Ares Games
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MvR Tribute painting contest

Great Jan.
    We are going to get two for the price of one.
    Rob.

Blew my chances, my own fault for not reading the small print. Did he fly the Alb Dva? (Only spare option I have left).

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Blew my chances, my own fault for not reading the small print. Did he fly the Alb Dva? (Only spare option I have left).
    Yes, in J.11, as listed in posts 1 & 5. In 1/144 the difference between a D.V and a D.Va is effectively nil.
    Last edited by Baldrick62; 05-09-2013 at 12:11.

Applying a fantasy scheme to MvR's D.Va would be a nice option, Neil.

Thanks everyone, I'll get my skates on and get going. (Don't think I'll need the freezer or hot water this time!)

I can't even find it. Is it stated somewhere that an entry has to be anonymous?

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    I did allow it in the bomber contest, but that was because there was only two entries. I'm going to have to say no in this one, sorry Jan. However, a diorama contest could be very cool!
    So, what's the line then? How do you intend to rule the distinction between acceptable backgrounds and illegal "dioramas"? It was noted in the last contest that the pictures of planes flying "over the coast" on the official maps made a large difference in the perception of at least one judge. Would you have banned Clipper's entry if he took pics of the plane on the deck of his HMS Furious model? Are we allowed to use non-WoG maps as backgrounds? What about photo spreads of Olivia Wilde? Are submissions illegal if another plane happens to be in the picture? Is image manpulation strictly forbidden (I assume cropping at least is o.k.)? If not, what are the guidelines for that? I believe some of the old contests had planes photoshopped onto backgrounds.

I'm not trying to be difficult, I just like to understand the guidelines.

Thats what I was trying to clarify, again should have made myself clearer.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick62 View Post
    Yes, in J.11, as listed in posts 1 & 5. In 1/144 the difference between a D.V and a D.Va is effectively nil.

I am correct in assuming if I went into an individuals profile I would have access to their entry photo via their album?
    If so is my entry illegal ? i.e. my Fokker Dr1 that I posted in the hobby section under:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...ng-competition

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbomber View Post
    Applying a fantasy scheme to MvR's D.Va would be a nice option, Neil.

First rule about painting competition is don't talk about painting competition.

I know it’s not entirely possible, but I like to keep the entries anonymous to help level the playing field some. That is why I have everyone place their photos into a “Profile” album. Photos in those can only be seen if you have the direct link to them (which you send me in the PM).

As for dioramas and backgrounds…

Photographing the plane(s) with a gaming mat or sky background is fine. Knowing how to photograph your planes in the most flattering manor is not against the rules. Building supporting elements, using other planes to tell a story, and the like would not be allowed. Had clipper sent in images on the carrier, I would have asked him to send in some different ones without it. If I feel photos appear to be heavily Photoshopped, I’ll inquire about them in more detail. Simple level and color corrections I have no issues with.

If it ever gets to the point where people appear to be cheating, I’ll either not allow them to enter any longer, or I’ll just stop the contests. But I don’t think that is going to happen.

I like to keep the entries anonymous
    So, is that a restriction that you can't enter previously posted content, or just a preference?

If it ever gets to the point where people appear to be cheating,
    Well, that's exactly my point. It's hard to call anything cheating when every entry is a judgement call. By your current standards, would you have asked CrashX to replace his DH.2 pictures with extra planes in the background? If I print out an old black and white flight line picture to use as the backdrop for my entry to this contest, is that kosher?

And I know you're not gonna start banning entrants left and right, but I'd like to know my limitations before I set my pictures (or start painting, really).

No one wants to come the heavy, particularly not Keith who would have to be one of the most approachable and laid back forum moderators in the history of wargaming forums!

Just stick to the contest concept which is pretty clear - Pick a plane flown by MvR, paint it up best you can, stick it on a flight stand, take some photos (on your playing map, white box, sky background, keep it simple), submit your entry, don't post it anywhere else, don't discuss your entry.

I agree with the last part - I would not like to see entrants try to organise voting blocks, it would detract from the spirit and purpose of the contest.
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 05-10-2013 at 06:51.

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudotheist View Post
    So, is that a restriction that you can't enter previously posted content, or just a preference?
    Most of this should be caught by the "Must be painted during the contest period" rule. If you posted photos of the plane before the contest started, it is already not legible to be entered. If you paint and post it after the contest starts, you are just allowing your competition to see what they

Well, that's exactly my point. It's hard to call anything cheating when every entry is a judgement call. By your current standards, would you have asked CrashX to replace his DH.2 pictures with extra planes in the background? If I print out an old black and white flight line picture to use as the backdrop for my entry to this contest, is that kosher?
    Since I'm the one that would say someone is "cheating" and I'm the one that would make the judgment call before the entry is excepted, I don't see a problem really. There would never be a cheating entry in the voting part of the contest. I allowed CrashX's photos with the other planes of that flight in the background as 1) he made it clear which planes were the ones entered into the contest, and 2) they showed they were part of a bigger flight... which was what the contest's theme was.

