Ares Games

Thread: Overwhelmed by Choices... a little help?

Default Overwhelmed by Choices... a little help?

So... I'm contemplating a Shapeways purchase, but the selection of materials and their comparative cost/quality/benefit parameters have made my head swim. I like the look of colinwe's and kampfflieger's work... but there's a question there too... any preferences?

Help, please... from those in the know.

Thanks!

Choose the planes that are not available in the official product line. I chose my beloved model -Brisfits and Shapeways made them perfectly. I am happy with my choice and their service.

Generally, most purchases have been WSF for the cost (these are gaming pieces after all). As for planes, buy what you want to paint and fly.
    Karl

I picked up the FE-8 in FUD and I'm a bit frightened by them. The material is a bit brittle.

One thing to take into account is what are you wanting to do ?
    If just game pieces then SWF is good enough but needs prep work, it is also susceptible to the knitting you will have seen complaints about.
    Now this is not always present it does seem to be a bit hit or miss depending on printing orientation which you have no control over.
    Next is FUD this is more detailed I believe and needs less prep , if any, with no knitting, but is more expensive.

Main difference between Colinwe and Kampffleiger is the Colinwe models tend to come with a peg already moulded onto the model ready for attaching to a flying base, this is the same as the official models. with Kampffleigers you have to either add a peg or some other way of attaching to a flying base.
    Ihave models from both these designers and am happy with both their designs and models.

Hope this is of use,ask away if you got any other questions

Users Country Flag

Name
    Willie
    Sorties Flown

Christopher,

I'm also fairly new to this (Shapeways) although I've collected, built and gamed WWI planes for the last 35 years.
    The choice is indeed overwhelming so perhaps an idea is to start with a theme. Myself I'm concentrating on the earliest period now with most planes from the 1915 period and even a few 1914 ones. Building up both sides (French, British and Belgian for the Allies) and obviously German planes as well. That way you're never stuck for an opponent. I'll start with 3-6 planes for each of the 'squadrons' I'll eventually want to build.

Of course that's my thing but you could something similar with a different- or the same period- or concentrating on the Eastern or Italian Front. Mesopotamia didn't see really much aerial activity and in Africa is almost non- existant.

I agree with Boney 10 comments, nicely stated.

Buy stuff you have or can get manoeuvre cards for !!

100% agree on this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Buy stuff you have or can get manoeuvre cards for !!

Remember we have some manoeuvre decks in the files so getting any deck , except the S, isn't a problem if you have a printer

Wow, what a quandary! I started thinking how hard it would be to start at this point, there are so many models! I started with the first models over a year or two ago as they came out, and just bought 3-5 of each model done in WWI. Now I am afraid to count them! So far I have 6 crates full of finished Shapeway models around 400+ by now - all from 6 different designers. None have been disappointing-other than having built them from scratch one day and having them printed by Shapeways the next! Have fun! Get the ones you want or make up a squadron of faves, that's the fun of it all . . . there are some awesome characters here on the site who will get you carded and any info you need for the prepping and painting processes, all in good fun!

Certified "Still crazy after all these years" (and enjoying it) . . . Clipper

Hey, Clipper, nice carrying cases. I like the layered look you've got going there. I'm going to have to try that out myself since storage space is a premium. Who are the 6 designers you buy from on Shapeways? Kampflieger, Colinwe, jbmacek and???

The tubs were detailed in a thread called "tubs of war" I think. I also have decapod's and KSND did the Gothas . . . reduced aircraft factory is still another, some are WWII as I now remember . . . too much fun to remember it all!