe of your skills as we all have, David.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Similar Missions

1. General HP 0400 from the dark side . . .
    By clipper1801 in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-26-2013, 06:02
  2. Phoenix from the ashes arises!
    By clipper1801 in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-03-2013, 10:15
  3. AH Phoenix DI & DII ?
    By Capt Croft in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-17-2012, 11:43