Ares Games

Thread: AAR: Midway Rising (Marechallannes US-Navy)

Default AAR: Midway Rising (Marechallannes US-Navy)

Midway Rising Part I

Lt. Commander Robert Schneider (commanding officer of VF-8 based on the CV USS Hornet) and Lt. Chapman were on a combat air patrol near the Midway Atoll when a huge wave of Japanese Mitsubishi Zero fighter planes headed for the Islands. There were no bombers in the formation, so the Japs seemed to claim simply the air superiority over Midway.

Lt. Co. Schneider thought a second how to attack the superior enemy fighters and called for support via radio.
    Then they spot a single USAAF P40 Warhawk, that headed for the Jap formation too and so the Navy pilots gave full speed to reduce the distance to the own plane, to attack the Zeros together.

They catched up with the P40 and commenced the attack.

Surprised by the maneuver of the US pilots, the Japs blocked themselves the line of sight, but the salvos the leading Zeros exchanged with the US pilots were heavy enough.
    Lt.Co. Schneider became a light damage because he managed to evade the bullets a little bit and damaged the enemy badly, but the P40 took the whole power of the leading green Zero’s cannon armament.

The Lt.Co. did an Immelmann – unfortunately his misjudged speed and maneuverability of his well-trained opponent and had now an enemy in the uncomfortable 8 o’clock position.

Lt. Chapman did the best to keep this Jap busy with his Grumman FM-1 Wildcat and avoided a bigger damage from the return fire.

A hard dogfight begun, but it was too close for some fighters to come in a good shooting position.
    The F4F-4 of the squadron commander received heavy damage from another Zero, that took the advantage from the too early performed Immelmann maneuver.

The brave USAAF P40 finished of the Zero, that was already damaged by Lt. Chapmann. The Lt. himself had great luck, that a closing in zero was too near to make a save shot at him.

The smoking red Zero felt into the sea…

Still smashing through the enemy fighters, the P40 damaged another Zero.

The planes detached oneself from the others, but now the Japanese stroke back.

Outmaneuvered by the more agile Zero the P40 was shot down over the Atoll.

This moment Lt.JG. Hunter’s red nosed Wildcat F4F-3 joined the fight and raised the chances for the US boys.
    The situation was a little bit crazy at the moment, when Lt. Chapmann fought versus the leading green Zero, Lt. Co. Schneider was still on his way to the P40 that was shot down.

…and so it happened, that the Zero that shot down the P40 catched the squadron commander’s Wildcat in a perfect angle and shot him down, too.

Unable to do help, Chapaman and Hunter saw their commander’s plane tumbling to the ground.

With no time to check the fate of Lt.Co. Schneider, the remainig Wildcats did their best to survive.

Lt. Chapman used his pilot abilities and finished an Immelmann turn with a slight curve to assist his comrade, but there was no need.
    Angry about his shot down commander, Lt.JG. Hunter maneuvered his Wildcat in a perfect shooting position and gave the Jap no chance to return fire.

"However this combat will end, you will not celebrate this kill...", thought Hunter.

The shot down Commander was avenged when the camouflaged Zero crashed into the sea.

End of Part I
    Last edited by Marechallannes; 03-06-2013 at 01:43. Reason: bad spelling

Midway Rising Part II

Why a two parted AAR?
    Simple reason: It took me 2,5 hours to complete part I. So I marked the positions of the remaining planes on the game mat and continued play the next day.

Mitsubishi Zeros & Grumman Wildcats regrouped just to attack again.

Lt.JG. Hunter caught the already damaged blue marked Zero and picked it with a perfect burst out of the skies.

Now it was two versus two.

Lt. Chapman flied an Immelmann to intercept the Japanese planes.

After finishing the Immelmann with a superb acrobatic maneuver, the head-on-duel between his Wildcat and the black marked Zero crippled his engine and wounded his enemy.

Flying dauntless straight on, he went for the green Zero.
    Meanwhile Hunter closed in too, with a long right curve.

The Zero pilot lost his nerves and missed the FM-1. Lt. Chapman’s and Lt.JG. Hunter’s crossfire ended his flight.

…a shared kill for VF-8.

The last Zero didn’t want to leave the combat.

With a brilliant maneuver he fooled Lt.JG. Hunter. The Jap had a perfect shooting position, but fortunately missed the US plane.

Now the Wildcat was the prey for the hungry Zero and the Navy pilot had problems to shake off the enemy.

But the joined Lt. Chapman the dogfight again and the Zero received damage from the crossfire.
    Unfortunately a MG bullet penetrated the front window of Hunter’s canopy, wounding him at his chest & shrapnels bolt through the cockpit.

Because of his engine problems, Lt. Chapman was unable to stay on the Jap’s six.

But the Zero’s pilot had only eyes for Hunter’s Wildcat and was damaged again by Lt. Chapman.

