Ares Games

Thread: Zio Prudenzio Model Cards - My 5th Project - Albatros D V - Schleich

Default Zio Prudenzio Model Cards - My 5th Project - Albatros D V - Schleich

OK,
    This is the 4th build post, but Nelson's Camel has been sidelined. He was a third of the way to being done, when I signed up for the campaign. And the build will be the same as the 1st and 3rd Projects, so I won't post more of the same stuff. I will link album pictures to the other threads, though.

The DV was a really daunting project, as the fuselage is a double compound curve. It was why I was originally going to finish the Fokker D VII first. But the upcoming campaign needs some earlier aircraft to start. And my minis are lost in the snow somewhere in the Great White North.

The solution to the compound curves was to use frame formers. Pictures attempt to show what I tried:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5thProjAlbDV_S20130201-FusStart1Cmprsd.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	109.3 KB 
ID:	75667

This shows a 1:48th scale drawing of a model, and I printed it to 1:144th

Name:	5thProjAlbDV_S20130201-FusStart3.jpg 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	75668

Then, I tried to cut out formers to match where the folds and transitions in the model required some stiffening. This would allow me to roll the card around the former and edge glue the skin. It almost worked as planned.

Name:	5thProjAlbDV_S20130201-FusStart4.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	116.0 KB 
ID:	75669

The empannage was actually really good. If you follow the plan, you have four little pointy pieces of paper that taper into a point. I fit the elevator into the cut slots, and just glued the bottom halves together. After I was happy with this joint, I glued the elevator into place. Once that was dry, and it looked level and properly positioned, I glued the top two edges and the tail/rudder into place. Down below, I took a picture of nose, showing the cutting grid behind the fuselage. It shows how straight this ended up. Not like previous models which took some fiddling to get level and straight, this turned out great first try.

Name:	5thProjAlbDV_S20130201-FusStart5.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	162.1 KB 
ID:	75670

I'd like to say the rest of the fuselage was as easy, but the formers were not the same in this model, as the drawing. The engine compartment former and the prop former were way too big. I had to remove them and re-cut them. The engine compartment one worked, but the prop one was too small, on the third try. I did without it, as the glue on the seams by the third try were holding together well without it. So, perhaps, it did work. Also, I was planning to pin through the prop disk, into the engine compartment, but decided to glue the prop directly to the fuselage. By this point, I had formed the prop hub and glued it to the disk, and it was staying really well. So, what the heck. No pin (prop shaft).

Name:	5thProjAlbDV_S20130210-FusComp1.jpg 
Size:	202.6 KB 
ID:	75671

Above is the plane with the prop hub and disk glued to the fuselage. This actually worked out much better than I thought it would. Just so you know, the ring that was supposed to go around the back of the prop was actually glued to the front of the fuselage, and the hub and disk was glued directly onto the prop ring/fuselage. I took a marker to the joints before gluing the prop disk on, just in case the fuselage ring was bigger that the prop hub. This would hopefully hide the white interior ring. It worked.

Name:	5thProjAlbDV_S20130210-FusComp3.jpg 
Size:	159.1 KB 
ID:	75672

The lower wing hole was trimmed to fit the large chorded, cardboard filled wing, and the wing fitted. I drilled a hole in the fuselage for the stand, as the prop disk was now too big to let the plane sit on the table without stress or potential damage. The above shot is the one I mentioned above showing the grid in the background. The wings and horizontal stabilizer are almost perfect. You can just see the tail through the prop disk poking up above the fuselage, if you look close. It is actually vertical, too. This is Zio's model pattern, not necessarily my skill.

Name:	5thProjAlbDV_S20130210-WngRad1.jpg 
Size:	113.7 KB 
ID:	75673

Last thing to mention, and something I have been using throughout the model work is the fine tipped markers. The colors aren't perfect, but darn! They are close enough. When I cut out the radiator parts, I realized that coloring them once on the wing would be next to impossible without messing up the wing. Do them first! Great idea, and the edge color work well.

Name:	5thProjAlbDV_S20130210-WngRad2.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	75674

The above shot shows the cut radiator, and the edge colored radiator, with the grey marker in the background. The lower picture shows the upper radiator glued in place. Also, the dark green and the purple markers were used to color the fold edge on the wing, where the white cracks of the fold were rather significant on the 65 lb paper. The markers make the wings look pretty good.

