Ares Games

Thread: AAR - International Skype Game - France vs Canada, March 2013

Default AAR - International Skype Game - France vs Canada, March 2013

OK,
    Just to give you the scale of the distance between players...

My place...
    Name:  Vancouver Island, Canada_Comp.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  147.6 KB
    West Coast of North America, on Vancouver Island. Washington State and Oregon are to the South.

The World...
    Name:  Brittany to Vancouver Island_2Comp.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  151.6 KB
    Rough, straight line distance: 7,808 kms = 4,851 miles (Learning new things about Google Earth...). Lots more by actual wire.

tikkifriend's place...
    Name:  Brittany, France_Comp2.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  63.7 KB
    Northwest corner of France, nearer the Atlantic, but the Bay of Biscay than the English Channel... just.

The AAR to follow!

Mike
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 05-17-2013 at 23:44. Reason: Update

How did Skype work? Awesome. Great connection, with some lag, but really, when you look at the maps above, it was nearly instantaneous. It wasn't exactly like being in the same room, but it was not bad. Paul having a moveable camera was helpful, but I wasn't able to "Plug and Play" as easily. Next time the moveable camera will be in place. There was a nine hour difference in our locations, so I was 8:00 AM my time, and Paul was 5:00 PM his time.

Also, we both played on tables, and took all shot measurements from Paul's table. If we drifted for whatever reason, I readjusted my minis to match Paul's. We drew our own damage, and I took photos of each move, if anything happened. On the very first shot taken, I exploded. So, we threw that card away, and drew another. Later in the game, when we collided, Paul got the explosion from the "C" deck (I drew both, as I had the deck on the table). We threw that card out and drew again. The results are below. Paul will have to help with some of this, as I didn't record exactly when he took how much damage. We also ran out of time due to personal schedules, so the end was a bit abrupt, or we would have sorted a few things out for the AAR.

So, the actual Games. I'll post them in sequence, First Game...

Set-up with the Laptop, and me in my RCAF Training Yellow T-shirt (waiting for my WGF DR1 T-shirts). The shirt was for the First Annual RCAF Fun Run. As a happy coincidence, it is in the two Official Languages of Canada, and therefore in English and French. Almost appropriate, except it was two English guys playing. Nearly the right countries, though.
    Name:  Skype Game set-up.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  137.8 KB

The planes on the table, and Paul on the laptop, planning his first move. The movable (but not used) Webcam is in the glass vase support next to the laptop. A not-intended decoration. SPAD XIII against my Fokker DR1:
    Name:  Game01_Start.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  88.4 KB

First Turn, and we both turned away from each other:
    Name:  Game01_Trn1.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  63.7 KB

Trying to get close enough to shoot during this turn
    Name:  Game01_Trn2.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  66.5 KB

Turn 3, first Maneuver, and bullets fly. This is where it all goes bad for me, and I instantly explode! We decide that this is an unacceptably short game, considering the time it took to arrange, so throw out the explosion and I drew another card. I didn't take a picture of the other card, but it was a "1", with a "Rudder Jam" special damage. I drew his damage card, too, but we decided this wasn't a good idea. After this, Paul drew his own, and from there I didn't know what I did to Paul.
    Name:  Game01_Trn3Mvr1.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  74.8 KB

Turn 3, second maneuver, and we are in pistol or "bird flipping" range. We didn't resort to small arms, so no damage.
    Name:  Game01_Trn3Mvr2.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  84.9 KB

And the SPAD's speed took Paul out of the fight. Man that SPAD hauls! I have to start considering how to catch this thing.
    Name:  Game01_Trn3Mvr3.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  88.7 KB

We both turn back into the fight, but before we can bring guns to bear, we overshoot. This turn, I was not able to do turns to the right, with the Rudder Jam, so no tight right turn. We missed shooting because of distance and firing arcs on the Second Maneuver. And the Third? We do our damnedest to collide.
    Name:  Game01_Trn4.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  127.8 KB

