Ares Games

Thread: Anybody remember Ace of Aces game?

Default Anybody remember Ace of Aces game?

I've been trying to remember the name of this game for ages and someone reminded me last week. It's the 2-player game in which each player has a book. I'm hazy now as to exactly how it worked but it was great fun to play for a while. Each page shows the view out of your cockpit with, hopefully, a view of the enemy as well (preferably from behind). I remember sitting at quite boring 15mm 7 years war game in the early eighties, playing this whilst waiting for something to happen on the table.

Happy memories - any other old-timers remember this one?

Doug

Each player decides on a maneuver, looks at the bottom of the page and tells the corresponding page to each other, turn to the respective pages, look at the bottom of the page finding the new page corresponding to your maneuver, go to that page an there's the result. Once you play a couple of turns, it goes pretty quickly.

My wife and I enjoy playing these. We have the Handy Rotary Series and the Powerhouse Series. We also play a one-on-one fantasy combat series entitled Lost Worlds which uses a very similar mechanic.

For Ace of Aces:
    http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/7...-rotary-series

For Lost Worlds:
    http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1421/lost-worlds

And a funny Lost Worlds video review:
    http://boardgamegeek.com/video/21093...s/video-review

Yep, there is at least one thread somewhere on here about it. Good times, good times. We used to play in high school in the "stage crew room". My friend Steve Berbes ran up quite a score.
    Last edited by jbmacek; 02-21-2013 at 15:11.

yes one of the lads at our wargames club always carried it in his bag incase of emergencies ,great fun and memories.

Mickowenuk's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Mick
    Sorties Flown

You know I had totally forgotten, I have the rotary series knocking around somewhere. As you say great memories with great friends.

There was a poll about it: Here

Great little game.
    karl

I have all four of the WWI books and an odd one set in the Wild West. To me the hardest one was the Balloon Buster set. I never could quite figure out where the enemy a/c was going to be. It seems to me that there were rules added that let you play a campaign but I'm not sure. Unfortunately the books are in storage or I'd take a look. It was Ace of Aces that inspired me to do Blue Max.

Never heard of that game. I see it came out in 1980. I was stationed on Okinawa from 80-85. Had a crew that played a few games. Air Force (Avalon Hill), System 7 (GDW/Napoleonic) and two RPG's Runequest and Bushido. I have to find my copy of Air Force and Richtofens War as it may add some good information for use with Wings.

FASA had a similar system, using a series of discs with cutouts. It did not work very well.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Never heard of it, sounds like it was fun for quick duel!

I remember some sets of books written along the same lines that were hack and slash fantasy.

I have 2 copies of the Handy Rotary books, and one of Flying Machines.

I think they will be playing this at Texicon this coming May. I know the are holding a Lost Worlds tournament and I remember reading something about Aces of Aces. The convention is in Fort Worth Texas.

'Ace of Aces' was published by Flying Buffalo. They are still in business and are planning a reprint. Here is a weblink http://www.flyingbuffalo.com/ace.htm

I had several of the sets and enjoyed playing them. As usual, I wound up getting shot down quite a bit.

I remember it, we used to play it in the back of the car on the way from Scotland down to Northern Militaire in Oldham. Does anyone remember that show?

Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by armstrongjohn1 View Post
    I remember it, we used to play it in the back of the car on the way from Scotland down to Northern Militaire in Oldham. Does anyone remember that show?

Mark.
    I remember it very well from the seventies. I don't think Oldham was the original venue - intially it was on the south or west outskits of Manchester as I recall. It wasn't far off the M62 coming from Liverpool...

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by somaliavet View Post
    I remember some sets of books written along the same lines that were hack and slash fantasy.
    Lost Worlds. And this is where I ask the question, "have you seen the Japanese version of Lost Worlds?"

Quote Originally Posted by phililphall View Post
    It was Ace of Aces that inspired me to do Blue Max.
    It is a great game, pure genius. As said before, it inspired Wings of War too - it was the urge to make a game as simple as Ace of Aces but easier to play with many people, different models of plane, different missions that pushed us to design WoW.
    And of course many games sessions of Blue Max (that I played far more than AoA), besides Dwan Patrol and other aerial games (and Gunslinger among the non-aerial ones), have been very inspurational and influential too.

I know that game...They also made a Star Wars version where you had a book for the X-wing and a book for the Tie-fighter...

Must have that one lying around somewhere

I quit playing when i found out my friend had memorizrd the book,you give him your manuver page he would give you the perfect solution, or page to shot you! Every time you moved he could grainteed hof shoting you, other than that it was an awsqme game. Iactually Had the Old west gane it was not as good.

Yes I have it. Recently dug it out of the loft.
    Originally started playing it with a group of friends back in the early 80's.
    We often played it in the pub after we had finished wargaming.
    We used to sit with a pint , flicking through the books, shouting numbers at each other and either laughing or swearing as the result came up.
    We used to get some funny looks for some reason

Richard

I had the game many years ago. I regret selling it.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bourne View Post
    I remember it very well from the seventies. I don't think Oldham was the original venue - intially it was on the south or west outskits of Manchester as I recall. It wasn't far off the M62 coming from Liverpool...

Doug
    I think originally it was somewhere near Salford Tech. I remember them having a large ECW canon outside one year and letting it fire.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingryno View Post
    I quit playing when i found out my friend had memorizrd the book,you give him your manuver page he would give you the perfect solution, or page to shot you! Every time you moved he could grainteed hof shoting you, other than that it was an awsqme game. Iactually Had the Old west gane it was not as good.
    When that started happening, we just wrote down the maneuver page number, then showed it to each other. Gave us several more months of enjoyment.

I played a lot with my wife during our numerous trips ; I have the Powerhouse serie, the blue one. Still in good conditions I mean the books not the wife ...

I played as well with friends to the Bounty Hunter serie. Lot of fun I have to say !

Similar Missions

1. Osprey aces 110 Austro Hungarian Albatross Aces of WW1
    By Boney10 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-11-2012, 21:02
  2. Remember
    By Kahlerclan in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-24-2012, 14:05
  3. Aces of Aces Limited Edition Reprint Kickstarter
    By jbmacek in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 3