Name:	5thProjAlbDV_S20130210-WngRad3.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	75675

So, that's it, so far. Next are the really fiddly bits on the engine, wing struts, and the landing gear. Still a ways to go on this one.

Mike
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 02-11-2013 at 06:28. Reason: rewording

Users Country Flag

Name
    Michael
    Sorties Flown

Your Albatros looks mighty good, very clean build. I'll look frequently whats comming next, thumbs up

Well it looks really good to me Mike. To you and all the people with this different kind of skill, and the deftness to carry out the production of these paper masterpieces.
    Rob.

Default Part Two

OK, this is a bit faster than my last builds, but only because I actually sat down and worked on it for a few nights. So...

I have noticed that German plane models have the fiddliest engines! At least, so far. The Fokker DR1 cylinders were just a nightmare the first time, but the many parts for the Albatros DV was almost worse. However, only because of the multiple parts, and the fact that I made my own life difficult by gluing the prop disk on before working on the engine. Maybe, I should have done the engine parts before gluing the whole assembly on? Don't know if that would have helped, or not. I might try it next build.

Name:	5thProjAlbDV_S20130215-Eng2.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	261.5 KB 
ID:	77030

Name:	5thProjAlbDV_S20130215-Eng1.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	203.2 KB 
ID:	77031

The undercarriage wasn't any more difficult that other planes, and I used the MacDonald's cardboard for wheel fillers again (My 1st Project, Part Three shows this). The covers aren't yet installed. I left some extensions on the paper parts, and cut slots into the fuselage to accommodate them. This was for extra stability and strength. You might be able to see it in the engine pictures, but it might also just look like edge gluing, too.

Name:	5thProjAlbDV_S20130215-UnderCarr1.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	111.2 KB 
ID:	77032

I didn't take a lot of intermediate pictures, as gluing on the wing was just a bit of work, as usual. However, this time, there were landmarks on the top and bottom wings, and no dihedral on the lower wing. So, I looked over the plane instructions, and the scale drawing I had for references, and cut the tabs off the outer struts. Then, I edge glued the outer struts to the top wing. After that, I cut slots into the fuselage for the cabane struts, and glued them in place. I glued the outer struts into place, and held the wing in the correct position until it dried. Once the wing was in place, I applied glue to the top of the cabane struts, and pushed them into a position that looked sort of correct (No landmarks for reference). This is what I got:

Name:	5thProjAlbDV_S20130215-Complete5.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	77033

Name:	5thProjAlbDV_S20130215-Complete4.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	77034

Oh, and the wheel covers, windshield and guns got stuck on in there somewhere, too! So, another German plane, to match up with the two Camels, for now. And the few minis I got in the mail, at long last!

[Edit: The base was made from a Base Card file uploaded by Zakopius.]

Mike
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 02-17-2013 at 00:30. Reason: Added link

Really starting to excel at this Mike.
    Well worth a bit of cred.
    Rob.

Nice work Mike - far beyond my patience !

My plastic or metal kits don't turn out that good !

Users Country Flag

Name
    Michael
    Sorties Flown

Bravo, von Schleich had been glad so should you.
    -Michael

Great Work !

When you put them on the game table, other players will be amazed.

Amazing work!!!I can't believe that's paper!!!!
    Well done!!!!

Nick

Beautiful job! I really like how the fuselage came out!

It has been announced on the Papermodelers.com site that Fabrizio Prudenziati (Zio Prudenzio) has passed away.

This is sad news for the many paper modelers who enjoyed making his models.

http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/z...ssed-away.html

These are very sad news.
    I love his models, built several and I am building a 1/200 scale Italian cruiser for a present.
    My thoughts are with his family.
    Rest in peace.

That brings a tear to my eye.

I have so many of his designs. The ones I have built are beautiful, despite my fumbling around with poor skills and big thumbs.

The world is a poorer place without him.

Mike

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-22-2013, 07:53
  2. Zio Prudenzio Model Cards - My 2nd Project - Fokker DR1
    By OldGuy59 in forum Paper Card Models
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-22-2012, 02:01
  3. Zio Prudenzio Model Cards - My 1st Project
    By OldGuy59 in forum Paper Card Models
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09-03-2012, 02:17