Ares Games
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Skype players forum

Default Skype players forum

Hi all after playing an excellent set of games with Old Guy 59 (Mike) in Canada from my place in France using Skype I think from the response there may be a few more adventurous souls who might want to have a go. So with this in mind if you are interested in playing please sign up by answering this post.

Paul

All,
    For this thread, we should have a standard format. I recommend the following:

Forum ID: OldGuy59 - Mike
    Skype ID: t.michael.owen - Canada (I'm on Private, so I need a PM through this forum first to find me)
    Time Zone: Pacific Standard Time -8 UTC (Oct-Mar) Pacific Daylight Time - 7 UTC (Mar-Oct)
    Available: Some evenings - Prefer Friday nights, Saturdays or Sundays
    Game: WoW WWI, WGF. All Nexus Boxed sets for WWI. Now have minis for WGS (four Mk1 Spits, 2 each of Galland's & Mölders' 109s).
    Languages: English, some French (willing to try), very little German (way too little for this).

I think that should cover all the necessary info for international gaming. Look forward to PMs.

Mike

As of 6 Mar 13: I have two paper and one mini camel, one SPAD XIII, two Nieuport 16's with rockets, one paper and one mini Albatross D.V, one Fokker Dr.1. I have one each of the Series 5 release (DH.2, Morane-Saulnier N, Halberstadt D.III, and Fokker E.III). Oh, and two balloons (Yellow and Brown Caquot Ms/A3 800s).
    As of 9 Mar 13: Two Snipes, another Albatross DVa, two DH4s and two Roland C.IIs! Just about doubled my minis! Found a "local" store selling out of their Wings of War stuff, and bought seven more planes! Canadian prices, but 20% off!]
    As of 4 Apr 13: An S.E.5a, another SPAD XIII's, two Nieuport 17's, two R.E. 8's, a Breguet BR.14, an Albatros D.III, another Albatross D.V and Fokker Dr.1, a Pfalz D.III, an UFAG C.1, and lastly, a Rumpler C.IV.
    As of 25 May 13: Two more SPAD XIII's, and a Caproni CA3 (to be assembled and painted: Reversico Fokker D.VIII)
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 06-18-2013 at 15:20. Reason: update with more new (to me) minis - WWS

Forum ID: skafloc - Neil
    Skype ID: skafloc3
    Time Zone: UK GMT
    Available: Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday through the day.
    Game: WoW WWI. Dr1, AlbDva, DVII, Gotha, AEG GIV, Roland, Camel, Nieuport, Spad XIII, Snipe, SE5a, DH4.
    Languages: English, some French (very little), some German (way too little for this) and my native tongue Geordie.

Forum ID: Attila57 - Attilio
    Skype ID: attilio_57
    Time Zone: TMEC (+ 01.00 UTC)
    Available: sometimes Saturday/Monday.
    Game: WoW WWI.
    Languages: English (...hmm)

Forum ID: Warlock - Alberto
    Skype ID: warlockmeister
    Time Zone: TMEC (+ 01.00 UTC)
    Available: sometimes during the week.
    Game: WoW WWI. WGF. WGS.
    Languages: English, a little French, a little German, Italian, a little Spanish

Warlock

To All:

Are there Skype Gamers out there interested in a two-on-two or three-on-three WGF game on 13-14 April 2013 (changed from 22-23 March)? I can arrange to host a video conference call up to two hours long for up to 10 people, if they (we) all have Skype. We can be anywhere in the world, if some people don't mind playing in the middle of the night, or early morning. Please enter your info on this thread, and PM me if you want to try this.

Mike
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 03-10-2013 at 23:49.

Unfortunately Mike I'm running games at Call to Muster show at Middlesborough on 23rd.

Sorry mates.
    I'm a dopey lizard. Now that I'm looking at the world for games, I have to keep an eye on more than local events. That being said, if someone brings a laptop to the tourney, I could play some games remotely there, too!

Kk, I will change the invite date. And I suspect that Easter weekend won't work well for most people, so even farther back. Darn.

Mike:-)

Default Skype Game - How to Play (Suggestion)

Just in case others find this thread, I'll put down what I've discovered so far about Skype Games:

1. Both players have Skype on their computers, and a webcam, microphone and speakers. Neil (Skafloc) used a headset, with a long cord, Paul (tikkifriend) had a moveable webcam. I used my laptop, as it has everything integrated. I added a separate webcam, on the second match, to give me the ability to zoom in on the action, without moving the laptop over the table.

2. PM through the Forum, or Skype messaging, whatever, to arrange the scenario. Or you could do it on the fly. "Wing it" as we say in the Air Force.

3. Set up a time, and one person initiates the call. Decide who will "host", and have the "Master" table, from which all shot measurements are taken (Being that both players are mirroring moves, drift will happen. There will be some differences in the movement. Having a moving webcam can allow the other player to see the placement and readjust the planes on the other table to match the master table, as needed.).

