Ares Games

Thread: Finally buying the game!!! Advice/recommendations

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Tommy
    Sorties Flown

Default Finally buying the game!!! Advice/recommendations

So after lurking here for a while and not having the funds to buy the game I finally will be able to jump in. I was going to buy:

The rules and accessory pack
    Spad x2
    Camel x1
    Dh-2 x1
    Fokker d1 x2
    Albatross D.Va x1
    Fokker E.III

Does this sound like an acceptable set-up? Will this allow plausible and a variety of scenarios? Would anyone else offer any different suggestions?

Thanks in advance
    Tommy

Hi Thomas! I would advise you pair them up like this...

Camel vs DR.1 = 2 of each.
    Spad vs Albatross = 1 of each.
    DH.2 vs E.III = 1 of each.

Then try them out.

Completely your decision though, but I empathize with how hard it can be to choose

It is entirely up to you, of course, and up to the availability of types but all of the aircraft have strengths and weaknesses.

The DH2/Eiii pairing gives you early war and the Camel with racks for four 20lb cooper bombs gives you a capable fighterbomber.
    Might be worth forgoing the Eindekker in favour of a Halberstadt or Alb DIII if you can get one. Narrows the timeframe you can play a bit but both aircraft are more capable in the event you can field them all in a big furball and won't be the absolute sitter the monoplane will tend to be.

The SE5a would give a fast mid war scout that remains competitive up to the armistice and there is an American one if you want to stick with the Home Nation.

The SPADs will leave the Dr1s standing, so players might get a little frustrated - unless they can sucker the SPADs into a turning fight or get a lucky engine hit. Just something to be aware of.

Good luck, good hunting
    Dave

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Tommy
    Sorties Flown

Ok so for the sake of fairness and playability.

Camel x2
    Spad x1
    Dh-2 x1
    Dr.1 x2
    D.Va x1
    Halb D.III

I was hoping to have a lot of variety and fairness is my games with friends and kids. Thank you all so much fr the help

Just a note: D.H.2 and Fokker E.III are not a matching pair. Or, better said, the fight would be a bit one sided.

D.H.2 is an equal opponent for Halberstadt D.III
    Fokker E.III/A.III is an equal opponent for Morane Saulnier N

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Tommy
    Sorties Flown

This is exactly why I posted here before buying. Thank you all so much for the great advice.

Quote Originally Posted by TGalante View Post
    This is exactly why I posted here before buying. Thank you all so much for the great advice.
    You will have a great deal of fun with those, and I would say the Camels & DR.1's might get the most fly time.
    The others are great fun too.

Thomas, did you think about some twoseaters? I recommend you at least one for every side. Scouts are fine, but the second machinegun on the rear gives you more fun And twoseaters are ideal for recon, bombing and spy scenarious

Ah yes! Two seaters.

Re8 - recon machine, liable to get massacred by scouts but a fair match to both the Roland (with it's dangerous field of fire) or the high altitude Rumpler. If you go for the Roland, the pink camo one or the Seibert/Pfleger ones are the two/gun jobs - von R only carried an observers MG and is therefore more vulnerable to the head-on pass.

The DH4 is fast, capable and usable either as a bomber or camera bus (my personal favourite) and comes with a mix of armament depending on the paint scheme

The UFAG is an Austro-hungarian type and gets less table time than the 4 (unless you play on the Italian front more) while the Breguets are flying destroyers (esp the A/A gunned ones) watch for game balance with these.

D

Quote Originally Posted by AlgyLacey View Post
    The DH4 is fast, capable and usable either as a bomber or camera bus (my personal favourite) and comes with a mix of armament depending on the paint scheme
    Very good comment!

Quote Originally Posted by AlgyLacey View Post
    Breguets are flying destroyers (esp the A/A gunned ones) watch for game balance with these.
    Mwuhahahaha! I must get mine out again, as he got wasted by a Pfalz last time.

I agree with Daniel. Two-holers add another dimension... and are still readily available. A nice D.H.4 (or R.E.8) for the Entente, and a Roland or Rumpler for the Central Powers will get a lot of mileage.

Hayden & Dave have the right of it. And I forgot all about the Breguets and Ufag C.1s.
    Last edited by fast.git; 03-25-2013 at 06:40. Reason: Credit where credit is do...

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Tommy
    Sorties Flown

Ok I placed my order

I will soon be the owner of
    Hawkers DH-2
    Udets D.Va
    The Richthofen brothers Dr.I's
    Keudell's D.III
    Barker's camel x2
    Coadou and Rickenbacker's SPAD
    Threw the extra SPAD in for the free shipping. I didn't see any 2 seaters for sale on miniature matey that's the only reason I didn't get them. Thank you everyone again for the great advice. It's appreciated

Greetings Thomas,

I hope you realize that this is just the beginning. Once you start down the road of minis, you won't be able to stop. I recommend that you start clearing out some space for the inevitable.

Nice starter collection; you will enjoy playing with them.

Welcome to the world of WGF minis.

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Greetings Thomas,

I hope you realize that this is just the beginning. Once you start down the road of minis, you won't be able to stop. I recommend that you start clearing out some space for the inevitable.

