Ares Games

Thread: about 1/144 Scale Heavy Bomber Stands

Default about 1/144 Scale Heavy Bomber Stands

Those stands are really beautiful..then what plane card do you use to lay with such stands ?
    the stand is very long , and bomber speed lower than fighters one.

then how do you use cards with these stands ?

thanks

Het, if you are talking about my Aerodrome Accessory stands, each stand has a "maneuver deck" assigned to it. This is shown as Bc in the case of the B-24. This means you use the slow straights and 60 degree turns from the DoW C deck. You line up the card the same as you would a normal fighter, but you move the triangle at the front of the stand over the arrow head of the card. Does that make sense? If not I'll try and get a video of how it's done up in the next day or so.

hello

yes but partly clear to me.
    a video or some pictures would be clear.

my question is about bomber speed : if you place maneuver cart as usual (in front of Plexiglas card), movement is very long compared to fighters ?

ps : what about your bomber scenario ? still need special cards ?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

Thats good news that we get a maneuver deck with the stand.....good thinking Col

Het,

The plane's stand is moved from the back of the card to the arrow... not from the front of the card to the back of the stand like normal... I'll do a video for it.

Max, sorry, but there is no maneuver deck with the stand... Nexus would have my head if I produced and sold those!!

ok , so movement stay low !
    and you use the slow maneuvers cards from deck C...cool
    sounds great !
    is this the reason why you prefer vertical to horizontal one as wwI bombers ?

Yes, movement stays slow... we have play tested Bf 109s against the B-24 using this movement system and it works really well. The turns are still a little tight for bombers, but the forward movement is good during the turn.

I went with a longer base (vertical) instead of a wider (horizontal) one like used for WWI bombers (based on what we have seen by the bomber card artwork so far) because there is no need to show the wings on the flight stand. Just like some of the fighters, the wings of the miniatures hang over the stand. These bases are made using an actual 1/144 scale bomber model... so that as long as you mount the center post on the plane correctly, the gun locations on the stand will lineup with the actual guns on the miniatures.

yes longer base fits well with guns locations !!!

I just have to change my bomber card to fit with this Plexiglas design

I remember playing M&Ms against bomber boxes, and while a flight of b-17s might be a bit much, your stand made me think about a run with a couple of fighters against a lone B-17; kind of like a snap shot of a larger battle. The B-17 flies in a straight line towards a bombing target at the other end of the table; target destroyed, fighters lose; down the bomber on the way home, and perhaps get partial credit towards a larger campaign...

I found a decently priced B-17 in 1/144 scale -- has anyone run this scenario? Besides the movement of the bomber, eloquently explained by the Col., are there any other "rules" people are using?

Damn, haven't even bought a complete series of WW1 or WW2 yet and already looking at one-offs!

Cheers,
    KW

My local group ran basically that same mission with 3 B-24s against first 6, then 7 Bf 109s. It was a fun game, but the bombers did not stand a chance.

My group played a single B-24 vs 5 German fighters (a mix) as a teaching game, for a different set of rules. That lone straggler shot down ALL of the Hun fighters and only took minor damage. The next game had 3 B-24's and 6 B-17's, only 2 B-17's survived while downing 2 German fighters. You never know what's going to happen.

Henry

Thumbs up about 1/144 Scale Heavy Bomber Stands

I ordered three B-17 basses. I have a friend who cannot wait to try them out,
    combined with my three B-24`s it should an interesting game!

Rich

Similar Missions

1. 1/144 scale role call
    By Oberst Hajj in forum 1/144 Scale Dawn of War
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 09-08-2012, 19:29
  2. Scratch builds, same scale as the cards. (pic heavy)
    By DentedHead in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 07-06-2010, 12:32
  3. For those who enjoy their DoW in 1/144 scale
    By Roger Wilco in forum 1/144 Scale Dawn of War
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 06-16-2010, 07:33
  4. If only in 144 scale!
    By richard m schwab in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-14-2010, 18:30
  5. Litco stands