Ares Games

Thread: Pilots biographies - Hit and Run set

Default Pilots biographies - Hit and Run set

Hello again.

I have done the Hit and Run set, minus quite a few pilots. Can't find much about them besides a few profiles (Lieutenant Howard De Havilland, Sergent-chef Hodiera, Podpraporshik M. I. Zembelevich, Nadporučík Josef Pospísil, Lochias Christoforos Stavropoulos, Hauptman Karl Sabeditsch, Zugsfuhrer Franz Körty-Lalitz, Korporal Adolf Vizinger, Korporal Milan Soviansky, Flieger Feldwebel Karl Turek, Feldpilot Korporal Josef Kunze, and Janko Colnar). If you happen to have a nice biography for any of these guys, please share it with me.

In passing, I am looking for a nice portrait of Captain Robert Soubiran. If you have one, could you send me a copy? Thanks. And also a better shot of Cochran-Patrick would be nice too !

Oh, and don't forget to highlight errors, mistakes, typos and such.

BTW, if you want to get the PDF file (the quality of the pictures is much better), you might want to go to Boardgamegeek. It seems to take foverever to get files uploaded approved on the Wings of war forum.

Cheers

Name:  alberto portela.jpg
Views: 3609
Size:  383.0 KB

Name:  armand de turenne.jpg
Views: 3497
Size:  386.6 KB

Name:  bela macourek.jpg
Views: 3656
Size:  369.7 KB

Name:  charles ciselet.jpg
Views: 3840
Size:  377.8 KB

Name:  eduard von schleich b.jpg
Views: 4895
Size:  375.7 KB

Name:  ernesto cabruna.jpg
Views: 3564
Size:  377.8 KB

Name:  eugen bullard.jpg
Views: 3801
Size:  384.5 KB

Name:  francesco baracca.jpg
Views: 3581
Size:  380.6 KB

Name:  frank linke-crawford.jpg
Views: 3790
Size:  382.3 KB

Name:  friedrich hefty.jpg
Views: 3703
Size:  380.1 KB

Name:  georges guynemer.jpg
Views: 3675
Size:  376.3 KB

Name:  georges lachmann.jpg
Views: 3534
Size:  379.8 KB

Name:  mieczyslaw garsztka.jpg
Views: 3500
Size:  377.9 KB

Name:  robert soubiran.jpg
Views: 3828
Size:  393.3 KB

Name:  rudolf windisch.jpg
Views: 3819
Size:  379.6 KB

Name:  vilem stanovsky.jpg
Views: 3330
Size:  388.0 KB

Name:  william cochran-patrick.jpg
Views: 3428
Size:  381.2 KB
    Last edited by christophe fran; 01-15-2013 at 04:08.

Just wondering if the Lt Howard De Havilland might actually be Lt Hereward de Havilland the younger brother of Geoffery De Haviland the aircraft designer?
    Rob.

Again Nice job!!!!That SPAD of Rudolf Windisch would be good on a mini.

Nick

Another great set will go to board game geek and dwnload as with the previous ones .

Nice job.

Just a note concerning Vilém Stanovský - the Czech Republic did not exist before 1st January 1993.

On 28th October 1918 the Czechoslovak Republic (or Czechoslovakia) gained independence on the Austro-Hungarian Empire, under which it definitely had not been a "republic". With the exception of the Protektorat Böhmen und Mähren (1939-1945), the country was still called Czechoslovakia. On 1st January 1993 it was peacefully split into the Czech Republic and the Slovak Republic.

Vilém Stanovský should have the Austro-Hungarian Empire as his country of origin, even if he then fought for France (or rather for the idea of an independent Czech and later a Czechoslovak state). Similarly, Eugene Bullard has the United States as his country of origin, even if he then fought for France.

Nevertheless, still, a good job, I love these biographies, keep it up.

EDIT: Meh, last time I gave someone reputation points was to you for other biographies, I cannot give you any more now.