We are into Turn 5, and with a quick Immelmann, Paul gets me in his sights, but I'm pointing in the wrong direction. He gets only paint and canvas, though.
    Name:  Game01_Trn5.jpg
Size:  122.6 KB

Turn 6 is more jockeying for position. We are outthinking each other, or something... (it was at this point I confessed to Paul that I don't really know what I am doing, so trying to predict my moves can be very difficult.)
    Name:  Game01_Trn6.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  139.5 KB

Turn 7, more "beating up the air!" Because we aren't doing much shooting at each other. Paul is trying to stay in the fight, and I keep turning around in circles, underestimating the speed and lack of maneuverability on this SPAD.
    Name:  Game01_Trn7.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  168.8 KB

Turn 8, and more circles in the sky, but little else.
    Name:  Game01_Trn8.jpg
Size:  106.4 KB

Turn 9, and Paul finally gets me where he wants me, and I am finally able to fire back! I hit him, but he get more paint and canvas in return.
    Name:  Game01_Trn9.JPG
Views: 261
Size:  252.4 KB

Turn 10, first maneuver... We were both desperate to keep guns on target, so both hauled back on the throttles. We ended up directly on top of each other! This picture is both maneuver cards, the Fokker card and the SPAD mini all piled on top of each other. Out comes the "C" deck!
    Name:  Game01_Trn10Mvr1.jpg
Size:  191.4 KB

I drew a "1"! Again! And Paul drew the... Explosion! Not fair, so we threw it out. I drew the next card, and it was a "6" with a pilot injured. This is where Paul tells me his pilot is now too injured to fly, and spirals into the ground. The plane still had damage, but it was over. I reveal all the damage cards I had, including the C damage of "1"! The picture below shows the SPAD damage on the left, with the hits I managed, and the two C damage cards. On the right, is the Fokker damage, and the C damage of 1, with the tossed out A deck explosion.
    Name:  Game01_End.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  84.9 KB

So, with a virtual handshake, we swapped planes, and started again. I'll post the next battle shortly. Updates from Paul will flesh out when and where he took his damage.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 03-03-2013 at 08:59. Reason: Filling in the story

Default Game Two of the International Skype Meet.

Swapping planes, Paul and I go back at it again...

Turn 1, More wide maneuvers, no shooting.
    Name:  Game02_Trn1.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  140.3 KB

This time, knowing the speed, I try something different than trying to outcrank a DR1, and I nearly run off the table edge. However, the plan works. Only I'm way too far away from Paul to do anything nasty.
    Name:  Game02_Trn2.jpg
Size:  90.9 KB

Turn 2, third maneuver, and we close in, but I over turn, and end up in Paul's sights! He definitely takes advantage of the opportunity.
    Name:  Game02_Trn3.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  97.6 KB

Just maneuvering in Turn 3, so in Turn 4's first maneuver, we overrun each other. The Fokker's red dot is right under the "A" symbol of my base, so no C damage cards are drawn. Note: You can just see the table edge at the bottom of this picture. Being that there are no table edges in the sky, Paul and I agree to move both planes one ruler distance toward the center of the table. We continued the fight away from the edge, to give the SPAD a little space to turn.
    Name:  Game02_Trn4Mvr1.jpg
Size:  207.4 KB

Turn 4, third maneuver, we finish off the turn heading back toward each other nearly head on. And having both performed Immelmanns, we know where we are both going to be next turn...
    Name:  Game02_Trn4Mvr3.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  109.1 KB

Turn 5, and serious gunfire erupts, but Paul doesn't even get paint and canvas! I hope I did something to him...
    Name:  Game02_Trn5Mvr1.jpg
Size:  167.5 KB

Turn 5, maneuver 2, and we are shoot past each other.
    Name:  Game02_Trn5Mvr2.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  146.3 KB

Turn 5, last maneuver, and I have started another turn to get back in the fight.
    Name:  Game02_Trn5Mvr3.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  123.6 KB

