Ares Games

Thread: Scenario Idea: First carrier attack in history.

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Default Scenario Idea: First carrier attack in history.

In reading up on the history of HMS Furious I came across this story.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tondern_raid
    And for Admirals orders:
    http://www.tondernraid.com/orders.htm
    Seems like it would make a good basis for a game!
    Last edited by Rabbit 3; 03-25-2013 at 14:10.

Seven Camels agains two zeppelins and a balloon, hmm, hope I will try it sometimes, but I think I will need bigger map

Very interesting Robert, you are right it could be a good game!

Where does one find a small scale wwi aircraft carrier? *sips on a cup of tea*

Quote Originally Posted by HTRAINo View Post
    We should ask Clipper... do the elves do ships?

Oooh he does! What scale are we talking? There is a HMS Furious card in the files section that I have printed off around 16" long, but longer would be cool-i-o-er . . . thinking a foam core quick build with deck full of fighters . . . sitting on a like size card . . . hmmmm . . . good thing I got the elves swim lessons when we did the Felixstowes . . .

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Oooh he does! What scale are we talking? There is a HMS Furious card in the files section that I have printed off around 16" long, but longer would be cool-i-o-er . . . thinking a foam core quick build with deck full of fighters . . . sitting on a like size card . . . hmmmm . . . good thing I got the elves swim lessons when we did the Felixstowes . . .

Can't wait to see photos if anyone does something with this idea...

The Furious would be 65" long and 7.5" beam if we went with 1/144th. . . . just thinkin' out loud . . .

The Furious would be 65" long and 7.5" beam if we went with 1/144th. . . . just thinkin' out loud . . .
    Math fails me... how big would Furiousbe if she were 1/215?

I have resisted WGS. If you start making ships like this, you could drag me into the game. You might find yourself on the most wanted list of many spouses, and not in a good way.

Two more things then, one for the math shy, at 1/215 scale she would be 43.6" long and 5" wide (same foot print as a 1/144 scale Type P Zep) second, I am NOT stepping into WGS, yet, think WWI Furious, not WWII, not yet anyway . . . At 1/144 scale you could do take off and landing operations under fire from the numerous German float planes . . . : ) I know that is three things, but I get excited by numbers . . .

Two more things then, one for the math shy, at 1/215 scale she would be 43.6" long and 5" wide (same foot print as a 1/144 scale Type P Zep) second, I am NOT stepping into WGS, yet, think WWI Furious, not WWII, not yet anyway . . . At 1/144 scale you could do take off and landing operations under fire from the numerous German float planes . . . : ) I know that is three things, but I get excited by numbers . . .
    Are you contemplating a WWI carrier in 1/144 scale? I feel my WGF addiction meter climbing.

I've been looking for a reason to do one of these . . . what size, hmmm

If I make it will someone figure out the game play part? Might make a few, hint, hint, nudge, nudge, you know what I mean?

If I make it will someone figure out the game play part? Might make a few, hint, hint, nudge, nudge, you know what I mean?
    I would be happy to help. It would make for a good forum discussion.

Please make a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit 3 View Post
    In reading up on the history of HMS Furious I came across this story.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tondern_raid
    And for Admirals orders:
    http://www.tondernraid.com/orders.htm
    Seems like it would make a good basis for a game!
    I'm not so sure, unless you're thinking of a solitaire game -- the German player doesn't have much to do, as the AA is pretty-much programmed, and there's no German acft. involved.

Oh I think we can come up with some situations where there are a few Germans lurking. . . there's a lot of creativity floating around out there . . . hey is that a SSZ on the flight deck? COOL!!!

If that doesn't talk to your inner gamer . . .
    Last edited by clipper1801; 03-26-2013 at 16:45.

Then, there's movement... although It may be better at 1/144 if she just stayed put

If it helps with the size, you could use a scale based more on the maps than on the planes. Use the same high in the sky perspective to keep the size manageable (though it should still be a hulk). THat might be able to bring the size under the 3 ft mark. I don't play on a WoG or WoW map, does anyone that has one know the scale that their drawings are in (Based on building size etc.)? That might help to see how to scale a ship since it would be at sea level (until the attack is over, at least ).

Oh I think we can come up with some situations where there are a few Germans lurking. . . there's a lot of creativity floating around out there . . .
    Oh, I have no doubt some German fighters could be added; but then it wouldn't be Historically Accurate. :)

Maybe find a use for those Fokker D.IIIs with the defective tail assemblies.... >;)

hey is that a SSZ on the flight deck? COOL!!!