QFT. Welcome aboard Thomas! Sounds like you're getting a great start on a great hobby. Enjoy them &, if you're like me, enjoy the learning process. Part of the fun for me thus far has been the process of discovery in learning about the aircraft & history of the war.

Greetings Thomas,

Nothing to add to this diagnose

Ok I placed my order

Hawkers DH-2
    Udets D.Va
    Keudell's D.III
    Barker's camel x2
    Threw the extra SPAD in for the free shipping. I didn't see any 2 seaters for sale on miniature matey that's the only reason I didn't get them. Thank you everyone again for the great advice. It's appreciated
    You only made on mistake here that I see. You posted what you were going to do. Now you will be hounded for game pictures until you post some Welcome to the game Thomas! These are all fine plane that I am sure will serve you with hours of enjoyment!

That's a lot in one go. I am starting out slow with the duel packs. If we can round up some more locals in the area, it would be fun to start a WSF group in Philly.

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Tommy
    Sorties Flown

Well, I'll be playing and a friend of mine from Boston (next time he's in town.). I don't know of anyone else playing in the area. I even called a few local game stores and most of them have never heard f the game or if they did didnt have it or know of anyone playing. That's one of the reasons I went big on the first order with lots of variety on both sides. That way I can organize my own games with friends.

Spread the love! If that fails, solo games are pretty good fun.
    Not quite as good as tucking into a beer, and shooting friends down

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Tommy
    Sorties Flown

Scotch, only scotch here. But whatever your poison I'm sure it's going to be great

Ok I placed my order

Hawkers DH-2
    Udets D.Va
    Keudell's D.III
    Barker's camel x2
    Nice opening move. Enjoy!

Welcome to the obsession Thomas. You picked a nice collection of planes to start with. I'm sure that the 2-seaters will be reproduced soon, but until then you can find bombers available in the Aerodrome store. They can make for a very interesting and deadly opponent. Since your local gaming stores have not heard of the game, see if they have an open gaming night and offer to introduce the game. Who knows, you may recruit a whole slew of new flyers. Spread the word about the site as well, this is a great place to learn about the game from a great community.

Quote Originally Posted by CdnFlyer View Post
    Since your local gaming stores have not heard of the game, see if they have an open gaming night and offer to introduce the game. Who knows, you may recruit a whole slew of new flyers. Spread the word about the site as well, this is a great place to learn about the game from a great community.
    Can't argue with either comment... spread the word, spread the addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    Can't argue with either comment... spread the word, spread the addiction.
    Noooo ... don't spread the addiction. If you spread the addiction, there'll not be enough planes for us. Where will I get more planes from. Must have more planes. Need some planes.

Quote Originally Posted by seagull View Post
    Noooo ... don't spread the addiction. If you spread the addiction, there'll not be enough planes for us. Where will I get more planes from. Must have more planes. Need some planes.

When I laugh, it makes it all seem less... well... like it's a problem.
    Last edited by fast.git; 03-26-2013 at 07:23. Reason: Finishing thought...

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Tommy
    Sorties Flown

Well, Friday is the big day according to UPS. Can't get here soon enough fortunately I'll be off and waiting patiently for the delivery.

Enjoy your first planes Thomas, now if you want a CP two seater I highly recommend the Roland as it's got a nasty rear firing arc, also if your into making custom aircraft you could try Shapeways as they've got a large variety of planes, and there's plenty of help on the forum if you want to go down that route.

Lightbulb

Well, I'll be playing and a friend of mine from Boston (next time he's in town.). I don't know of anyone else playing in the area. I even called a few local game stores and most of them have never heard f the game or if they did didnt have it or know of anyone playing. That's one of the reasons I went big on the first order with lots of variety on both sides. That way I can organize my own games with friends.
    Hi Thomas! welcome to the 'drome & the game!
    You have unleashed a "tiger" my friend. You will always want more minis.

Do try the Player Locator function up in the Report for Duty section & you might be able to hook up with some players in your area.

Good Luck.

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Tommy
    Sorties Flown

Everything has arrived via ups today!! Now I can't wait to play!!! Probably gonna play tomorrow with the fiancé. Thanks everyone for the advice on planes. It is very appreciated.

Everything has arrived via ups today!! Now I can't wait to play!!! Probably gonna play tomorrow with the fiancé. Thanks everyone for the advice on planes. It is very appreciated.
    Enjoy those planes! We'll be looking forward to tales of your first combat.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Enjoy those planes! We'll be looking forward to tales of your first combat.
    Most definitely.

Let your fiancé win.

Most definitely.

Let your fiancé win.
    Yep, good advice.

Enjoy the game....I know I do.

Oh, any kind of wine or spirits here to get your game on.

Most definitely.

Let your fiancé win.
    What he said... Enjoy!

Let us know how it goes!

Similar Missions

1. Purchase Recommendations
    By Dun Diddly D. in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-24-2012, 00:48
  2. Recommendations for Bristol F2b?
    By Retief of CDT in forum Hobby Room