Ares Games

Thread: Zio Prudenzio Model Cards - My 3rd Project - Sopwith Camel - 10 RNAS - MacGregor

Default Zio Prudenzio Model Cards - My 3rd Project - Sopwith Camel - 10 RNAS - MacGregor

Hey guys,
    This was started in August last year, along with Flt Lt H.L. Nelson's A Flt Camel, and was sidelined by business trips. Along the way, I started some other planes, too, thinking that I'd get them all done together when I got home around Christmas. Was I dreaming!

So, although I shelved the two Camels (Projects 3 and 4), and took an Albatros DV and a Fokker D VII with me on my trips, I never got around to working on the Central planes, other than some cutting of parts. Then I got home just before Christmas and social obligations cropped up, then more work got in the way. Oh, and then, silly me, I signed up for a WoW campaign!. And my minis are still not here!. So, I finished what was the closest to being done, and started working in earnest on the Albatros, as the D VII was too late a plane for the planes I already had.

Yeah, I used to be confused, now I just don't know.

The Third Project was an attempt to get the dihedral in the lower Camel wing, but still get the strength of the cardboard fillers. However, the Camel has slots in the top wing, so I couldn't use the cardboard all the way across. I went for the "Over-engineered" option, and tried brass rod spars. The rest of the build is pretty much the same as the 1st Project, so I'm only putting in pictures of the brass rod spars (My-1st-Project):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BrassWingSpars1_CropComp.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	143.7 KB 
ID:	75653
    The cut pieces of wing, cardboard and two sizes of brass rod (.032 inch or .81mm for the Leading edge, and .020 inch or .51mm for the Trailing edge). The cardboard was cut so that the rods could be glued in between the outer layers of the cardboard, and would gain some strength and stability from being held in place. The Trailing edge brass rod was as thin as I wanted to use for strength, but not cause the wing to bulge (ruining the chord) toward the trailing edge. It ended up with a bit of a bulge, but I formed the wing on its back, so the bulge is on the underside, and not visible from the top.

Name:	BrassWingSpars2_CropComp.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	136.7 KB 
ID:	75654
    A bit of a close-up of the work. I had to glue the Leadging edge rod just into the cardboard, in order for either of the rods not block the view through the slots of the completed wing. It works, just. If you zoom in on the below picture, you might be able to see the leading edge brass rod (Brown felt marker did obscure it some.

Name:	BrassWingSpars4_CropComp.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	112.6 KB 
ID:	75678

And in the below, you can clearly see the trailing edge brass rod. This isn't visible directly above, but at this angle, it is.

Name:	BrassWingSpars3_CropComp.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	110.8 KB 
ID:	75677

However, after all that work, I didn't cut the outer struts short enough, and the dihedral is not correct. It is better than the first, but not where it should be [and I adjusted it again, before this picture].

Name:	3rdProjCamel_B20130210-Dihedral_Comp.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	141.8 KB 
ID:	75676

I will have another shot at it though. Later, with Nelson's Camel...

And a shot of the two boys together:

Name:	3rdProjCamel_B20130201-Complete2Comp.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	75650

So, you've already seen these guys on the table in my first practice round (1st-Solo-Trying-out-the-Rules). I am trying to get the Albatros done before the Campaign starts. I'll post the work to date.

Mike
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 02-10-2013 at 22:55. Reason: New Pictures

Looks very good Mike. If I ever get around to trying my hand at the paper models I'd already considered a similar method to strengthen the wings w/ a plastic coffee stirrer.

Very nice. I'm going to have to try paper models.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Michael
    Sorties Flown

Those wings seem really tough. Nice build.

A very neat and well built set of aircraft Mike. Together with your part completed Albatros it is worth Kudos.

Rob.

Default Comparison to a Mini

Well,
    I finally have minis for comparison to my card models. I'm actually happy about my efforts. Not too shabby, actually.

Name:	TheComparison2.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	76005

Mike

Vey nice job! I can attest to how difficult the camels can be. Between the dihedral on the lower wing and the eight (!) seperate struts that hook everything together itcan be a painstaking nightmare. Your finished model looks superb.

Great job Mike.

Similar Missions

1. Zio Prudenzio Model Cards - My 2nd Project - Fokker DR1
    By OldGuy59 in forum Paper Card Models
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-22-2012, 02:01
  2. Zio Prudenzio Model Cards - My 1st Project
    By OldGuy59 in forum Paper Card Models
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09-03-2012, 02:17
  3. Zio prudenzio model cards
    By pstapleton53 in forum Paper Card Models