4. Play, and have fun.
    4.a. Each person chooses maneuver cards as normal. Once both have chosen for all planes in play, you tell each other your first card.
    4.b. Move all the planes on each table.
    4.c. If there are shots available, the host measures the ranges and indicates if there are close range shots, long range shots or the planes are out of range (shouldn't be by much). Adjust the position of the planes on the other table, if necessary to correct for drift (if you have the same battle mats, reference points should be a piece of cake). Adjust the planes only if necessary when shooting, not every movement phase.
    4.d. If there is damage, the player taking the damage draws the card from the appropriate deck at their location (so, separate decks for each player). Only special damage that the other player would see is revealed. Damage is kept secret, as usual. So, smoke, fire, gun jams, or my usual explosions are announced. The damage will be revealed as necessary (IE: the plane exceeds it's damage total, the pilot is injured twice, etc...) as the game goes on, or at the end. If you are doing AARs, both sides can take pictures for the report and send them to the "reporter".
    4.e. Next maneuver is done, reveal cards, move planes, take any shots.
    4.f. Repeat as necessary. If it is me that's playing, sweep the wreckage off the table and start over.

5. The two matches I played took about 90 minutes, as I am still learning the game, and getting used to the Skype format (First match: two quick one-on-one dogfights. Second match: Balloon busting, with two-on-one plane + a balloon). But, I think it works great.

Bigger groups, more planes might take longer, depending on experience. There is a two hour time limit on "Group Video Calls, which revert to an audio call if it goes longer. So, until we all get some more practice, Five-on-Five free-for-alls might have to wait. However, one-on-one doesn't have a time limit that I'm aware of. I Skyped with my better half playing World of Warcraft, when I was on my business trip for months at a time, and we were on Skype, at times, for hours.

Hope this helps encourage you to try this. It is only slightly different than face-to-face. The master table can be minis, the other tables can be cards, if the opponents don't have everything. It doesn't matter, as long as you have fun.

BTW: I am looking to run a four or six person game in the near future, and having opponents from around the world play together is my goal. Maximum mileage!

Thanks for suggestions, Mike.

I have to try them with some differences: using two cams (one "dome" over the table and one moving cam on side), proving the quality of my provider connection, trying to start up and use a sort of "dedicated server" (I have to study costs and time) everyone could use to cut off trouble. It's a hard work but someone has to/wants to do it! :-)
    But the idea is really good!

Warlock

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    To All:

Are there Skype Gamers out there interested in a two-on-two or three-on-three WGF game on 13-14 April 2013 (changed from 22-23 March)? I can arrange to host a video conference call up to two hours long for up to 10 people, if they (we) all have Skype. We can be anywhere in the world, if some people don't mind playing in the middle of the night, or early morning. Please enter your info on this thread, and PM me if you want to try this.

Mike
    Count me in Mike.
    Paul

Unluckly, I have a small but intriguing Con near Florence on April 14th and no network there. :-(

Warlock

If we could get a few people together on the weekend of the 13/14 April, it could look something like this (shift it a day to make it Saturday/Sunday, if that works better):

The World Clock Meeting Planner - Details

These are the corresponding times for your meeting:

Location Local time Time zone UTC offset
    Laramie (USA-Wyoming) Saturday, 13 April at 1:00 AM MDT UTC-6 hours
    Comox (Canada) Midnight (Friday 12/ Saturday13 April) PDT UTC-7 hours
    Talvern (France) Saturday, 13 April at 9:00 AM CEST UTC+2 hours
    Firenze (Italy) Saturday, 13 April at 9:00 AM CEST UTC+2 hours
    Canberra (Australia) Saturday, 13 April at 5:00 PM EST UTC+10 hours
    Morpeth (UK) Saturday, 13 April at 8:00 AM BST UTC+1 hour
    Mahina (France - Tahiti) Friday, April 12, at 9:00 PM TAHT UTC-10 hours
    Corresponding UTC (GMT) Saturday, 13 April at 07:00 0:00
    Glossary - UTC
    Coordinated Universal Time - the international basis for other time zones.
    Same time as for GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) and Zulu time.
    Note that United Kingdom is not on GMT during summer.

Using the World Clock Meeting Planner at: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meeting.html

Note: I am on leave for the month of April, so nearly anytime will work for me, even midnight, if I get to play a good game.

Mike
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 03-18-2013 at 22:44.

Default Multi-Player Option

All,
    I have obtained Skype Premium, which allows up to ten people to share video (only one of the ten need Premium, all the rest need only free Skype). On 20 April 2013, four of us got together for an Global Skype Game.

The AAR can be found here:SND Week 5 - Global Skype Game 2vs2 Dogfight!

