Ares Games

Thread: First Crack at a card Model: Zio Prudenzio Dr.I

Default First Crack at a card Model: Zio Prudenzio Dr.I

Greetings everyone,

After purchasing the Famous Aces and Burning Drachens box sets a few weeks ago, I've found myself thoroughly enjoying this game.

As a long time plastic modeler and WWI aviation nut, I was interested in adding minis to the game. After being inspired by many of the posts in this forum, I decided to scratch my modeling itch by trying a card model:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0463.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	77358Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0464.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	77359Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0465.jpg 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	77360Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0470.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	77361Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0471.jpg 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	77362Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0472.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	77363Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0473.jpg 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	77364

While there is certainly room for improvement, I really enjoyed this build! Many thanks to those who have posted their inspiring builds on this site.

Next up, perhaps a Camel...

Beautifully executed, and great first post!

One of the coolest things people do with the paper models is to modify the files with photoshop to create new paint schemes before printing. Who needs paintbrush skills when you can use microsoft paint? With a builder as skilled as you are, you could come up with a pretty unique variety of paper aircraft that would be all but indistinguishable from the diecast planes on the table.

That's a very nice job for a first attempt... none of mine have ever made it to the finished stage. lol

Simply wow , that plane looks so cool for a card model and I cannot wait to see more of your work

Really nice work. I need to do one of these soon. I may try a Nieuport after the project I'm working on now.

Very well done! May the paper force be with you.

A very good model for a first attempt.
    Iv'e not been tempted to try a paper plane.
    Too many fingers and thumbs.

Very well done!

Thanks for all of the kind words everyone! I enjoyed this build way more than any of the plastic models I have built recently, even at such a small scale. Mostly because there was very little painting involved. (I'm rubbish at painting ) Like greenalfonzo mentioned, once I have a handle on my card modeling skills I can turn my attention to some digital re-paints!

I've got a Fiddler's Green Camel on the bench right now, and if work isn't too crazy this week I may have it finished by the weekend.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Michael
    Sorties Flown

Congrats, your Dr.I looks marvelous. Please keep us informed on your current builds. What paper had you used ?
    -Michael

Quote Originally Posted by MadMike View Post
    Congrats, your Dr.I looks marvelous. Please keep us informed on your current builds. What paper had you used ?
    -Michael
    I used 65lb smooth card stock. It seemed to work well enough and edge glued quite nicely.

What did you use for your pilot? I like the scarf!

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

I must concur the previous poster, excellent model for your first attempt!

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    What did you use for your pilot? I like the scarf!
    Thanks! For the pilot I painted the head of a sewing pin and tied a piece of thread around it for the scarf. I then filled the fuselage with hot glue and stuck the pilot/scarf combo into that.

Quote Originally Posted by cbradford109 View Post
    Thanks! For the pilot I painted the head of a sewing pin and tied a piece of thread around it for the scarf. I then filled the fuselage with hot glue and stuck the pilot/scarf combo into that.
    Fantastic bit of improvisation!

Maybe it is the red of the plane plus my OSU buckeye roots but that pilot looks a lot like Brutus Buckeye. Hmmmm.

Very nice work, I wish I could work on that small scale.

Very nice,saw the camels first or I'd give you reps for this one.

THE more i read here about paper planes i wonder if a CLUB has designed a CUSTOM PRINTOUT for handout? sounds like a way to get publics atteion.

Quote Originally Posted by boomerpete53 View Post
    THE more i read here about paper planes i wonder if a CLUB has designed a CUSTOM PRINTOUT for handout? sounds like a way to get publics atteion.
    Unfortunately, when the average person sees how small the printout is for a 1/144 scale model, they say, "Oh! I could never do that."
    Much better that they start by purchasing the commercial models, and later desire to build some paper model which is not available as a commercial model.

In my case, being rather cheap, I told myself that I would rather build for a week than spend $15 on a commercial model.
    Although, I also bought many commercial models.

Quote Originally Posted by Zakopious View Post
    Unfortunately, when the average person sees how small the printout is for a 1/144 scale model, they say, "Oh! I could never do that."
    In my case, being rather cheap, I told myself that I would rather build for a week than spend $15 on a commercial model.
    Although, I also bought many commercial models.
    What Ken said.

I had to go out and buy a magnifying glass on a stand, to build my models. Also, when I was hit with my addiction, there was a choice of ludicrous evil bay prices, or nothing (Fall 2012).

Since, I have continued building paper planes (slowly), and buying models. And I plan on using paper to "photoshop" some custom planes, too.

Mike:-)

Quote Originally Posted by cbradford109 View Post
    Greetings everyone,

After purchasing the Famous Aces and Burning Drachens box sets a few weeks ago, I've found myself thoroughly enjoying this game.

As a long time plastic modeler and WWI aviation nut, I was interested in adding minis to the game. After being inspired by many of the posts in this forum, I decided to scratch my modeling itch by trying a card model:

Name:	IMG_0473.jpg 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	77364

While there is certainly room for improvement, I really enjoyed this build! Many thanks to those who have posted their inspiring builds on this site.

Next up, perhaps a Camel...
    Only just spotted this posting Chris, but as card models go it is very acceptable indeed, never mind it being your first attempt.
    Rob.

Excellent! Many time ago, the DR.1 was my third attempt. He then flown to Poland where he still resides.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post
    Excellent! Many time ago, the DR.1 was my third attempt. He then flown to Poland where he still resides.
    I met a WOG gamer from Poland last summer at Origins in Columbus, Ohio.
    Thus, I believe that I know where the DR.1 went.

Chris, she is lovely. Very impressive, indeed.

I met a WOG gamer from Poland last summer at Origins in Columbus, Ohio.
    Thus, I believe that I know where the DR.1 went.
    You are both lucky men, having met personally. I still have to meet you in the flesh.

Here I am with Benson.
    He was a 136 Lb. Rottweiler.
    Unfortunately, Benson died in 2009.
    I was lucky to find another Rottweiler at the local dog pound one week later.

Name:	Crop-Img_1672.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	118027

Here I am with Benson.
    He was a 136 Lb. Rottweiler.
    Unfortunately, Benson died in 2009.
    I was lucky to find another Rottweiler at the local dog pound one week later.

Name:	Crop-Img_1672.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	118027
    I've seen this photo many times in several places.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-26-2014, 18:45
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-22-2013, 07:53
  3. Zio Prudenzio Model Cards - My 2nd Project - Fokker DR1
    By OldGuy59 in forum Paper Card Models
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-22-2012, 02:01
  4. Zio Prudenzio Model Cards - My 1st Project
    By OldGuy59 in forum Paper Card Models
    Replies: 23