Ares Games

Thread: The Circus Comes To Town - A Little Solo Madness !

Default The Circus Comes To Town - A Little Solo Madness !

Well the car was in dock, I couldn't go anywhere, it was rubbish weather, I had the table up and it was empty, so I thought ‘How about a big solo AI clash’.
    This is something I've had in mind for a little while & discussion on the OTT sub-forum prompted me to further explore this option.
    I pulled out eleven Germans scouts & ten Allied types, selected the Dolphin as my personal kite controlled by me & flew the others using Richard Bradleys basic solo rules.
    About turn 3 my son came into the room and after a pause said ‘You’re mad’. Followed after a few minutes explanation by ‘Can I help out?’
    A few hours of madness later each side had lost a few, others were badly damaged and some hardly at all. I really enjoyed it but wouldn’t recommend it as it is quite hard work to manage & does take a long time to play – about 30minutes a turn, but that does get shorter as you thin the herd ! Playing collisions helped that process but if I hadn't done so the Germans would have won hands down.
    Here are a few pics to demonstrate the craziness:

The Allies: 3 camels, 2 SE5a, 2 Bristol F2B, 1 Spad, 1 N.17, 1 Dolphin (me)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2321.JPG 
Views:	337 
Size:	189.3 KB 
ID:	69191

The Germans: 4 Albatros D.Va, 1 Albatros D.III, 3 Pfalz D.III, 3 Fokker Dr1

Name:	IMG_2320.JPG 
Views:	336 
Size:	150.7 KB 
ID:	69192

Battle has been joined

Name:	IMG_2328.JPG 
Size:	180.1 KB 
ID:	69193

A close up of the action

Name:	IMG_2329.JPG 
Size:	137.4 KB 
ID:	69194

A Pfalz getting swatted off my tail !

Name:	IMG_2336.JPG 
Size:	144.0 KB 
ID:	69195

The 'Management Board'

Name:	IMG_2343.JPG 
Views:	335 
Size:	152.8 KB 
ID:	69196

Me getting chopped about halfway through the game!

Name:	IMG_2341.JPG 
Views:	337 
Size:	150.7 KB 
ID:	69197

And there are alot more pics in my Album for you to enjoy
    Last edited by flash; 12-17-2012 at 04:05.

That looks like some really hard work Dave! From your description it reminds me of some of the big dogfights in the Biggles stories - where one minute the sky is full of whirling, colliding machines and the next it is empty with lots of crashed kites and others running for home!

Yep the only thing missing from the Biggles set was the clouds.
    You have to do it once in a lifetime Dave.
    When I tried it I decided that once was enough, but it was great whilst it lasted.
    Rob.

Dave, you ARE mad, but your madness looks like a flight bag full of fun! Great pics!

Very unique AAR! Thank you for posting!!

Great pictures and nice planes! But in the picture of the German team has 3 Fokker DrI not 2.Thank you for the pictures.

Nick

Very nice pictures!!! I might be crazy for saying this, but I don't think your crazy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_ace View Post
    Great pictures and nice planes! But in the picture of the German team has 3 Fokker DrI not 2.Thank you for the pictures.
    Nick
    Good spot Nick, glad one of us was paying attention to the detail !!

It was hard work but strangely compelling to see how they would get on and I'm not sure I would have gone so far without my sons assistance.

Thank you!Who are the pilot of the blue Fokker DrI?I'm very curious about this.

Nick

That is the Dr1 of Eberhard Mohnicke of Jasta 11 which he temporarily commanded on 3 occasions in 1918 after the death of MvR. He had 9 victories; was WIA twice in 1918; died 14 Oct 1930 whilst test flying. I chose him as a repaint as of Rahns Triplane as we share birthdays of 12th Feb - check my album for the pics & a little history

Oh thanks for the informations Dave.

Nick

Thumbs up

Great stuff Flash!
    Just the thing to keep one busy over a few Winter days over in Blighty!

Nothing like an epic duel to separate mice from men

Great pics, and looks like you had your hands full there!!! Ambassador, with these pics, your really spoiling uz...Excellente!

Hayden we've got to do a mega dogfight sometime as it'll be a real challenge but also fun.

Why did not I see this Armageddon before?! Amazing!

Great AAR! But i can imagine it must have been hectic to run

I'd have to agree with Alex on this, wow

It was really hard work but if you organise the management side properly & can focus on what you're doing then that makes it easier - I was definitely flagging a bit towards the end & probably would have given up or run out of time without my sons help but ...
    it was worth it !

Users Country Flag

Name
    Michael
    Sorties Flown

The lunatic is on the grass
    I think your son is right But please keep your entertaining madness going. I really like it ...

Quote Originally Posted by MadMike View Post
    The lunatic is on the grass
    I think your son is right But please keep your entertaining madness going. I really like it ...
    It's O.K. Mike. I've sent him a box of the Dried Frog Pills.
    Kyte.

Just followed the link here, well that puts my little effort to shame. Great read, loved the pics. If I can shake this prolapse disc I might just try a bigun down at the club. Or just

Neil

Great AAR and brilliant albums thanks for sharing

Incredible! I would have thought that this was a group event, with at least 6 players! Amazing you pulled this off solo!

Nicely done!

I must get Jasta 2 into the air and try something similar. (Perhaps).

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    I must get Jasta 2 into the air and try something similar. (Perhaps).
    A word of advice Neil before you do. Make sure all your decks are marked to match your plain bases and plain cards. I have stuck micro stickers on all my sets. It took me hours to sort out all my sets after I played a big game, and it saves time on each move as well.
    Rob.

Hmm, I have more planes now....?!!

I would need to hire an accountant for all that bookkeeping. Great way to spend a rainy day.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Hmm, I have more planes now....?!!
    More planes, more carnage!
    I tip my hat to you sir, half hr per turn, jeebus it takes me that long with 6 planes, and a sherry or two.

What a fight! Madness for you perhaps but great reading for us! Thanks for submitting!

Hello Flash, great bash!! Looking at your card management, I was wondering where you put the three manoever cards for each plane - under the aeroplane card? Or did you use a paper based record keeping for which manoever cards and then just took them from the pack when needed.

Hi Kevin, I found it easier to keep the three cards with the aircraft, you'll see them in the pic before that of the management board, it saved on a lot of walking to and fro to the end of the table and meant I got the right card for the right planes !
    If you check the album things will become clearer.

More solo madness is soon to follow....

"He is wise who watches"

Similar Missions

1. WSF Muromets Mod Madness!
    By clipper1801 in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-04-2013, 09:03
  2. Blimp Madness!
    By clipper1801 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 08-07-2012, 13:54
  3. My Flying circus