Ares Games

Thread: RAP and gun jams.

Default RAP and gun jams.

This may have been mentioned before and if so I apologize.

I was reading through the RAP and decided to read it instead of just skimming it. And I ran across this:

"If the damage card with the jammed symbol is drawn, the firing plane has jammed ONE of it's guns." Caps are mine.

So, if I understand this, a single seater with A guns would still be able to fire as if it were a B gun. So a jam in the middle of a furball only decreases the power of a twin gunned machine and doesn't take it out of the fight if the pilot wants to stay.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by phililphall View Post
    This may have been mentioned before and if so I apologize.

I was reading through the RAP and decided to read it instead of just skimming it. And I ran across this:

"If the damage card with the jammed symbol is drawn, the firing plane has jammed ONE of it's guns." Caps are mine.

So, if I understand this, a single seater with A guns would still be able to fire as if it were a B gun. So a jam in the middle of a furball only decreases the power of a twin gunned machine and doesn't take it out of the fight if the pilot wants to stay.
    I had not taken that in as in the context of an "A" firing plane but as in a 2 seater where the firing gun is Jammed but not the other one. Some possability for a SE 5a with 2 separate guns mounted in different positions.

What are your thoughts folks?

I don't have a copy of the RAP rules yet, so I can't check, but could this be an advanced or optional rule? It does make for a more realistic simulation and I would expect that the pilot would have to choose between firing and clearing the jam. If you choose to fire on a phase, you wouldn't be working on clearing the jam, so you wouldn't lose a jam counter.

I took it in the "Two Seater" way as well. However, Andrea has mentioned in the past that jams could be handle this way for A firing planes. I'll see if I can get him to chime in on it.

Well, the effect of the jamming oin the rule is anyway that the plane can not fire. So "on of its guns" is not so relevant. The gun/guns that fired are out of service. One "gun position", to be clear in case of two-seaters or multi-engine planes with several weapons.
    There was an old house rule with which you could jam just one of the two twin guns of an A firing fighter. Here it is:
    http://boardgamegeek.com/article/39805#39805
    But this edited rule did not refer to this one.

Phil take a look here in the House Rules section where some ideas on using Jam tokens were discussed; here also it came up again ! May help you decide on a way to use them

Similar Missions

1. Gun Jams and Two Damage Cards
    By hatfieldsinal in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-27-2012, 02:26
  2. Rudder Jams Clarification - FA/WYB Rules vs. BD
    By Dwarflord22 in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 10-16-2012, 11:53
  3. Gun Jams as applied to SE5a's.
    By gully_raker in forum Polls
    Replies: 16