If that doesn't talk to your inner gamer . . .
    It does -- it says "look at that fat target sitting on the aft deck". >:)

1/600 HMS iron duke airfix kit is Ł10-15. Not a carrier, but worth a mention.
    HMS Bry-me-chree, was a liner that was converted specifically for float planes.
    Not sure about the vessel name, but its close as I can recall.

Quite a project.

1/600 HMS iron duke airfix kit is Ł10-15. Not a carrier, but worth a mention.
    HMS Bry-me-chree, was a liner that was converted specifically for float planes.
    Not sure about the vessel name, but its close as I can recall.

Quite a project.
    Tease.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Consider yourself unteased - it was HMS Ben-My-Chree - the odd name is because she was the Isle Of Man steam packet before being pressed into service; Ben-My-Chree is Manx for "Girl of my heart" - a truly warlike name....

Dom, who's sailed on the current Ben-My-Chree.... ;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Ben-my-Chree

DM's useless fact of the day - the RNZN's amphibious support vessel is based on the design of the current Ben My Chree - although why anyone would want to use the IoM ferry as the basis for a warship intended for use in the deep Southern oceans is anyone's guess

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    Consider yourself unteased - it was HMS Ben-My-Chree - the odd name is because she was the Isle Of Man steam packet before being pressed into service; Ben-My-Chree is Manx for "Girl of my heart" - a truly warlike name....

Dom, who's sailed on the current Ben-My-Chree.... ;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Ben-my-Chree
    I humbly stand corrected...

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    DM's useless fact of the day - the RNZN's amphibious support vessel is based on the design of the current Ben My Chree - although why anyone would want to use the IoM ferry as the basis for a warship intended for use in the deep Southern oceans is anyone's guess
    Absolutely crazy-knowledge here. This is me being impressed.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    I humbly stand corrected...
    You were close enough for government work; having been on her namesake that one's stuck with me.... ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    Absolutely crazy-knowledge here. This is me being impressed.
    I was lucky enough to be on board Canterbury the day after she arrived in Auckland from her delivery voyage. A most interesting vessel.

The plans are drawn and the construction steps are being planned, so I am switching the progress over to the Hobby Thread whilst you strategist do your thing here. Tentatively planning a base 12" x 72" with gun arcs marked in red over a blue and wavy base? I note the card on the files section shows zones, I imagine they are for damage areas, however the total health number seems a bit low? Hope to lay the keel this week end, maybe push off from the docks on Monday . . . that's if the elves do not eat too many chocolate eggs over Easter!

I'm tempted to shout "Stop this, it's getting Silly" but I find myself wondering just what Clipper will produce.....

Is it going to be full height?

Not silly at all; the chance for a RN airstrike against the Germans, with a German aerial reprisal against the carrier(s) is a fine what-if.
    Certainly more likely than the USA attacking Canada because the Entente violated International Naval Laws.
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by PilGrim View Post
    I'm tempted to shout "Stop this, it's getting Silly"...
    Not at all silly... perhaps pathological, but that doesn't keep me from wanting to see what Clipper and the elves put together!

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

The files section?
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...do=file&id=911
    Knowing what people are like round here sombody is bound to build the model sooner or later.
    (Just read some of Clipper`s posts above after posting this!)
    Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    I'm not so sure, unless you're thinking of a solitaire game -- the German player doesn't have much to do, as the AA is pretty-much programmed, and there's no German acft. involved.
    Several possibilities spring to mind:

1) A game based on the historical raid with several players taking on one Camel carrying bombs each while another handles the German AA defences using the player control rules.
    In this case the targets are the Airship sheds with the Zepp`s and Balloons inside.
    2)Some `what if`s` added with defending aircraft or, if you have one a Zeppelin on the ground ready for take off when the Camels arrive!
    3)Another `What if` situation which has a German seaplane patrol discover HMS Furious just before she launches the Camels. A variation of this might be to allow the seaplanes to carry torpedos.

Im sure some of you can come up with a lot of other ideas.
    Last edited by Rabbit 3; 03-28-2013 at 06:24.

As I understand it: That IoM ferry was a tough nut to crack, as the Irish Sea can get nasty at times.

Hm,sounds like a case of 'build it and they will come'

Oh, I have no doubt some German fighters could be added; but then it wouldn't be Historically Accurate.
    Wonderful irony for csadn to talk of historical accuracy in WWI.

