Ares Games

Thread: 3 Naval A flight Camels

Default 3 Naval A flight Camels

I've finished off my 3 Naval A flight Camels. All Shapeways WSF.

B6242 - KLON

History:
    11/09/17 – Delivered to 3n
    23/01/18 – DFW OOC Houthulst Forest (GB Anderson)
    01/03/18 to 8n

Also this Camel, I don't know the serial.

I can finally recreate this photo

My Shapeways A flight goes well with B flight (Ellwood repaints).

Here's the rest of A flight.

N6377
    16/06/17 to 3n
    27/7/17 - Seaplane into sea, 3m north of Ostende. Shared – N6364, B3782, B3781 & B3805 (HF Beamish)
    05/09/17 – Albatros D.V Middelkerke (HF Beamish)
    10/09/17 – DFW forced to land Furnes-Adinkerke Shared B3785, B3858, B3866, & B3895 (HF Beamish)
    23/09/17 – Albatros D.V Middlekerke (HF Beamish)
    22/09/17 – Repair shop then 1n

B3858
    27/7/17 – To 3n
    22/08/17 – Albatros D.III St Pierre Capelle (GB Anderson)
    10/09/17 – DFW forced to land Furnes-Adinkerke Shared B3785, N6377, B3866, & B3895 (GB Anderson)
    13/09/17 – Repair depot
    26/10/17 – 3n (painted with stripes)
    05/02/18 – Engine failiure & forced land nr Woeston (E Pierce)
    07/0218 – Depot overhaul – to 9n

B7275
    23/03/08 to 3n
    07/06/18 Collision uneven ground (WAW Carter)
    08/06/18 – Repair depot
    Rebuilt as F5948 to 4 Sq AFC

Serial Unknown

There's loads of the images I used for the decals in my RNAS Single seaters album, help yourself if you want any. There's also pictures of B flight with a brief history of each plane (if I could find the serial number).

Ian

Edit. B flight pics here:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...-Flight-Camels
    Last edited by Womble; 02-25-2013 at 16:25.

Those are absolutely fabulous! I am awestruck.

Stunning! Bravo, I love the recreation of the picture with the line of camels!

Holy moly! You don't do things by half measures, do you? A great lineup and very nice work on all of them!

Wow! Wonderful recreation of the early photo. Just curious...how long from concept to completion? Again, cudos on a great use of these little game-pieces.

Thumbs up

Thats just fantastic Ian.
    Really deserves some Rep Points.

Superb! I wish my hand was that steady!

Not only a great bit of painting Ian, but also an inspired presentation of what will be a useful resource to anyone else who decides to embark on painting machines from this Squadron.
    Any plans to include C Flight in the future?
    Rob.

Thanks for the great comments and rep points everyone. This project started many years ago so its great to get this far.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Any plans to include C Flight in the future?
    Rob.
    Well Rob, this thought has crossed my mind, especially with the new Ares planes re-released. I may paint the last flight with 203 squadron markings for mid to late 1918 games, I can then justify having 18 Camels. At this rate it'll take a while though.

Thanks again everyone.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by redcoon2 View Post
    Just curious...how long from concept to completion?
    It's taken a while to track down this many. My first plane was an Ellwood back when series one initially came out and that started me off, after 6 months they were up to a flight of 4, it then took a couple of years to find the rest of B flight and finding the photo above was a great breakthrough. I think A flight has taken about a year to paint, just adding a camel to every Shapeways order. I tried to match the Ellwood colours for the Shapeways planes, now I'm tempted to repaint the Nexus top wings so they all match exactly. By the way I used 2/3 Vallejo Russian uniform green and 1/3 Vallejo brown violet.

Ian

What a tremendous effort Ian - please drop some pics into the showcase

Users Country Flag

Name
    Michael
    Sorties Flown

What an outstanding result - Bravo
    I really like your gang of little camel rascals

Simply outstanding.

Excellent, really a cracking set of aircraft there, well done that man

Excellent, yes!!!

Amazing, well done.
    Fantastic line up.

Great job on those. I just received a notice that my Shapeway planes are being shipped. See how I do with them.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

You are totally Awesome! Those wonderfully painted planes, fabulous job!!

It seems German Intelligence intercepted some of these photos. Word has it that upon seeing them, their Command has gotten very nervous with the upcoming air offensive. A General was overheard commenting "Those cursed British and their resourcefulness"!!! They were impressed, as was I!!!

Quote Originally Posted by crashx View Post
    It seems German Intelligence intercepted some of these photos. Word has it that upon seeing them, their Command has gotten very nervous with the upcoming air offensive. A General was overheard commenting "Those cursed British and their resourcefulness"!!! They were impressed, as was I!!!
    British intelligence has uncovered plans for a German counter offensive so must act fast. The following photo was recently smuggled out of the Pfalz factory. They estimate that the reinforcements will not be ready for action for at least a few more weeks. They hope that the loss of laser printer technology will halt production while rumours of vast lozenge reserves remain unvarified.

WOW! Excellent display of art!
    It's great to have 2 whole flights of the same squadron.

Karl

Default French roundels?

Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    I've finished off my 3 Naval A flight Camels. All Shapeways WSF.

I can finally recreate this photo

Superb work on your models and I only wish my painting skills were half as good! Something odd just struck me about that photo though: if you compare the shades of the rudder stripes with the shades of the roundels, it appears that the nearest aircraft at least are using the French style cockade with the blue center and red outer ring...............

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Ross View Post
    Superb work on your models and I only wish my painting skills were half as good! Something odd just struck me about that photo though: if you compare the shades of the rudder stripes with the shades of the roundels, it appears that the nearest aircraft at least are using the French style cockade with the blue center and red outer ring...............
    Stuart,
    Don't forget that the rudders may not be at the same angle, have the same reflectivity, may be sun-faded...

Black and white photos are not reliable indicators of color. For that matter, neither are color photos, if the conditions aren't perfect, and there isn't a color balance strip in the picture.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

I would tend to agree with Mike's appraisal.
    Number five in the row also seems to have a larger blue center to the roundel as well which is interesting.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I would tend to agree with Mike's appraisal.
    Number five in the row also seems to have a larger blue center to the roundel as well which is interesting.
    Rob.
    I noticed that too. It's difficult to assess the actual color from the gray scale but it could possibly be different from the others because it's the Royal Navy where truth is often stranger than fiction and they will do anything to irritate the army!

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Ross View Post
    I noticed that too. It's difficult to assess the actual color from the gray scale but it could possibly be different from the others because it's the Royal Navy where truth is often stranger than fiction and they will do anything to irritate the army!
    Very true Stuart, very true.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. Naval 10 B flight
    By Boney10 in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-03-2012, 22:08
  2. WGF Naval 10 B Flight
    By Boney10 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-17-2012, 01:28
  3. The Camels are coming!
    By gully_raker in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 10