Ares Games

Thread: I'm coming over!

Default I'm coming over!

As the song says...
    Send the word, send the word to beware -
    We'll be over, we're coming over,
    And we won't come back till it's over, over there.

Ok, so it's not the Yanks coming over - just one Canadian. I'll be in Canberra from January 7th to March 20th visiting my folks. I hope to get a chance to drop by the Canberra Games Society, and I plan to drop in for the WGF participation game at CanCon. Maybe I'll be able to convince my Dad and my 10 year old Nephew to join me.

Cheers,
    Jon

What a great time to pick for a visit Jon. I do hope you have a great time. Just wait till Gully Raker sees this post.
    Rob.

Thumbs up

Way to go Jon!
    I hope to be at Cancon all 3 days so if you make it you can fly Flt Sub Ltn Charles "Chuck" Waggon's Hearts of Oak Camel seeing he is a Canadian.
    might be we can catch up for a drink one evening with Halvo & Zoe!

Sounds like a plan... or at least the beginning of one.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by steel_ratt View Post
    Sounds like a plan... or at least the beginning of one.
    As Baldrick is want to say "A Cunning plan,my lord!"

Mate I will send you a PM with my mobile phone number closer to the date. Do you know when you are leaving?

Looking forward to seeing you. You MUST visit the Australian War Memorial, to see a Pfalz XII and Sakai's A6M2...

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    Looking forward to seeing you. You MUST visit the Australian War Memorial, to see a Pfalz XII and Sakai's A6M2...
    Pictures, you must post Many pictures.
    Karl

I'm here!! And, I must say, I'm enjoying the hot weather and my parents' swimming pool!
    Looking forward to CanCon in a few weeks. ...but maybe I'll have a chance to meet some folks before then.

Thumbs up

I'm here!! And, I must say, I'm enjoying the hot weather and my parents' swimming pool!
    Looking forward to CanCon in a few weeks. ...but maybe I'll have a chance to meet some folks before then.
    G'day Jon! Are you still on track to pay a visit to Cancon. Looks like we will be in Pavillion "B".

Cancon today!! Can't wait!

Feeling shattered... but 4 good games put in, mostly using Ares Series 1 exclusively. An FE2b made an appearance, as did a Roland and E.IV, otherwise it was DH2s vs Fokker E.IIIs.

Cancon today!! Can't wait!
    Great to meet you and your father today Jon. I hope you enjoyed proving the Brewster Buffalo can hold its own against JAAF Nates and Oscars.

The turnout for Cancon is massive this year, and we have had plenty of interest in WGS. People are saying 'Oh yeah I have heard of the WW2 game but I've never seen it played.'

I'll post some pics of the WGS table later tonight.

Well done you chaps - look forward to seeing your pics !

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Well done you chaps - look forward to seeing your pics !
    I echo my Squadron Leaders sentiments entirely. Well done to you all.
    Kyte.

Default Cancon 2013 photos

Here are some pictures I took at Day One Cancon. The WGS table ran hot today, with three games played.

The first two scenarios were set in Malaya 1941 pitting Brewster Buffalos against Nates and Oscars. The Buffalos came out on top shooting down two Nates and three Oscars for the loss of one aircraft. I kamikazied my badly damaged Nate into Jon aka Steel Rat's Buffalo - the result 8 points for me and none for Jon!

The third game was set in North Africa pitting three P-40's and solitary Hurricane against two Messerschmitt Bf 109Fs. Despite being outnumbered two to one the Friedrichs shot down one Kittyhawk and the Hurricance for the loss of one Bf 109F.

For many players it was their first experience of WGS but they quickly became confident with the system. I even had one player who had written his PhD on the Buffalo in Malaya - he was very keen to be involved!

After a day of pure dogfights tomorrow we are stepping it up a notch with bombing missions over Java, Port Moresby and Darwin NT.

