Ares Games

Thread: Scenario #7 Balloon Busting Mission

Default Scenario #7 Balloon Busting Mission

I know, you're thinking, not another Balloon Busting mission, right?

Yet this one is based on the original Richthofen's War board game...the others?

Cheers,

Andy

PS two more to go!
    Attached Files

Our Gaming group played this scenario and these are our lessons learned:

Lessons Learned:
    1. We used two Drachens, but with a small group, two airplanes per side, use only one balloon.
    2. Lowering of the Balloons:
    a. Although the Hun commander was rolling dice pretty good to lower his balloons, the balloons should not allowed to begin lowering until they enemy has crossed half the distance from the starting point (far edge of the map) to where the balloons are.
    b. Or, the balloons can’t begin to lower until they receive their first damage card.
    3. Although the scenario called for 4 x AA guns, we used 3 and they were too many for the amount on planes flown by the opposition. So scale back the AA guns to either 1 or 2.

Also see our AAR posted here:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...044#post222044

Frankly, I don't see why the attacker can't strafe the balloon on the ground -- it's still full of holes, and possibly on fire, so it's of no use to the defender later on.

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Frankly, I don't see why the attacker can't strafe the balloon on the ground -- it's still full of holes, and possibly on fire, so it's of no use to the defender later on.
    I totally agree Chris.
    I can't imagine that some of the balloon busting Aces did not consider going after the ground crew as well. Hit the hydrogen plant and it keeps the balloon down for days at a time.
    It's just that they never seemed to mention this. I think I have only ever come across one account of an airman going after a downed balloon.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jonathan
    Sorties Flown

Historically (and, perhaps hysterically), ground fire would be a bit much. I am sure that the game's representation of such is not entirely accurate and rather then rationalize the effects as the balloon gets closer to the ground, they just decided to not make that an option. Again, this is a game not a simulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Hit the hydrogen plant and it keeps the balloon down for days at a time.
    Bingo. A balloon with no lift is of no use to anyone.

Agree, even if the balloon is on the ground, I'd put holes in it as well - means it can't be used against me later.

However, Victory Conditions for this sceanrio was: Attacking force(s): destroy observation balloon(s) before it reaches the ground. Defending force(s): avoid attacking force(s) victory condition. If two balloons are used and one survives, then the game is a draw.

Cheers

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jonathan
    Sorties Flown

I found this tidbit about one of Billy Bishop's citations:
    Quote:
    Military Cross (MC)

"For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. He attacked a hostile balloon on the ground, dispersed the crew and destroyed the balloon, and also drove down a hostile machine which attacked him. He has on several other occasions brought down hostile machines." MC citation, London Gazette, May 26, 1917
    Unquote.

So, yes, it was done on at least this occasion. But a game needs parameters and a reasonable chance for each player to win.

Jonathan - whatever you do - don't get gully-raker started on Bishop... haha

Andy - thanks for the notes based on your testing. How many turns ended up being played before the balloons hit the ground?

I am just curious if a pre-set amount (i.e. each balloon having 2 or three climb counters) with one removed each turn may provide a more stable platform for the mission.

Michael
    Last edited by celticgriffon; 07-10-2013 at 14:14.

I have found that the official rules of one peg every two moves seems to work fine.
    Rob.

Rob - I think the rules as proposed in the RAP are really elegant also.

This being said, the success of a balloon busting mission depends on the size of table and also the number of planes for or against (i.e. amount of time and amount of defense).

Quote Originally Posted by celticgriffon View Post
    Andy - thanks for the notes based on your testing. How many turns ended up being played before the balloons hit the ground?

I am just curious if a pre-set amount (i.e. each balloon having 2 or three climb counters) with one removed each turn may provide a more stable platform for the mission.

Michael
    We played for 2 hours before the rockets sent the Drachen down in flames!

Similar Missions

1. Vote Here in Mission Five Scenario's AAR - Balloon Challenge
    By Blackronin in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-11-2012, 23:48
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-06-2011, 15:35
  3. Balloon Busting - Knights of the Air Mission 3b
    By costampede in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-06-2011, 08:43
  4. Balloon Busting: Knights of the Air mission 3b.
    By Oberst Hajj in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-22-2011, 09:00