Ares Games

Thread: Albatros DV test build finger training

Users Country Flag

Name
    Michael
    Sorties Flown

Default Albatros DV test build finger training

I had to do one. I really like what has been shown in this section.
    You incite me to check if I can do one too.
    It is made from recycling paper printed black&white, looks a bit like black pearl from the pirates.
    the big parts first

it's getting smaller

after the tricky parts

turn

turn

turn around

parts of me

Building was partly tricky, I think it will be not the last paper eagle, next one will be color lasered.
    -Michael

Michael, very nice! I love the burnished effect, was that printed or added? Was this an original or a download? How did you do the struts? So many questions - the paper world is very addictive!

Enjoy the madness! Clipper

Like Dave, I was very impressed by this model. You have excelled in getting rid of that printed look that so many of the paper models retain even when built by experts.
    Well done Mike.
    Rob.

Where do you get theses paper models from? I've now seen quite a few on the site and they do look fantastic when made up. Excellent job on this one, If you hadn't said it was a paper model I would swear it was a repaint job of a plastic or metal.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Michael
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    So many questions - the paper world is very addictive!
    Enjoy the madness! Clipper
    Well let me try ... The effect was a result of poor paper and printing quality and pressure applied to make it as round as possible and touching it again and again without protective varnish. I saw those nice paper eagles here at the hobby room and wanted to have a look at those tiny parts in reality. We have no printer. So I asked my wife to print it at work just the right size, the only specification I set. After seeing the result there was a laugher, but it took my attention, so I started to build ...
    After I made the fuselage I quickly found out that I need some spezialized tools.

In german a tool called Falzbein (folding leg) were made from hard wood (one side pencil like one side with ball shaped end) to apply pressure and moves to let the paper became round without hard foldings. Several screwdriver shaped steel pins, spring steel, needle and nail parts.

Typical Clipper, heading straight to the most tricky parts. Cut those parts as accurate as possible, fraktions of millimeters will have different results. It's starting while cutting the paper. The paper has to be cutted at an angle that the printed side is the biggest side, the white side should be a bit narrowed. Then try to make a tube just at one point and be sure it fits perfect to it's opposite side and clue with a tiny tiny bit of cyanacrylate (zap) then again do these steps again and again till those giantic tubes will develop

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Where do you get theses paper models from? I've now seen quite a few on the site and they do look fantastic when made up. Excellent job on this one, If you hadn't said it was a paper model I would swear it was a repaint job of a plastic or metal.
    Thanks for the flowers. These paper models are made by a real genius Fabrizio Prudenziati, they can downloaded at his webpage .zioprudenzio.it
    Thank you for your interest,
    -Michael

Wow! Very impressive! I like the look of the recycled paper.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMike View Post
    I had to do one. I really like what has been shown in this section.
    You incite me to check if I can do one too.
    It is made from recycling paper printed black&white, looks a bit like black pearl from the pirates.
    the big parts first
    Or maybe the Flying Deutschman.

I love the weathered look!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Michael
    Sorties Flown

Hello All,
    I'll like to show the next step

-Michael

^^^ Oooh, nice! I thought you were leaving it in the all black. I like this!

Michael that's a fantastic looking plane well done

Hi Mad Mike,

the thing is, what is the exact method did you use to get the body so accurate? Did you use thin card or paper? Lovely job. Is it really hollow?
    Alter, wie hast Du den Körpus so perfekt hingekriegt? Eine genauer Hinweis bitte. Hast Du papier oder Pappe benutzt? Wirklich atemberaubend!! Ist es wirklich hohl? (!!!Perfekt!!!)

Users Country Flag

Name
    Michael
    Sorties Flown

Thank you for your nice comments, makes me glad
    Quote Originally Posted by Blauer Baron View Post
    Hi Mad Mike,

the thing is, what is the exact method did you use to get the body so accurate? Did you use thin card or paper? Lovely job. Is it really hollow?
    Alter, wie hast Du den Körpus so perfekt hingekriegt? Eine genauer Hinweis bitte. Hast Du papier oder Pappe benutzt? Wirklich atemberaubend!! Ist es wirklich hohl? (!!!Perfekt!!!)
    Ei hab' ich doch oben schon geschrieben, einfachstes recycling Druckerpapier.
    Yes it is mostly hollow, fuselage, wings, rudder, wheels, struts all hollow. Fuselage front first former had been added to mount prop turnable and I poured a bit CA-glue in fuselage that it floats to the rear end the rest is hollow.
    Some parts are rolled like self rolled cigarettes some parts are pressed with the folding leg some parts are folded with sharp edge.
    Last edited by MadMike; 02-12-2013 at 12:17.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Michael
    Sorties Flown

I think it's done now, not conventional paper modeling, but made out of paper.

Varnished to my taste, hard parts (wood, metal) semi gloss, soft parts (canvas) satin matt.

Pilot Reviresco

No decals just paint

Did I already said that I really love Albatros'
    -Michael
    Last edited by MadMike; 03-04-2013 at 17:25.

That is all kinds of awesome. I can't believe it is made out of paper!

This looks absolutely fantastic!

Gorgeous job! What did you use for the rigging wire?

There are not enough superlatives to say what a great job you did. Very impressive.

Great job Mike - you should put this in the showcase with a link to this thread perhaps ?

As other have said in this thread, an excellent peice of modeling which I like

Users Country Flag

Name
    Michael
    Sorties Flown

Thank you everyone !
    Quote Originally Posted by pstapleton53 View Post
    Gorgeous job! What did you use for the rigging wire?
    It's made from a beard , a carnival costume beard
    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Great job Mike - you should put this in the showcase with a link to this thread perhaps ?
    Good one, I've done that.
    -Michael
    Last edited by MadMike; 03-05-2013 at 11:55.

I am late to this thread, but an excellent job on that Albatros, I'm slowly working my way to the DV...doing a DII now, then a DIII down the road, your fuselage and spinner turned out quite nice and smooth, and I can not even see where your fuselage sections joined at, very nice indeed.

Doug

Excellent job with this Albatros. One would never say it is paper, if we weren't allowed to see the process. Excellent.

Similar Missions

1. Albatros D.I , D.II, D.III one week build.
    By calfaber in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-05-2012, 09:16
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-04-2011, 13:45
  3. Voisin 5 Scratch build (The Finger is good)
    By Linz in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-17-2011, 20:14