Ares Games

Thread: A Tale of Two Camels

Default A Tale of Two Camels

After a crazy week at work, I decided to build a Fiddler's Green Camel and a Zio Prudenzio Camel back to back for some relaxation over the weekend. I was interested to see which build was easier and which model had the best sense of scale.

As these are my second and third card model builds, I am still figuring out the process of working with card stock. I will admit that I rushed some if the "fiddly bits" on these models, especially on the Zio Prudenzio Camel.

Here is the result of my building marathon. Zio Prudenzio Camel is on the left and Fiddler's Green (Roy Brown) Camel is on the right:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0474.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	78784Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0476.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	78785Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0477.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	107.7 KB 
ID:	78786Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0478.jpg 
Size:	114.6 KB 
ID:	78787Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0479.jpg 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	78788Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0480.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	109.7 KB 
ID:	78789

Both models were a pleasure to build and were about the same difficulty level. The Zio Prudenzio model needed a bit more tweaking for me to get the dihedral right (it's still not perfect), but I think it captures the "feel" of a Camel a little better than the Fiddler's green model.

Overall, I had a blast with both models this weekend! I think I may have found a new favorite hobby...

If you hadn't told me they were card I would never have guessed. Don't you fancy doing a How to....For the forum?

They look nice and it even looks like you got the bow in the top wing.
    Nice work.

You do this for relaxation ?
    They do look brilliant - if I tried to make them the result would look like they'd suffered from deceleration trauma !!

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    They do look brilliant - if I tried to make them the result would look like they'd suffered from deceleration trauma !!
    I know exactly what you mean Dave.
    I marvel at the skill levels of these chaps, and I used to make card models in Graphics with my pupild, but nothing on this scale.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Michael
    Sorties Flown

Both are awesome, but my vote goes to the Zio Prudenzio Camel because it is looking like the thing
    Fiddler's Camel look really good from behind but the wings are at the wrong position. I think moving the wings ca. 3-5mm in nose direction would cure it.
    Last edited by MadMike; 02-28-2013 at 01:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    If you hadn't told me they were card I would never have guessed. Don't you fancy doing a How to....For the forum?
    Thanks! I certainly wouldn't be opposed to documenting my next build in more detail, and if there is enough interest I could be persuaded to do a full tutorial. I must be honest though, much of my technique comes directly from Getter 1's fantastic card model how to found HERE.

His models are superb and besides a slightly different building perspective, I don't really know how much I could add.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Haha. I suppose it does seem kind of crazy to do this for relaxation. I manage a bicycle shop and love working with my hands so it is nice to come home and work on something without handlebars or gears for a change. Besides, I figure working at this scale will help keep my eyesight sharp as I journey into my middle age years.

Those are fantastic,well done.

Well done. The Camel was my first build. Very nice indeed!

I've made several of these models. It is fun to put them together. Just imagine the playing board. Great for a backyard sortie.

Quote Originally Posted by AzRedShoe View Post
    I've made several of these models. It is fun to put them together. Just imagine the playing board. Great for a backyard sortie.
    Mike, have you built any at 1/144 scale? If so we will have to see about getting you some bases and cards for them.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Where can I find 1/144 scale planes? I thought the ones on the page looked large, real large. I could imagine a backyard game with giant cards and a few pints. ints:

that was suppose to be I also sent your boothill pictures.

Where can I find 1/144 scale planes? I thought the ones on the page looked large, real large. I could imagine a backyard game with giant cards and a few pints. ints:
    You pretty much have to scale different projects down accordingly...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

I have to print the Prudenzio planes at about 12% to get 1/144 scale.

At this size, I can put four planes on one sheet of cardstock.

For this scale, I use 32 Lb laser copy paper but normal people would probably use 67 Lb cardstock.

Similar Missions

1. An extraordinary tale
    By AlgyLacey in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-17-2012, 04:34
  2. Vinegar: a cautionary tale!
    By petitbilbo in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-28-2011, 03:54
  3. The tale of a Kyte.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 4