Ares Games

Thread: AAR: Find the Flat Tops (Nightbomber's flight from Yorktown)

Default AAR: Find the Flat Tops (Nightbomber's flight from Yorktown)

From Jack "Blond" Connery's war diary:

"I took the young Steven German, a rookie Ensign, for an early morning run over the ocean. In fact he insisted on me to fly as my wingman. He seemed to seek a revenge. I took the red nosed plane as a flight leader.
    After taking off and some thirty minutes cruising I saw three strange dots ahead and below us, gaining hight. It must have been enemy fighters, for no other squadrons of ours were operating in this sector.
    The Zeroes!

We turned to face them. I ordered Steven to focus on one of the incoming planes and we fired.

I saw our fire was quite effective, theirs definitely not!

We passed each other and I shouted to mic: Immelmann now!

I gave them hell, but Steven couldn't place his rookie's salvo correctly.

Then, typical battle mess began.

For one moment I caught the Japanese fighter in my gun sight and bang! it's smoking!

Fired again! No mercy!

But while I took my second target, the swift green fighter took on Steven, and I saw this time his plane was badly holed...

Steven made an Immelmann and we almost collided!

I didn't realize that, but Steven the third Japanese plane bouncing on my tail and run to face the danger. Good boy, he saved my tail! Bur that was also a sacrifice. The enemy pilot was not a freshman. Steven took the beating...

I thought he could disengage, but - no! He made another Immelmann turn and was chasing the enemy!

His fire was deadly now and the enemy spiraled down to earth! First kill, brave man!

But now now he turned to get another victim!

Unfortunately the green painted ace placed his bullets perfectly. My wingman got shot down...
    I finished off the game that Steven was chasing.

Now that was an easy kill. I immelmanned and destroyed the Japanese third fighter. Not a one from them returned from the sortie.
    Total victory is ours, but Steven is missing in action...

The end credits:

Jack "Blond" Connery - 2 kills.

Steven German - 1 kill. MIA.

A very tense and fast game. Thanks for the scenario, Sven! I hope your alter ego survived the crash. Stay tuned!
    Last edited by Nightbomber; 12-10-2012 at 09:08.

WOW, Andrzej!

What a thrilling AAR!

Pictures and story are amazing! You corageously outmaneuvered the Jap patrol and destroyed three Zeroes. I hope the best for the Rookie. If he survives he has made it to a regular pilot with his first aerial victory.

Damn, I've got to buy some gimbal mounts for my planes.

Thanks Sven! Let me send you some gimbal sets as a late Santa gift.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbomber View Post
    The end credits:

And that right there tells you everything you need to know about how badly overpowered cannons are in WoG2.... :P

In fact that plane was under fire probably only two times during the engagement. First one it got only zero. The second one got a 5+pilot hit damage counter, but due to pilot's "veteran" ability (according to campaign rules), he was able to reject one hit counter - and I used that ability. You can see that 5+ counter on one of the pics covered with target marker as a proof.

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    And that right there tells you everything you need to know about how badly overpowered cannons are in WoG2.... :P
    Chris, Check the other (US-)AARs and you'll see that the Wildcats did a good job on the Zeroes.

Unlucky if you catch a half ruler salvo from a Zero, but this what you get from a cannon/machine gun combination on short distance.

Additionally, one of the Wildcats in this mission had a rookie ability: "pick up one additional damage counter and throw away the one with the highest result"
    Last edited by Marechallannes; 12-10-2012 at 22:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbomber View Post
    They found him! Repeat: they found him

Check my AAR for details!
    So what happened to Ensing S. German?

Crashed, hit the shallow waters and left the plane without a single bruise Catalina picked him up right after.

Very entertaining Andrzej.
    It does me good to see how the other half live from time to time.
    That was certainly livly whilst it lasted.
    Glad to hear you got your man back.
    I have one game of KoTA to play this Thursday, and then Stormkahn is going to give me a course in WWII games for the next few months, so that I can appreciate what you chaps are doing even more. I have my trusty Swordfish waiting on deck.
    Rob.

Well I've got the box set of original WoW, I'll just have to give it a go and see what its like.

Well done my friend.

Marco

Thumbs up

Very dramatic AAR Andrzej! Really enjoyed it especially as I am about to play some WW2 games at our Club.
    Glad your young Wingman survived. Got to thank those Catalina Crews.

Incidently just watched "Midway" again to get me in the mood!

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-13-2013, 14:20
  2. Scenario 2: Find the Flat Tops!
    By Marechallannes in forum Midway Rising
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-10-2012, 23:38
  3. AAR: Find the Flat Tops! (Marechallannes - US Navy)
    By Marechallannes in forum Midway Rising
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-25-2012, 23:29
  4. WGSF Scratch one flat top! Nightbomber's humble paintjob
    By Nightbomber in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-16-2012, 13:57