Thread: Seeking feedback: Scenario for play

Users Country Flag

Name
    Warren
    Sorties Flown

Default Seeking feedback: Scenario for play

CMS_v04.doc
    Hi.

Here is an attempt at a complicated "multiple objective" scenario. I'm going to present it at a gaming convention this weekend. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

First read its too complicated and far to long.

Why give the CP armour if one of their main objectives is to destroy the bridge?

Why give the Allies reinforcements? (The CP don't have to cross the bridge but the allies have to defend it).

Why do the allies have to defend the bridge? (None of the CP objectives is to cross the bridge).

This would be more suited to a limited objective campaign over 4-6 scenarios not one big scenario. If you have 6 players, I take it 3 per side, who commands what?

I could go on, some good ideas just too long for a one off.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Warren
    Sorties Flown

0h no, please do go on. You bring up some things that I simply haven't thought of. Your feedback is exactly what I need.

Thanks!

I've only just skimmed this but you say that the game is time limited to one hour in one part & twenty turns in another - it should be one or the other, it would be unlikely this time & turns would correlate with six people playing, in other words it's unlikely you will finish a turn in 3 minutes.
    The first Fokker Dr1 flew in July 1917, unlikely it would be available & the first Fokker D.VII didn't fly until Jan 1918 so would not be available in the time you have chosen; haven't checked on the others. Basing the scenario in 1918 would fit better but it's your war & your airforce !
    You've achieved complicated !
    Most blokes would probably break this into several games to be played throughout the con and the results maybe affecting the next game inventory & then applying those results to the sides for the last hurrah.
    Entente attack CP Balloon - blinding the Hun artillery
    CP attack Entente observer planes - getting the pics home
    En attack CP Artillery; CP attack En reserve lines; that sort of thing.
    Hope this gives you some ideas Warren & good luck at the con

Without wishing to rain on your parade Warren. How many points of damage is each of your bombs worth?
    Rob.

What type of con is this? Is this mission created for a WoG con where players are already familiar with the game? Is this a generic gaming con where you will be competing for attention in the first place and are introducing new players to the WoG game?

If it is the former (veteran players), this might be an interesting take on a complex mission that requires planning etc.

If it is the latter (new players), I am not sure this scenario represents the general feel of WoG accurately. I am not making a value judgement on the scenario, just pointing that out. If the purpose is to get interest in the game, people may be drawn in or pushed off by this type of scenario then realize later that this is generally not how the games run. It actually reads closer to a Warhammer 40k game and on that note, I would suggest using a scatter die for artillery as it may be easier for you.

I don't have lots of experience with WoG, but I do know teaching and con type environments and I think it will be very difficult for you to get players to pay attention while you do things like separate secret briefings and explanation of damage systems that are different for different targets.

Those are my thoughts on this. I hope it goes well and I am sure a great AAR will come of it though, as it seems to be an exciting mission to review. If it were me, I would stick to a bombing mission so that almost everyone gets the job of shooting other planes and one or two people get to try their hand at controlling a giant and blowing sh-er... cards up. It would be fast paced, simple, have natural tension build up (as the plane closes) and a definite climax as the bombs drop. IMHO

Users Country Flag

Name
    Warren
    Sorties Flown

Yes! Complicated. My life has been actualized.

I'm going to take all of this in, break it all down, and see what I can do. But, well said...this is far too complicated with mixed missions and too much for your average gaming convention.

Thanks to all! And no raining on this parade...you've given me a great deal to think about and work on this idea. I do appreciate it all. Happy to be in our community.

Similar Missions

1. Feedback for Richard Bradley
    By Watchdog in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 06-19-2012, 06:40
  2. Seeking historical accuracy
    By petitbilbo in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-14-2012, 01:10
  3. New House rules: skill system, altitude, etc. need feedback.
    By graysin1337 in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-09-2011, 19:30