Ares Games

Thread: 71 Years Ago Today

Default 71 Years Ago Today

The Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor was a long time ago, but it is still very real in mind. While I haven't talked to many people of my grandparent's generation about where they were and what they were doing on December 7, 1941, I grew up in a Navy family and community where the day was always remembered. The well produced movie "Tora, Tora, Tora" strengthened my emotional connection to that day. Watching the movie is a morbid fascination. The tension builds with so many "would have, could have" moments, even though I know what happens.

The article linked below is one a Facebook friend of mine shared. It describes the efforts of Pearl Harbor survivor Ray Emory, who has worked for the last 20 years to restore names, or at least ship names, to previously unidentified casualties of the attack. This includes Alfred Livingston, fireman first class of the USS Oklahoma, who, thanks to Ray Emory's efforts, is now buried in his hometown of Worthington, Indiana.

http://seattletimes.com/html/nationw...remains07.html

Nice article Thx for sharing

Tora Tora Tora was a great movie I agree

Attilio

Thumbs up

Thank you for that.
    A few years ago my Son in Law & Grandson visited Peal Harbour & were quite moved by the experience. They were fortunate to have a guide who was a survivor of the attack so got some great first hand insights. I guess there are not many of those Vets still alive now.

Now that you have mentioned that it was 71 years ago today I feel really old.
    Maybe we could take a minute to think of those who never got the chance to grow old on that day like I have.
    Rob.

When in the Army back in the 80's a group of us went on exercise to Hawaii, we also went to Pearl Harbour. On that day there was a load of jap saliors also visiting the memerial they were all noisy and talking away until one unknow Australian yelled out to them "Come to see what your ancestors did?'. never heard another one from them after that. We also had a veteran as a guide he could not stop laughing at the comment made. As he said only you Aussies could put them in their place like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    When in the Army back in the 80's a group of us went on exercise to Hawaii, we also went to Pearl Harbour. On that day there was a load of jap saliors also visiting the memerial they were all noisy and talking away until one unknow Australian yelled out to them "Come to see what your ancestors did?'. never heard another one from them after that. We also had a veteran as a guide he could not stop laughing at the comment made. As he said only you Aussies could put them in their place like that.

That's a great story, Alastair! Thanks for sharing it.

Thanks for reminding me of Tora Tora Tora. I have never seen it, so I watched it last weekend in memory of Pearl Harbor. My wife and I enjoyed it very much!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Bah -- if he wanted to be a real Twerp: Point out the Japanese *lost* PH -- of all the ships "sunk" all save 2-3 were raised, refitted and returned to action (if memory serves, one of the battles around the Philippines featured a BB squadron consisting *entirely* of BBs "sunk" at PH); *and* they managed to miss all the targets which would have forced the US Pacific Fleet to send damaged units all the way back to the West Coast for repair and replenishment (oil farms; sub pens; repair docks; etc.). Coupled with the failure of the US to "curl up and die" after the attack, and we have what has to be the most epic failure in naval-military history.

Similar Missions

1. (Werner Voss) 95 years ago today ...
    By MoonSylver in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-27-2012, 06:21
  2. 3 Years
    By Doug in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-10-2012, 02:16
  3. 3 Years of Service!!!
    By CappyTom in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 28