Ares Games

Thread: How do you paint your planes

Default How do you paint your planes

I have been painting miniatures for the majority of my life so used to hand work. Now I am curious if anyone uses an air brush for painting planes or all by hand?

You will find people that use both here on the site. I use both on each mini. The airbrush to lay down the base colors and brush work for the fine details.

All hand work, although we do have a very nice airbrush that my son used for his Art degree course, I could never get the hang of it.
    Rob.

I'm use in some planes airbrush and in others I paint all by hand.

I've always painted by hand. My wife gave me an airbrush for Father's Day or Xmas two years ago, and I have not yet mustered the courage to use it.
    Maybe I'll make that a New Year's resolution for 2013.

For laying down the base color(s), and airbrush is very easy to use. The hardest part is getting the paint the right consistency. You want it about as thick as 1% milk. Then just practice praying onto a cardboard box. You will quickly get the hang of how close/far to hold the thing away from your surface as well as how long you can stay in one spot before the paint starts to poodle.

I always airbrush over a sheet of cardboard. This allows me to start the flow of paint off my model and then I move the airbrush over to my model. This gives me a little double check that the paint is flowing correctly before it gets to my model and I don't get that slight extra build up of paint at the point I start the paint flowing (you will figure this out practicing, trust me). I always move the airbrush off of my model before stopping the flow of paint as well.

Of basic base color painting, anyone can have it down in a couple of hours.

In fact, little models, like WGF/WGS ones can be painted with brush as well with a satisfying (distant eye) effect, I would never return to brush while painting bigger models (1/72 like). The final thin paint layer made by airbrushing can not be matched with a brush.

I've never used an airbrush, I only use a brush which seems OK to me but maybe my eyesight isn't so good now

On this scale, I hand brush all my miniatures. I haven't had an air brush since the 1970's. The the only spray-painting I do is the primer and the clear coats from a can.

John, like you I have painted D&D miniatures for years. I just started to paint the planes this year, as many of the pilots here have inspired me to do so (thanks everyone for the new hobby)!!! So, I hand paint the planes as that is what I am comfortable with!!!

I'm primarily a hand painter, but if I were to do more WWII stuff I'd thing about airbrushing a little more.

Simply put Both. It depends on the scheme though.
    -Von

I only ever use a brush for my models , I did buy an air brush years ago but never mastered using it so it's gathering dust at the moment waiting for me to return to try once more to use it.

I do all my models with a brush...

I too have an airbrush that has not been used for several years. I do use spray cans for primer. Some base colors are also "canned" as it were, but 95% or more of my painting is with the good old brush.

Brush and spray paint, I have used an airbrush on bigger models.

Never tried or owned an airbrush, always a paintbrush for me

I have an airbrush never used in 3 years. Have allways brushed . But I am going to start using the airbrush because I like the finished look.

When you paint your planes do you use Testors enamel on you shapways models?

i to paint minis i prefer to paint with a brush i refuse to use testors paints.i instead use arts and crafts paints the kind you would use on a canvas it really does the job

I have been using the Citadel, and Foundry Acrylics for years, but have just decided to give the Humbrol Acrylics a trial, as my local Hobbycraft Store has just started stocking them, and I like their Enamels.
    The only Testors products I use are for applying Decals.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I paint all my planes by brush.

I DO own an airbrush and compressor, but have never had the courage to use it!

I now use Testors Dull Cote, on the WingCo's recommendation, but I have heard that Enamels don't always dry properly on the WS material of Shapeways; anyway, I only use Acrylics, the Vallejo "Model Colour" and "Game Colour" ranges.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I prime my Shapeways models with grey or white figure primer first (straight from a spray can), and then, like Tim, I use Vallejo acrylics and brush-paint the model. For repaints of Ares/Nexus models, I've had no trouble simply painting over the existing scheme on the model (i.e. I don't prime them). Once everything is finished, I give the model a spray with Testor's Dullcote to finish it off.

All the best,
    Matt
    Last edited by matt56; 07-11-2015 at 03:31. Reason: spelling error

For paints, I use humbrol, Games Workshop, Revell and recently Vallegio acrylic paints, not used enamels for years.
    The thing with Shapeways is they need sealing first then undercoating to give a good surface.

I have an airbrush but have not mastered it yet so I only put the brush to my planes. One of these days I'll practice with the AB so I can use it with confidence.

Similar Missions

1. WGF [Sale] WOW WWI and WWII planes, old gaming mat
    By hawk02 in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-17-2014, 03:37
  2. B-25 paint job
    By BobP in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-17-2012, 14:15
  3. WGF Hardest Builds & paint - Easyest Build & paint.
    By Fabric Flyer in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-04-2012, 00:07
  4. DH 4 Re-paint
    By clipper1801 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 04-14-2012, 15:42
  5. Paint your own?
    By lancer77 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-21-2011, 14:58