Ares Games
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: General overview of released minis - WWI

Added informations about superheavybombers from KS project.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    Nope, John, I do not think so. Look at this picture:

Attachment 159207
    Hey Daniel - yep I ended up buying a model for my collection and figured it's an odd case where you get both A & B at that range! Thanks for the response though!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Yes it is A and B forward - the model doesn't actually depict them, but the reason is that after the Kiel Canal recce idea was abandoned, that one was fitted with a pair of forward firing Lewis guns above the wing centre section for home defence work.

http://micklem.com/planes/dh4.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    Yes it is A and B forward - the model doesn't actually depict them, but the reason is that after the Kiel Canal recce idea was abandoned, that one was fitted with a pair of forward firing Lewis guns above the wing centre section for home defence work.

http://micklem.com/planes/dh4.jpg
    Cheers Dom - very interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by Mycenius View Post
    Hey Daniel - yep I ended up buying a model for my collection and figured it's an odd case where you get both A & B at that range! Thanks for the response though!
    Sorry for my late - not an easy era for WoG in my life, but hope I am back again

As someone completely new to Wings of Glory WWI this thread has been invaluable. Thank your for the initial post and your continuing efforts to keep it current.

Thanks, this thread is helpful!

One question though: How about the planes from the second deluxe set? Weren't those republished later by Ares in the duel sets? Or do i mix things up now?

Cheers,

Henrik

Correct. RDS minis are reprinted in the Duel Packs, so all of the Series 1 sculpts except the Camel (which only has 5) have six minis each.

Ok! Thanks for the confirmation. I missed the second deluxe set, but got the duel packs.

I had the impression that the quality of the duel packs was a small step back (though still perfect gaming pieces!), which was completely remedied with later releases.
    This might have been a personal impression though. On the table, you cannot really see a difference anyway.

Thanks again

The DP's were a small step back as with the Ares Series 1 re-run (for some reason they had to completely re-tool, and still didn't fix things like the Albatros struts or Rickenbacker's wrong shade of green), but yes, they are improving.

This was a great help, but why on earth did they reprint the groups out of order the next time round? (just curious)

I hope they will reprint S3 and S4 as shown here (my god, the red Brumowski Albatross D.III is SO AWESOME), I still cant forgive myself for selling stuff off before, my beautiful silver Nieuport 17/23 Kibanov boo hoo!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Umm, they didn't.... The first reprint was the Camel, Dr.I etc, which was the original series 1, and the second was Series 2 - D.VII, Snipe, Roland and DH4.

Keep in touch, Lee - the 3rd serie is a step to the 4th with S.E.5a. I think they will continue with reprinting But do not miss minis that are in shops right now.

ah, its just that Ive got hold of those later ones via ebay but now I realise they must be the original Wings of War line then, OK, that explains why I'm confused, I knew I was missing something

as long as this ebay stuff gets here safe and sound I'm only missing the DH4 and of course the S3/S4 thats not been reprinted yet. Is there anywhere I need to register or will it be posted here directly when you can get hold of those?

The best way is stay in touch with the Aerodrome. Herr Oberst is selling minis in AA e-shop here, so you can order directly from this site when they will be released or buy in your LGS

Part of it is that things get SKU's in the order they enter planning at Ares. The Series 1 reprint was already in development at the time of Nexus's collapse, so it got WGF101-104. Series 5, which started planning before "1-B", got 105-108 for early-war birds, and so on.

Basically, you kinda have to get into a little "inside baseball" to see how it works, but once you do it all snaps into focus. Nexus allocated SKU's by "WOW___ for the entire line, and whatever gets production ready first gets the next slot", and each original mini series had not four but *five* numbers for SKU's, the fifth being a sealed factory case of two complete sets.

Ares, on the other hand...
    WGF or WGS - prefix letters identify WWI or WWII line. (First or Second WW's) Then we come to a three-digit number:
    0xx = "Core Products" - Starter Sets, Duel Packs, Rules Packs and so forth.
    1xx = "Square Box" - smaller single-seat scouts.
    2xx = "Rectangular Box" - multiseaters and large single-seaters like the Macchi M.5 and the 1-seat 1-1/2-strutter variant.
    3xx = "Special Release" - large multiengine bombers, balloons when they release, etc.
    4xx = set aside for undisclosed projects in long-term development.
    5xx = Accessories - peg packs, game mats, etc.
    Finally, we reach a Suffix letter indicating which version (paint scheme for singles, which planes for Duel Packs, and so on) of the particular product it is.