Finally the Japanese wasn’t able to escape his fate. With continuous fire the fighter was sent down to the ground.

Another aerial victory for VF-8.

The heavy damaged Wildcats regroup and left the area to join with their Carrier Task force. It was a hard fight and a tight victory for the US forces.

Last edited by Marechallannes; 03-06-2013 at 04:59.

Result

Without the evasion ability of the two veterans, this mission would have been a desaster.

You are really outnumbered, so the reinforcemet after turn 10 is really needed.

I would not say that I was outgunned, but the AI controlled Japs fooled me four times and I recieved broadsides without return fire.

Can't complain about the advanced rules. The Japs did a few Immelmans, but even the normal movements are dangerous enough.

US VICTORY

USAAF & US NAVY

Die roll for shot down Lt. Commander Robert Schneider:

1d6 → [3] = (3) Ace +2 = Bailed out/Crash-landed

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3959254/

Die roll for wounded Lt.JG. Terry Hunter:

1d6 → [1] = (1) = Out of Action

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3959257/

Japanes Flight I

Japanese Flight II

Last edited by Marechallannes; 03-19-2013 at 23:28.

Just read this Sven.
    That was certainly some epic contest. No wonder it took you 2.5 hours to run.
    It was a gripping action throughout, with no clear winner right until the very end.
    Thanks for posting it.
    Rob.

2.5 hours for part I.

Part II took another 2 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    2.5 hours for part I.

Part II took another 2 hours.
    Gotten himmel.

Rob.

What??? 4.5 hours to play the scenario?? I think I'll have to start to think seriously about the time when I'll play it

Marco

Time goes fast when you're playing. That's not the problem.

Time goes fast when you're playing. That's not the problem.
    Yes Sven, but I have to check the time my SWMBO will come back home otherwise...

Marco

Midway Rising Part II

Why a two parted AAR?
    Simple reason: It took me 2,5 hours to complete part I. So I marked the positions of the remaining planes on the game mat and continued play the next day.

I must say, this tape trick was brilliant! I may have fewer aborted games with this trick up my sleeve! Thank you for the tip!

That trick was a taste of genius! Why fly off the table when you can come back for 'round 2'. Nearly as awesome as your 'Butchers Bill', which with the extra editing looked that extra bit special.

Great stuff!!!

Thumbs up

Terrific AAR Sven & I loved the Butchers Bill Shots. Very inventive.
    Man those Zero's are hard targets with the Cannon damage they put out.

Well done to the US Navy Boys & interesting to see the Warhawk in action.
    Looking forward to trying mine but looks like some big 40K games coming up Friday so might have to wait till the following fortnight.

Thank you for your kind comments, guys.

Shawn, Hayden - I used a crepe tape, so that no glue remained in the gaming mat & I could write the planes name on it. The stripes marked the lower right corner of each plane base.

Barry - the P40 is a steady gun platform like the Grumman F4F-4. It was fun to fly it versus the Zeros. I hope for more WW II Pacific scenario planes.

Great AAR Sven. I am getting more tempted with each WW2 AAR I read to try a dabble in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Great AAR Sven. I am getting more tempted with each WW2 AAR I read to try a dabble in this area.
    So am I and that's really worrying.
    Maybe I'll just get the rules and two planes.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    I've already joined the dark side. Got the starter set in the post a couple of days ago.
    Not crazy about the planes in the set... would prefer the old wow one for the planes tbh.
    Got it for a good price though, so no harm done.

What should I say...

Neil, Rob - if you have the chance - get into a Spitfire and shot down a Messerschmitt or Zero.

Hayden - the New Deluxe Set isn't that bad. You've got the newest rules and four nice planes. To add a few Wildcats and Zeroes for a serious price shouldn't be a problem.

My girls love WGF at the most.
    Last edited by Marechallannes; 04-04-2013 at 09:10. Reason: bad spelling

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    So am I and that's really worrying.
    Maybe I'll just get the rules and two planes.
    Rob.
    Yeah, Yeah, Yeah thats what they all say!
    I just brought a Martlet to play with Chris's Box set & now have another 4 & am going to buy the RAP plus a Beaufighter & we have some (about 20) Skypilot die cast aircraft coming via a friend of Cols for $5 A each so you can see how the "mighty" can fall!

Similar Missions

1. AAR: Bombing Midway (Marechallannes - US Navy)
    By Marechallannes in forum Midway Rising
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 09-19-2013, 23:44
  2. Midway Rising - the planes
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-08-2013, 17:30
  3. Scenario 4: Midway Rising
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-04-2013, 23:09
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-24-2012, 13:55
  5. AAR: Midway Rising - Bombing Midway (US Nightbomber)
    By Nightbomber in forum Midway Rising
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-20-2012, 12:52