Great way to spend an evening, and I have presently played more games with a person 7,000 kms away from me than anyone else.

Mike

Mike see you have made contact with Lucas in NZ re a WWII game . I have some planes so perhaps we could try WOG out as well.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Mike see you have made contact with Lucas in NZ re a WWII game . I have some planes so perhaps we could try WOG out as well.
    Paul
    Paul,
    We could. I have only three planes right now. 2 Spits and Galland's 109. Perhaps if I get a few more, we could try a game. Reading through the forum, WGS is a bit brutal with only one-on-one, and usually ends up in a turning match.

It would be good just for the game mechanics though. Other than a week's worth of landscaping this week, there is nothing on my schedule. A noon-time game for me, which would be evening for you?

Mike

Found this too late for April, but would be willing to Skype next time!

Quote Originally Posted by freebird-52 View Post
    Found this too late for April, but would be willing to Skype next time!
    You are more than to join us andy

Forum ID: 7eat51 - Eric
    Skype ID: a7eat51
    Time Zone: US CST
    Available: substantial variation
    Game: WGF
    Entente: Spad XIII, Sopwith Camel, Sopwith Snipe, De Hav. D.H.4, RAF R.E. 8, Breguet BR.14 B2, Nieuport 16, Moraine-Sauinier Type N, Airco DH.2, Caproni CA.3
    Central Powers: Albatros D.Va, Fokker E.III, Fokker DR.I, Fokker D.VII, UFAG C.I, Rumpler C.IV C, LFG Roland C.II, Halberstadt D.III, Gotha G.V,
    Balloons: Drachen, Caquot M,
    Card Sets: all of the WoW card sets
    Languages: English - Chicago dialect
    Last edited by 7eat51; 06-05-2013 at 21:53. Reason: Added titles for powers, etc. Good idea Andy - freebird-52

Forum ID: Freebird-52
    Skype ID: freebird_b52 (Andrew Bloom)
    Time Zone: US CST
    Available: evenings and weekends
    Game: both WoW and WGF:
    Central Powers: 2 x Spad XIII, 3 x Sopwith Camel, Sopwith Triplane, 4x De Hav. D.H.4, RAF R.E. 8, Breguet BR.14 B2, Hanriot HD1, Nieuports (11, 16 with rockets, and 2 x 17s), Moraine-Sauinier Type N, Airco DH.2, 2 x Caproni CA.3
    Entrente Powers: Albatros (D.III, D.V, D.Va), Fokker E.III, 4 x Fokker DR.I, 4 x Fokker D.VII, UFAG C.I, Rumpler C.IV C, LFG Roland C.II, 2 x Halberstadt D.III, Gotha G.V,
    Balloons:German Drachen and unmarked Caquot M,
    Playing Cards: all of the WoW booster sets except the Immelmann, box sets I have are Famous Aces, Watch your Back, Burning Drachens, and WoG Accessories
    Languages: English - Mid-west dialect

Forum ID: Nightbomber
    Skype ID: andrzej_adwokat
    Time Zone: UK GMT +1
    Available: weekends
    Game: WGF, WGS.

Would love to be on the invite list!

Forum ID: Ritterton - Rod
    Skype ID: rod_fleck (forks)
    Time Zone: Pacific Standard Time -8 UTC (Oct-Mar) Pacific Daylight Time - 7 UTC (Mar-Oct)
    Available: Some evenings - Prefer Friday nights, Saturdays or Sundays
    Game: WoW WWI, Most of Series 1-III, two drachens and cards.
    Languages: English, German (aber mein Deutsch ist nicht sehr gut).
    Last edited by Ritterton; 06-07-2013 at 22:01. Reason: Oldguy59 told me 2 ;-)

Rod,
    Please post your info as per the format, and if you are interested in getting in on the latest game (Slay the Leviathan - 8-9 June 2013), I will send you a contact request.

Mike :-)

Went back and edited my entry! But, I am unable to play this weekend...oldest daughter graduating from High School!

Kk Rod,
    There are several 'Rod Fleck's on Skype, and one that comes up with 'ritterton' in the profile. Is that you?

Well the one that seems to work doesn't have Ritterton in it...I was having trouble and had to recreate an account...huh...ok, so FORKS is the key!

Hmmm...
    Not finding you, Rod. Maybe our privacy settings are getting in the way.

We'll give it a try when we are setting up the next game.

Mike:-)

Mike,

Is this the right post to ask the question as to when's the next WoW WW1 / WGF Skype session? Maybe around the fourth Saturday in July (27-28)?

Love to play test another scenario of yours! And yes, I have both bombers (2 x Caproni Ca.3 and 1 x Gotha G.V with another on order) and scouts (what kind?)

Andy,
    PM coming at you. Can't let the cat out of the bag for all the OtT players.