One minor quibble I have with how they chose to do things: I would have front-loaded and set aside the early SKU's for all of the old Nexus products, for example the Spad XIIIs would have seen A set aside for Baracca, B for Fonck, and started with reprinting Rickenbacker as C, continuing with the new planes as D and E, and the three new DH4s would have been D, E and F since there were no reprints. This would have sent a subtle message about "We get the message, we know you want to see more of your old favorites and we're working on them, but at the same time we also want to bring out some exciting new things too to make a bigger and better game for everybody." The other thing I would have done would have been to create a Duel Pack for each new pair of sculpts with an additional paint scheme, along with a one-of-each-sculpt "Sampler Pack" for each series akin to the original Series 1 Revised Deluxe Set. But that's just me... the *other* thing I would have done is try to keep the combination of old and new schemes per sculpt to even blocks of 4, 5, or 6 per varying by what Keith can fit into his hangar trays. (If they'da done even just *one* reprint DH4 I'd be OK, but right now I have an orphan camping with the RE8's until new ones of them come along and kick it back to its original factory box.)
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

What are the odds that the Series 3 and Series 4 plane sets will be reprinted? I saw a news announcement for Series 9 but I am hoping that does not mean they will just plough on ahead and ignore S3/S4.

Now I have to cobble together an "at a glance" table of years and "point values" for everything so far to work out what can and cant be put together in a reasonable fight. And I chatted to someone recently who said that getting one of all the types is not the best way to do it, more historic and cool to have squadrons of 3 or 4 of the same types against each other in teams. The wife keeps putting the kibosh on me getting everything I want anyway

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

I'd say reprints are very likely, but get the impression that Ares are stretched pretty thin covering all of their games at the moment, so would think in terms of a year or three rather than months. The SE5a (in series 4) has to be the most-wanted aircraft in the game at the moment, so hopefully they'll get to it eventually.

thanks Dom - South Yorkshire? where? I am from sunny Rothers originally. went to school at Wickersley Comp after moving from the glamour of Parkgate

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Small world. I'm a Sheffielder, but know a few from Rovrum - one of my old workmates did a year at Wickersley at the end of his teacher training.

There current release plan is to do a reprint followed by a new Series and repeat. Things like Specials get slotted in that line up as well. Roberto has told me that we will get 3 and 4 reprinted, it's just a matter of time.

Thanks for the latest. The troops morale has been restored.... until the gripers get out of control again.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

I suspect "two new, one reprint" is a more likely schedule (since Ares started we've had 5, 1R, 6, 7, 2R and 8, and I get the impression that 9 is further along than 3R) but time will tell. One way or another, at least they're coming.

Here's another Sheffielder, looking forward to the Series 3 and Series 4 reprints..........................

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    I suspect "two new, one reprint" is a more likely schedule (since Ares started we've had 5, 1R, 6, 7, 2R and 8, and I get the impression that 9 is further along than 3R) but time will tell. One way or another, at least they're coming.
    Well, their stated schedule is a Reprint then a New Series, repeat.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

I'll take what I can get.

I just uploaded new pictures and pilot names of Special Pack # 3 - Heavy Bombers into this post.

Yes! All very useful. Thanks once more Daniel.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Does anyone have a link to images showing the Series 3 and 4 planes different paintjobs/pilots?
    I'll also make a slight sad face that the reprints havent been announced yet. Also please let me find out about them before they are all bought up immediately by The Others.

Lee, if you follow this link to the Files section and download WOW & WOG Complete Listing April 2015, I think that it will contain what you are looking for. http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...hp?do=cat&id=5

There is also this thread www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?13900-General-overview-of-released-minis-WWI&p=373585#post373585
    Last edited by Naharaht; 10-16-2015 at 08:33.

thanks David!

this thread is fantastic!
    with just one click you can have all the planes of Wings of War/Glory World War I.
    Thank you!

Devid

Daniel we need to adjust the climb rate of the Spad XIII.

Actual it's 2 not 3 anymore.
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Thanks Daniel.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Many thanks, Daniel!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

I don't see the Fokker E.V, Nieuport Ni.28 or Hanover CL.IIIa.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    I don't see the Fokker E.V, Nieuport Ni.28 or Hanover CL.IIIa.
    Yeah - it looks like Airplane Pack #8 got deleted.

Barry

Thanks Barry,

Also do you know if the Series number match from Nexus and Ares? Are there any others? Over at BGG what they use for series numbers does not match what is listed here.

You are right - it really isn't there. I will repair it tomorrow

OK, I fixed the Series No. 8. I forgot about it and have a Special Pack No. 1 (Balloons) twice there. Thank you for your comments

OK, I fixed the Series No. 8. I forgot about it and have a Special Pack No. 1 (Balloons) twice there. Thank you for your comments
    Thanks!

This is a really great reference!

Barry

It is important to tell me about such errors like that mentioned one. I still have time to edit, but need to know what is wrong

Thanks. It is great to have this.

How odd, I just notice that the bases on the Albatross D.III and Ufag C.I are reversed?

Airplane Pack # 3

Albatross D.III - J, A , 14, 4, 11

Ufag C.I - H, B/B, 16, 4, 11 (twoseater)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. DoW Maneuver Decks Overview
    By Kaiser in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-07-2013, 03:11
  2. Comments and notes for General overview - WWI
    By Dan-Sam in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-06-2013, 15:54
  3. Big Birds Vol.5-1 Released
    By Baldrick62 in forum 1/144 Scale Dawn of War