There is a huge difference between a background for your image and a diorama. Backgrounds are allowed, everything else is not.

And I know you're not gonna start banning entrants left and right, but I'd like to know my limitations before I set my pictures (or start painting, really).
    If you think it might not be allowed, don't do it. There is plenty of leeway in the rules for you to enter with out fear of getting an entry banned.

These contest take a lot of time and effort to run, so if they get to complicated, I'm just not going to do them. I simply don't have the time mess with it these days.

Could I just check, the rules states that the plane has to be of a type flown by MvR so can I paint any Albatros DIII flown by any pilot and enter it in the competition?

Quote Originally Posted by Burt View Post
    Could I just check, the rules states that the plane has to be of a type flown by MvR so can I paint any Albatros DIII flown by any pilot and enter it in the competition?
    Hi Burt, the answer is yes.

From the first post:

Rules:
    •One entry per member
    Miniature must be an aircraft type flown operationally by MvR (not training or testing, see list below) . The plane could have been flown by another pilot, but the type had to have been flown by MvR. This opens up several German plane types to paint!
    •The miniature can be from any manufacture, but must be of the correct type of plane.
    •Must be painted during the contest period.

The work is done.

Entry PM is delivered.

Great contest, Herr Oberst.

As always I am behind time, so busy weekend ahead!

Don't worry, wingman.

I'm going on vacation the last May week - no time to paint and post pictures there.

That's the reason for my fast participation.

Have a great time then, Sven Magnificent Austrian Alps as usual?

Yes.

I'll post it in the Over the Trenches Officer's Mess, soon.

Got my entry in! But I kinda phoned this one in, so I'll be disappointed in you guys if you let me get another medal.

Just a couple more days now everyone!

Entry submitted, my first contest!

Is there any bling/gong for that?

I'm working on it Keith, honest. You would not believe the problems I've had this month, and my Good Lady's broken hand was only part of it.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I'm working on it Keith, honest. You would not believe the problems I've had this month, and my Good Lady's broken hand was only part of it.
    Rob.
    Sorry to hear about your Good Lady's hand!

Rob, you did not break your Good Lady's hand to prevent her from interfering with your painting, did you?

Anyway, my entry is almost finished (just the struts left to do), but I am sure the quality of the pictures is going to suck big time again.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchdog View Post
    Anyway, my entry is almost finished (just the struts left to do)
    OK, now we know whose the Dr.I with struts will be

Wait! Maybe all the entries have struts except mine?

Getting down to the wire guys and girls!

Ever had one of those moments when you think "That's not supposed to happen"?

I just had one such moment when I grabbed a can of what I thought was Tamiya flat clear to finish off my entry...... and after the first pass I realised it was actually a spray tin of Tamiya flat aluminium. First time I've done anything like that in over 35 years of model making

Lucky I started on the underside and I can repaint and redecal when it drys, but I am out for this contest.

Now to reorganise my work bench and put my TRS 80 flat clear on a completely different shelf......

Ouch sorry to hear that Carl

Thanks guys. I repainted this morning but I have lost the underside and fuselage decals that came with the aircraft from Skytrex, so I will have to make some more.

C'est la Guerre!

Real sorry Carl.
    I know how it feels. I once varnished a regiment of Highland troops with white undercoat, and wondered why a bloom was forming on the surface until it started to turn whiter. Oh the pain of having to repaint all the striped kilts and diced socks.
    At least that was not for a comp though.
    I now keep my undercoat on a totally different shelf.
    Rob.

Sorry to hear the news Carl! Know the feeling, been there myself a time or two...

Last day for entries everyone!!

Entry sent. Good luck everyone.

I'm back from my vacancies in Austria and curious for the entires.

Yes, got mine in before we left for Partizan.
    Good to heare you are back Sven. i hope you had a good time.
    Rob.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    I'm back from my vacancies in Austria and curious for the entires.
    So thats where you have been Sven!
    We missed you.
    There is another WW2 AAR with Aussies & Japs ready for you to read.

Great you are back Sven I hope you had a great time in the mountains!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Missions

1. DH.2 Takes Flight Painting Contest
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Past Contests
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 04-22-2013, 12:34
  2. WW II Painting contest
    By Marechallannes in forum Polls
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-23-2012, 06:14
  3. Site: What type of non-painting contest would you like to see?
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 06-13-2012, 01:06
  4. Painting contest subject restrictions?
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Polls
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 05-17-2012, 03:21
  5. ACE painting contest
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Past Contests
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-10-2011, 05:42