Ares Games

Thread: Formula for WGS climb rates and ceilings

Default Formula for WGS climb rates and ceilings

I have crunched the numbers, and think I have the formulas for climb and ceiling in WGS.
    I apologize for the figures being in the English system (should we call it the American system now, since the English don’t use it any more ), but it seemed to fall into place, and I didn’t feel like converting it.
    Ceiling: 8 = 21-24K feet
    9 = 24-27K feet
    10 = 27-30K feet
    11 = 30-33K feet
    12 = 33-36K feet
    13 = 36-39K feet
    14 = 39-42K feet.

Climb rate: 2 = 3-3.5K f/m
    3 = 2.5-3K f/m
    4 = 2-2.5K f/m
    5 = 1.5-2K f/m
    6 = 1-1.5K f/m
    7 = .5-1K f/m
    No idea what 9 is (B-17 and Lancaster) except it’s really slow.
    There are a number of anomalies, as you would expect.
    For Ceiling:
    Spitfire Mk.Is: everything I’ve found puts them in the 34K band, so 12 for ceiling.
    Ju-87s must be using a loaded value, as their rated ceiling is 26,900’ ceiling 9
    The A6M2 Zeros again appear to be using A6M5 values, since they should be at ceiling 12 or even a high 11.
    For Climb:
    Fw-190D should have a climb of 2; however, if you use the sources for the CR 3, then the ceiling goes down to 11, as it’s the FB version.
    Bell P-40D: CR is pretty decent until 15K’, then drops off. Still not sure if it should be a 3 or 4.
    P-51D Mustang: half the sources say 3,200f/m, so a CR of 2, the other half CR 3.
    Ki-43 Oscar: I could only find 1 source for CR and its 2830f/m. CR 3?

I couldn’t find much on the various I-16 Ratas; probably in Russian language sources that aren’t showing up on Google.

That’s what I got; I’ll start updating the table this week.
    As always comments are welcome.
    Karl

By the way: would my fellow 'Dromemates like the planes sorted by country or alphabetically?
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    By the way: would my fellow 'Dromemates like the planes sorted by country or alphabetically?
    Karl
    By country.

The reason - some aircraft, such as the Brewster Buffalo, had radically different stats depending on operator. Different engines, weight, armament. While listing them under USA for F2A, it would not emphasise which were tough but useless (RAF Buffalo I), fragile but capable (Finn B-239), or generally good (NEI B-339D/B-439)

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    By country.

The reason - some aircraft, such as the Brewster Buffalo, had radically different stats depending on operator. Different engines, weight, armament. While listing them under USA for F2A, it would not emphasise which were tough but useless (RAF Buffalo I), fragile but capable (Finn B-239), or generally good (NEI B-339D/B-439)
    Wow. Can't argue with that kind of knowledge...

Zoe, you continue to impress.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    I have crunched the numbers, and think I have the formulas for climb and ceiling in WGS.
    Thanks for this, Karl. Just in time to feed my new addiction.

I had a quick dig.

The Avro Lancaster had a climb rate at maximum weight to 20,000' of 41 minutes, which equates to 487.8'/m.
    I only have a climb rate for the Ki-43-II 'Oscar', but that is 3250'/m. But it is described as initial, so I suspect a drop off.
    I have 3475'/m for the P-51D.
    Last edited by Foz; 10-05-2015 at 08:03.

As a note Steve; this is an older thread, and when I did work for the committee, I not only looked at RoCs from as many sources as I could, but compared the planes to Nexus/Ares known planes on the Fighting Wings tables, which gives average RoC at bands of 6000' (if those planes were on the table). A lot of the planes statting is an art as much as a science
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I like digging up old threads. I'm trying to work out all the equations and incantations for working out planes.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Foz View Post
    I like digging up old threads. I'm trying to work out all the equations and incantations for working out planes.
    Some of the older threads like this one are worth bringing back out of interest. This is definitely IMHO not a case of being a necromantic or necromant or whatever it is ...

Russian altitudes probably quoted in metres instead of feet where documented. CIS and China still use m for altitude instead of ft like the rest of us where 1 m = 3 ft 3 ins as you are probably already aware.

Similar Missions

1. Climb Rates for Bombers
    By hoady02 in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-06-2012, 11:15
  2. climb rates question
    By Gallo Rojo in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-08-2012, 13:45
  3. Climb rates and Ceilings
    By Linz in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 4