EDIT2: You have a typo there - the correct name is Frank Linke-Crawford.
    Last edited by Watchdog; 01-15-2013 at 12:12. Reason: typos

Please try to load up here board game geek is down for some time

Quote Originally Posted by johnandtricia View Post
    Please try to load up here board game geek is down for some time
    Do you know why?
    Karl

It was down for upgrades then bad things happened and it was down for a week they have since come back up

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Just wondering if the Lt Howard De Havilland might actually be Lt Hereward de Havilland the younger brother of Geoffery De Haviland the aircraft designer?
    Rob.
    He is listed as Lieutenant Howard De Havilland 30 Squadron Royal Flying Corps in the Hit and Run set, but you're right, there was a Lt. Hereward de Havilland, CO of 30 Squadron. I am going to check with Andrea on this. Thanks Rob!
    Last edited by christophe fran; 01-15-2013 at 16:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchdog View Post

Just a note concerning Vilém Stanovský - the Czech Republic did not exist before 1st January 1993.

On 28th October 1918 the Czechoslovak Republic (or Czechoslovakia) gained independence on the Austro-Hungarian Empire, under which it definitely had not been a "republic". With the exception of the Protektorat Böhmen und Mähren (1939-1945), the country was still called Czechoslovakia. On 1st January 1993 it was peacefully split into the Czech Republic and the Slovak Republic.

Vilém Stanovský should have the Austro-Hungarian Empire as his country of origin, even if he then fought for France (or rather for the idea of an independent Czech and later a Czechoslovak state).
    Thanks Watchdog.

I have changed Czech Republic to Austro-Hungarian Empire but kept the French roundel.

As for the biography text, should I write instead:"Willém Stanovský, ... in the first Czechoslovakian unit deployed on the Western Front, the "Nazdar" company... In 1915, volunteers were sought to form the first independent Czechoslovakian escadrille ... In the interwar period, he served in various command positions in the Czechoslovak Air Force."

What do you think?

By the way, if what I read about him is true, this guy's life was absolutely fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchdog View Post
    You have a typo there - the correct name is Frank Linke-Crawford.
    Changed that too! Thanks

Cant find this set on Boardgame geek looked yesterday and again today is there a link to it ?

Quote Originally Posted by itchy View Post
    Cant find this set on Boardgame geek looked yesterday and again today is there a link to it ?
    I usually post the PDF file once typos and such have been corrected. I hate mistakes
    Besides, Rob got me started on this De Havilland guy, and I won't sleep before I finish his biography. Will let you know when I finally post the PDF on the Geek.

great stuff I'm too eager

Again excellent job and great information. I have read about E. Bullard and it is a great story. Thanks for all the info in your post.

Oh I forgot to say that there are a number of repaints for ARES to pursure.

I love this stuff!

How I wish they would make cards & info like this standard in their releases. Would really up the value & "gotta collect them all" aspect for a lot of people (inlcuding me!).

Excellent work.

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Again excellent job and great information. I have read about E. Bullard and it is a great story. Thanks for all the info in your post.
    Yes, the Bullard story is also a very controversial one. I remember reading some very borderline comments on him in the Aerodrome forum. From what I gathered, the man was quite a character, did have a big mouth and being a boxer, must have had a strong inclination for fighting. A couple of biographies were written about him and one in particular seems to have done him a great disservice in our community. They were in it too many exaggerated stories. As far as i am concerned, the man still deserves respect because he did volunteer for the Foreign legion, he did get mentioned twice in dispatches and he did get the Croix de guerre, facts that are easily checked in official Aéronautique Française documents. And not forgetting that he did fly in one of those crazy contraptions. Given the high rate of casualties due to flying accidents at the time, that took guts .

Quote Originally Posted by greenalfonzo View Post
    I love this stuff!

How I wish they would make cards & info like this standard in their releases. Would really up the value & "gotta collect them all" aspect for a lot of people (inlcuding me!).

Excellent work.
    Well, I am making them for you, free of charge

I have yet to do the Recon Patrol, Crossfire, Dogfight, and Top Fighters sets.

In the meantime, if there is any pilot you'd like to see added, just let me know.