Turn 6 is more maneuvering, without much combat. Perhaps Paul thought I'd pull another Immelmann to re-engage, but I stayed wide and used speed to try and get around him.
    Name:  Game02_Trn6.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  124.6 KB

Turn 7, and I completely underestimate the speed of the SPAD while trying to stay in the fight, while Paul cranks the Fokker completely around. He almost ends up on my tail, where I was expecting to be on his. Not good.
    Name:  Game02_Trn7.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  151.8 KB

Turn 8, first maneuver, and Paul closes in on my tail. Choices in a SPAD are next to nothing, here, except to outrun the Fokker. I will have to take some hits, even with my speed. Oh, and he is now tailing, and +1 on his shots! I'm in trouble.
    Name:  Game02_Trn8Mvr1.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  115.0 KB

Turn 8, second maneuver, and Paul gets to choose his next card after he sees my move. The glare of my dining room light obscures the card, but it is a drift left, to keep me in his sights. Only the grace of God is keeping my plane intact. What is that saying? "God looks after fools and children." I'm feeling young and foolish, now.
    Name:  Game02_Trn8Mvr2.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  162.2 KB

Turn 8, third manveuver, and I try to put myself in a favourable position. At least, get in a position where my guns are useful. I fire, but the Fokker is still dealing out pain!
    Name:  Game02_Trn8Mvr3.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  148.7 KB

Turn 9, and the stall move by the Fokker to keep me in his sights last turn lets me speed by him this turn as he tries to regain some lift. However, Paul immediately cranks his plane around, and catches me in the middle of my Immelmann. So much for trying to stay close to the action. Paul is brutally accurate, and I catch some of the lead flying by.
    Name:  Game02_Trn9Mvr3.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  178.7 KB

Turn 10, and Paul reads the cards right. I have to do a straight, and at this point I have planned a run for home. However, I have to get past Paul, and he isn't about to let easy meat get away. I perform the straight maneuver, taking my guns out of arc, and Paul comes in on my Starboard wing, unloading another hail of bullets. The close range does me in. I draw two "1"s, but that is "+1" each. The SPAD is tough, but Paul has made these hits count. My turn to spiral into the ground.
    Name:  Game02_Trn10Mvr1.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  155.8 KB

We have to pack it in, as Paul and I have other commitments, but a great set of dogfights, and my first time flying the SPAD. Inexperience showed, as I continually messed up my maneuvering, with over or underestimating the speed of the plane.

The very first plane I ever flew in Wings of War was a Sopwith Snipe, against a Fokker D.VII. I outmaneuvered that plane, but it was tough to do. Having flown only my camels and the Fokker, I was not ready to fly the SPAD, certainly not against the Fokker DR.1. But, Skype gave me that opportunity, and I have to thank Paul for trying this out.

I hope other will read this, and realize that this is a really good alternative to face-to-face engagements. For Paul in the middle of Brittany with no nearby opponents, and myself in the middle of Vancouver Island, with some opponents in cities South and East of me (but three hours by car and/or ferry), face-to-face games are hard to come by.

This is something I want to to again, and even a 9 hour difference in time isn't enough to discourage me. It just takes some planning.

'Til next time, Paul.

Mike
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 03-02-2013 at 19:17.

Wow, great idea, great pics. You have now opened up a whole new world of potential opponents. I have to try this and soon. Just got to get a headset with a mic! And work out how skype works. I take my hat off to you both and salute two pioneers of the hobby

Neil

Thanks for this now we all know how to organise the game so it can be Skype'd. Well done to both of you

Great idea & well presented, Mike.

I'm glad it worked so well.

A mobile internet camera sounds to be a good investion for this.

So the miniature game took place in Canada and Paul watched what happened on your table, planed his maneuvers in France and drawed his damage cards in France?

Bravo!!! A great idea introduced to the Aerodrome!!! Ladies and gentlemen, more opportunities to play our game with others of our community, and now the distance factor can be overcome!!! A special round at the Officers Club for these pilots and their innovative game play!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    Great idea & well presented, Mike.

I'm glad it worked so well.

A mobile internet camera sounds to be a good investion for this.