Name:  Steel Rat.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  134.1 KB

Name:  Return fire.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  152.9 KB

Name:  Game 2 crew.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  175.1 KB

Name:  Game 3 6.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  216.8 KB

Name:  Game 3 crew.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  212.6 KB

Name:  Game 3 furball.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  183.7 KB

Name:  Head on pass.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  140.3 KB

Name:  Jon and Rob at Cancon.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  186.3 KB

Name:  Explosion draw!.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  191.4 KB

Name:  Buffalos vs Oscars.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  214.0 KB

Name:  Bf109F vs P-40.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  175.1 KB

Wish I could have been there, maybe next year!

And hear they are already, hot off the press. Not only did it give me a good idea of what you are all getting up to down under, but your display of the Australian flag has given me an idea of my own.
    Just one question! What do you keep in those multi coloured giant salt shakers at the end of the table?
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    Colour coded containers for damage chits Rob.
    Nice touch.
    Rob.

Exclamation

It was great to meet up with Jon (steel-Rat & his dad Rob!)
    Not only did they attend & play Wings of Glory every day but enjoyed WW1 as well as WW2. Here they are with their WW1 Aircraft.
    On Sunday night Zoe & son Andrew, Carl, Jon & Rob joined Halvo & his two sons Zryus & Reon & myself for a Huge "nosh up" at a Chinese Roast Restraunt. Fantastic food & large servings & lots of chat & stirring!

Name:  C Con the Canadian Connection.jpg
Size:  177.6 KB
    Last edited by gully_raker; 01-28-2013 at 13:18.

Default A TransPacific Visitor to the Canberra Games Society

Before Cancon, Steel Ratt & lllustrious Ancestor honoured us with their presence, in a game pitting their two Sopwith Triplanes vs my son and I's Albatros D.III's (Dice show altitude)

A Good Time was had by all! Congrats to Ratt pere on being "last man standing". Not bad for his first game!

The disreputable young scallywag on the left of the frame is my son, Andrew. 11 and growing like a weed....

Great to see even more of our World wide Brother and Sisterhood coming together for another event.
    Wonder where the first true World event will be held?

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    It was great to meet up with Jon (steel-Rat & his dad Rob!
    Not only did they attend & play Wings of Glory every day but enjoyed WW1 as well as WW2. Here they are with their WW1 Aircraft.
    On Sunday night Zoe, Carl, Jon & Rob joined Halvo & his two sons Zryus & Reon & myself for a Huge "nosh up" at a Chinese Roast Restraunt. Fantastic food & large servings & lots of chat & stirring!

Name:  C Con the Canadian Connection.jpg
Size:  177.6 KB
    Washed down with Portugese beer! It was great to meet Barry, Zoe, Jon, their families and new WGS players from all over Australia. I have a number of email addresses for people who wanted details of this forum, so I expect we may get a few more Australian members. I had product for prize support (hope you like your Spit Jon!) and also sold three starter sets, two to father and son teams.

Driving back home today to my currently flood-ravaged home state, I'll post more Cancon pics and stories tomorrow.

Cheers,

Carl.

Looks great, sorry I couldn't make it down this year.

Dave

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    Start preparing for WinterCon...
    With the way the Aussie weather has been going it will probably Snow on that weekend.

Well done Zoe, Barry and Carl. How about convention medals for them Heer Oberst?

Looks like a great homely show, lots of interest and some great looking games.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    ...I had product for prize support (hope you like your Spit Jon!)...
    The Spitfire has a position on my bedside table where it reminds me of a good weekend of gaming every time I see it. Thanks!!!
    It has me thinking about how I'll start my WGS collection!

I have written three blog entries on my trip down to Cancon, including my visit to Temora Aviation Museum.

Check them out here - http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/blog.php

Cheers,

Carl.

Similar Missions

1. They are coming!!!
    By marcoperse in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 11-18-2012, 16:04
  2. WSF The Nieuports 28 are coming!
    By clipper1801 in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-31-2012, 20:50