From 'Conway's All the World's Fighting Ships 1906-1921' - During a reconnaissance mission in June 1918 she (HMS Furious) was attacked by two seaplanes but drove them off with gunfire and managed to launch 2 Camels (these would be 2F.1s with the single deck-mounted MG and overwing Lewis MG), which were recovered by destroyers.'

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick62 View Post
    Wonderful irony for csadn to talk of historical accuracy in WWI.;)
    Hence the smiley.

WW1 is a real problem for me, as historically the US was uninvolved for most of it; and when they did get involved, it wasn't with any of the "famous" units -- US kit was mostly French-sourced. (It doesn't help that, as has been noted elsewhere, there isn't a hell of a lot of data on French action during the War; all anyone ever talks about is the British -- and given what happened to them for most of the War, well, it's no wonder everyone wants to play the Germans. >:) ) So trying to find an Entente unit I want to play for is a pain in the ass.

I get my own back in WW2, tho' -- pretty-much everyone winds up flying US acft. in the end. >;)
    Last edited by csadn; 03-30-2013 at 15:00.

I get my own back in WW2, tho' -- pretty-much everyone winds up flying US acft. in the end. >
    You got that right:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B17_kg200.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	83555Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B-17d-captured-clark-1941.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	83556

Karl

all anyone ever talks about is the British -- and given what happened to them for most of the War, well, it's no wonder everyone wants to play the Germans. > )
    Yup, everyone likes playing the losers, don't they? happens in WW2 too

I get my own back in WW2, tho' -- pretty-much everyone winds up flying US acft. in the end. >
    The "free ice cream maker with every squadron purchased" offer helped there
    Reminds me, from a naval perspective, one of the jolly things have tucked away in my work archive is a photograph of a US Navy coffee machine designed to be proof against the effects of underwater shock. 'cos after that mine strike what you really need to get the ship back on its feet is a good cup of Joe

http://www.seabeecook.com/cookery/co...ood_coffee.htm

Yup, everyone likes playing the losers, don't they? happens in WW2 too
    For WW I & WW = II 4 & 6 years are a long time for loosing a war.* ...and it was never a one sided thing, that makes these scenarios interesting for all sides.

So the players (in my game group) don't care much which side they play - one of the main reasons for a decision what WW I plane to fly, are still the colours.

For WW II it's the performance and the firepower and sometime the colours.

*For example, you will not find many players that join the Iraqi side in Gulf War games

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    So the players (in my game group) don't care much which side they play - one of the main reasons for a decision what WW I plane to fly, are still the colours.

For WW II it's the performance and the firepower and sometime the colours.
    This has been my experience as well... most of my friends select their aircraft based on their performance envelop. I usually pick the era of WWI, and then they jump at the types that best fit the style they embrace. Or, as Sven intimated, some go for the one's they think look best. Oftentimes, as you know, this means CP.

Now that I'm getting into WGS as well... well, we'll see...

...I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd much rather be tooling around in a Spit or Hurri than a 109. And I'll take an F4F any day (and twice on Sunday) before I'm choosing an A6M.

Yup, everyone likes playing the losers, don't they? happens in WW2 too :)
    Unintended consequence of Propaganda -- make The Enemy out to be Supermen Incarnate, even when they clearly aren't, and even after several decades people will still buy that bunk.

Reminds me, from a naval perspective, one of the jolly things have tucked away in my work archive is a photograph of a US Navy coffee machine designed to be proof against the effects of underwater shock. 'cos after that mine strike what you really need to get the ship back on its feet is a good cup of Joe :)
    Indeed -- and I was trained to make coffee by ex-Navy types.

In my senior year of high school, the classroom I had to be in for 1st period had, of all things, a functioning coffee maker, and a functioning sink with taps. So, our class was the only one to have coffee in the mornings -- even teachers from other classrooms would come by to snag some. Folks learned *real* quick: Ask who made the coffee first -- if I made it, Batten Down The Hatches.... >;)

During my military service I was responsible for my Sergeant's coffee, too.

And here she is:

In case you missed it, there is a build thread and an AAR on the site, just to prove the elves can float . . . and sanity is elusive . . . . enjoy your madness, we do . . .

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-18-2022, 01:40
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-07-2013, 12:00
  3. Scenario 3: Attack Transport Fleet
    By Marechallannes in forum Midway Rising
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-06-2013, 01:11
  4. Idea: Using paratroopers in a Scenario
    By Thomatchef in forum WGS: House Rules
    Replies: 19