So the miniature game took place in Canada and Paul watched what happened on your table, planed his maneuvers in France and drawed his damage cards in France?
    Thats right Sven, I also played using my planes and remarkably we were only out by a little bit with the movement of the minis. I was a bit concerned that my connection might be a bit weak as it relies on overhead phone lines but it appeared to be ok for Mike

Mike, Paul, this is a great idea. I am glad you were able to make it work so well! Playing a game that doesn't involve hexes or squares is a lot tougher to do by distance such as Skype or email. Well done!

Default 2nd Game, actually

All,
    I really have to give the initial credit to Paul "tikkifriend". He has been trying to get Skype games up and running since he joined the Forum.

Although I called my thread the "1st International Skype Game", that is a bit of a stretch. Brobin and tikkifriend played a game first, between France and England, found here: 1st game via Skype. However, it was again two English guys, and only a short hop across the Channel, and still within Europe's Economic Community. So, I took some literary license with the title.

However, the process is remarkably easy, if you have Skype on a computer. Paul and I traded Skype names by PM, and set up a time. The rest is on the post.

So, hats off to Paul for perseverance.

And the suggestion of a Skype list/meeting room/whatever would be great (hint, hint, nudge, nudge).

Mike

It can be useful if you play off the mats , as you can have common reference points ie the bridge on the east map from which to check you are both on or near the same position. An overhead shot from time to time also allows you to get your bearings. All in all you probably get the same amount of drift as you would on a "real time "table game.

Paul

Perhaps we can set up a thread in the main Forum for those of us who want to play using Skype instead of it being in the French Wing
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    All,
    I really have to give the initial credit to Paul "tikkifriend". He has been trying to get Skype games up and running since he joined the Forum.

Although I called my thread the "1st International Skype Game", that is a bit of a stretch. Brobin and tikkifriend played a game first, between France and England, found here: 1st game via Skype. However, it was again two English guys, and only a short hop across the Channel, and still within Europe's Economic Community. So, I took some literary license with the title.

However, the process is remarkably easy, if you have Skype on a computer. Paul and I traded Skype names by PM, and set up a time. The rest is on the post.

So, hats off to Paul for perseverance.

And the suggestion of a Skype list/meeting room/whatever would be great (hint, hint, nudge, nudge).

Mike
    Thanks Mike

Very cool, a new way to play to WOG I'll post a link to your thread in the italian forum to publicize your idea into the italian community. I agree with Paul; you can set up a thread in the main forum.

Attilio

Attilio,
    tikkifriend has set up a thread for individuals to register their desire to play Skype games.

Please see: Skype players forum.

Note that we are asking for "Languages Spoken", so that it doesn't matter what country you come from, anyone can play with anyone else. Language may not be great, but it might lead to a "Translation List" of WoW/WoG words/terms to use when playing.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Attilio,
    tikkifriend has set up a thread for individuals to register their desire to play Skype games.

Please see: Skype players forum.

Note that we are asking for "Languages Spoken", so that it doesn't matter what country you come from, anyone can play with anyone else. Language may not be great, but it might lead to a "Translation List" of WoW/WoG words/terms to use when playing.

Mike
    Great, I'll update immediatly the post in the italian forum (http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...nscontinentale) with this info. I hope I can play with you.

Attilio

To All:

Are there Skype Gamers out there interested in a two-on-two or three-on-three WGF game on 23-24 March 2013? I can arrange to host a video conference call up to two hours long for up to 10 people, if they (we) all have Skype. We can be anywhere in the world, if some people don't mind playing in the middle of the night, or early morning. Please enter your info on the Skype Players Forum thread, and PM me if you want to try this.

Mike

Similar Missions

1. WMMS. 10th March.2013.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 298
    Last Post: 04-17-2013, 12:06
  2. 1st game via Skype
    By tikkifriend in forum French Wing
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 03-03-2013, 09:17
  3. March 17th Game Day in Ada, Ohio
    By CappyTom in forum WGS: After Action Reports