Mike

Andy,
    PM coming at you. Can't let the cat out of the bag for all the OtT players.

Mike
    Roger, standing by...

Looks like I miss another one Mike, its lovely weather for a change and swmbo is wanting a BBQ. If your free Monday am would love to give it a try?
    10am (GMT) onwards?

Neil,
    Still obligated to show up at the office, so Mondays won't work until August when I retire. And then, Sunday's and Monday's are my SWMBO's days off. Hmmm....

This is gonna need some coordinating.

Mike

Roger, standing by...
    Email sent.

Mike

Mike,

Is this the right post to ask the question as to when's the next WoW WW1 / WGF Skype session? Maybe around the fourth Saturday in July (27-28)?

Love to play test another scenario of yours! And yes, I have both bombers (2 x Caproni Ca.3 and 1 x Gotha G.V with another on order) and scouts (what kind?)
    Andy,
    You should have the Scenario Set-up by now. Would you be available this evening, or some time tomorrow (except 5:00 to 8:00 AM PDT, unless you want to try WWII with a noob)?

Andy,
    You should have the Scenario Set-up by now. Would you be available this evening, or some time tomorrow (except 5:00 to 8:00 AM PDT, unless you want to try WWII with a noob)?
    Sorry, but tomorrow is out...another commitment with some other wargamers...

From the "Hangout vs Skype" thread...

I am trying to get a game on with Andy [freebird_52] to test out an "Over the Trenches" mission. For people not in the "Over the Trenches" campaign, it might be an opportunity to join in on a Skype or Hangout game. A suggested timing is Thursday evening, but could be Monday or Tuesday. Andy [freebird-52] is the pivot on this.

That would be:
    Location...................................Local time...................................................Time zone .....UTC offset
    Comox (British Columbia)........Thursday, July 11, 2013 at 4:00:00 PM.......PDT.............UTC-7 hours
    Columbus (Ohio)..................... Thursday , July 11 , 2013 at 7:00:00 PM.......EDT.............UTC-4 hours
    Toowoomba (Queensland)...... Friday, July 12, 2013 at 9:00:00 AM............AEST.............UTC+10 hours
    Corresponding UTC (GMT)....... Thursday , July 11 , 2013 at 23:00:00

Of course, this would be conditional on Andy being available that night, too. I'm available any evening except Wednesday, and this coming weekend (Friday 12 July to Sunday 14 July) is out, too.

Mike
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 07-08-2013 at 19:09. Reason: Date change

Wednesday is good for me...trying to round up a few others locally.

Wednesday is good for me...trying to round up a few others locally.
    Andy,
    Sorry for the inconvenienve, but I was given the wrong date. My social obligation turns out to be on Wednesday, not Thursday. So, either Tuesday or Thursday for the Test Run.

Hope either of these is OK, or it will have to be next week.

Mike

Thursday night works as well...same times?

Andy,
    Yes. I updated the invite, above.

What time would that make it in France Mike?

Paul,
    Sorry, but this would be 1:00 AM Friday, your time. Also, this is a trial of Mission 6 for the campaign. So, I'm not sure you would like to join in on this.

We could schedule another game next week, if you like?

Roger that Mike . Best of luck with the game boys.

We're game here in Louisiana, so two of us will be Skypeing from my home...

We're game here in Louisiana, so two of us will be Skypeing from my home...
    Gack! And I was napping when I could have been playing! Some advanced notice would have had me online instead of snoring.

Mike

Gack! And I was napping when I could have been playing! Some advanced notice would have had me online instead of snoring.

Mike
    Sorry for the miss understanding Mike, I meant that there will be at least two of us playing tomorrow night, Thursday , July 11 , 2013 at 7:00:00 PM.......EDT (which is based on your update times posted earlier)

KK,
    I panicked.

I must be desperate for a game, or something.

Mike

If there's a space I'm up for it? Just do the math and tell me what time in BST (British Summer Time). Well I think that's what were on over here.

Neil,

If this World Clock converter is worth it's salt, then

Location...................................Local time........................................................................................Time zone .....UTC offset
    London (UK).............................Midnight between Thursday, July 11, 2013 and Friday, July 12, 2013........BST............ UTC+1 hour

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

Cheers,

Andy

Paul,
    Sorry, but this would be 1:00 AM Friday, your time. Also, this is a trial of Mission 6 for the campaign. So, I'm not sure you would like to join in on this.

We could schedule another game next week, if you like?

Neil,
    You would be in the same boat as Paul, for this. And it would be around Midnight for you, too.

Mike

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Anybody played WoW via Skype ?
    By tikkifriend in forum French Wing
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-17-2016, 01:30
  2. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-09-2013, 23:53
  3. 1st game via Skype
    By tikkifriend in forum French Wing
    Replies: 25