Does anyone know whether the character of Eugene Skinner in the film 'Flyboys' loosly based on Eugene Bullard?

supposedly a lot of the characters were based on real life pilots

James Franco as Blaine Rawlings (Frank Luke)
    Martin Henderson as Reed Cassidy (Raoul Lufbery)
    Jean Reno as Capt. Thenault (Georges Thenault)
    Abdul Salis as Eugene Skinner (Eugene Bullard)
    Philip Winchester as William Jensen (several pilots)
    Tyler Labine as Briggs Lowry (Norman Prince)
    David Ellison as Eddie Beagle (Courtney Campbell and Bert Hall)
    Ian Rose as Franz Wolferd (Manfred von Richthofen / Red Baron)

In writing the original drafts that formed the basis of the final screenplay, Tony Bill made an effort to incorporate the real-life adventures of a number of American World War I expatriates who served in both the Lafayette Escadrille and the Lafayette Flying Corps, although pseudonyms were used throughout.

Quote Originally Posted by christophe fran View Post
    He is listed as Lieutenant Howard De Havilland 30 Squadron Royal Flying Corps in the Hit and Run set, but you're right, there was a Lt. Hereward de Havilland, CO of 30 Squadron. I am going to check with Andrea on this. Thanks Rob!
    It looks like the Howard de Havilland listed in the Hit and Run set was actually Hereward de Havilland. I've managed to dig enough info on him and here is the result:

Name:  hereward de havilland.jpg
Views: 2958
Size:  375.1 KB

Great work! Awesome reference for us gamers with a history jones.

Thanks for this, as it will help me produce my little business cards I put in my Paper Plane Boxes (hangars). The cards are so that people who ask can find out who's plane they are flying in a game (cause I'm an old guy, and as we all know... there was something, but I can't remember...).

Anyway, these are fantastic for my fleet of paper planes.

Mike

You're welcome. For the PDF file you must go to Boardgamegeek. I have uploaded it today but it'll take a few days before it's approved. All the other sets I have done are available there.
    Cheers.

You're welcome. For the PDF file you must go to Boardgamegeek. I have uploaded it today but it'll take a few days before it's approved. All the other sets I have done are available there.
    Cheers.

I'm glad my hunch paid off Chris and did not lead you off on a wild goose chase.
    Have you considered getting the Oberst to post the results of your work here in the files section?
    Rob.

Er, actually I have uploaded 3 PDF files quite a while ago but they are still not approved, it's weird. Is it because of the size? They are on average 6 MB.

Edit. Just checked, they are now in the file section . OK, I'll upload the Hit and Run set then.
    Last edited by christophe fran; 01-22-2013 at 00:08.

Could be just because the Herr Oberst is busy with other stuff.
    Drop him a P.M.
    Rob.

It's OK, the 4 files I posted are now uploaded. But I realise the Burning Drachens, Watch Your Back and Immelmann sets are in the Fan Artwork section, but the Famous Aces set in the Original Artwork section. Must have screwd up when I posted them.

By the way, I had forgotten. I've also done the Polish pilot Mieczyslaw Garsztka from the Hit and Run set.
    For our Polish friends out there:

Name:  mieczyslaw garsztka.jpg
Views: 2610
Size:  377.9 KB

great stuff and the Garsztka one is another amazing story ,thanks again

Excellant. Look at al the repints ARES could do with the planes they have.

Quote Originally Posted by itchy View Post
    The file i uploaded on BGG is missing Garsztka and de Havilland. I will upload version 2 soon. Sorry about that.

I see its on here now as wel so I downloaded that one thanks again Christophe

Hello again.

I have done the Hit and Run set, minus quite a few pilots. Can't find much about them besides a few profiles (... Podpraporshik M. I. Zembelevich, ...). If you happen to have a nice biography for any of these guys, please share it with me.
    Don't know if anything I found would be helpful, but here it is.
    Follow That Star- post
    Note: some of the links are to Russian sites, so, there may be a better source in that language?

Mike

As there was interest shown on another thread I've bumped this and note that Christophe posted the Famous Aces pilot Bios in the files section here
    and more Bios for Hit & Run Pilot set; Burning Drachen set; Watch Your Back & Immelmann Booster here in the files

"He is wise who watches"

The profiles are really nice! Great addition to the game!!

Quote Originally Posted by Max Von Below View Post
    The profiles are really nice! Great addition to the game!!
    Amen to that!

Agree. What a great piece of historical work!

Similar Missions

1. Watch Your Back mini-biographies
    By christophe fran in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-18-2023, 10:24
  2. Famous Aces biographies
    By christophe fran in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 01-05-2013, 18:34
  3. WW1 German Pilot Biographies
    By Dark Horse in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 9