Ares Games

Thread: Midway Plan

Default Midway Plan

I have just uploaded a snap shot of Midway and plan to use it for my next WW2 game and thought it may be of use
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Midway Atol.jpg  

That's a pretty cool picture.

I agree, that is an outstanding photo! Thanks for sharing with us. Lloyd

Thats an awesome photo. Great job and have to give us a AAR on the battle.

Wow Kevin.
    Are you going to base a games mat on it?
    Rob.

Cool idea for a gaming mat, Kevin!

Please give us a nice AAR when finished your first mission on the finished mat and visit us at the Midway Rising Campaign thread.

Nice photo. Is it going to be uploaded in the file section? And can it be enlarged to a 4x6 mat?

It has been a long time coming but this weekend I plan to run a game on the attack on Midway Island the biggest problem has been the Val which I now have so the game is on Watch this space for an update on the game!!!

Regards Kev

The mat looks awesome?0! Especting amazing dogfights over this map from you!
    Thanks

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    Nice photo. Is it going to be uploaded in the file section? And can it be enlarged to a 4x6 mat?
    Sounds a good idea to me

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Its a long way dowwwwnnnnnn!! Nice mat, "high" resolution.

Default Midway the game

Morning chaps
    Well we set the maps up and placed the 9 Val’s, 9 zeros on the edge of the sheet to the north of the islands the 3 Buffalo’s were positioned within the atolls outer reef area acting as air patrols trying to locate the Japanese attack force having been tipped off by the long range PBY’s of the impending attack.
    The buffaloes flew straight for the bombers and came into contact at 4000 feet inflicting only minor damage to the mass of Val’s, the bomber fighter cover then fell on the buffalos causing serious damage to the flight leader in the first round of combat with engine damage he struggled on attacking the bombers who he was having difficulty keeping up with after the fighter attack.
    The bombers pushed on to the airfield and the main Island causing the 3 remaining wildcats to be scrambled to try to intercept, they managed to get off the ground and flew straight into the bomber formation underestimating the effect of the Val’s rear gunners who caused minor damage to one aircraft and wounding the pilot of another they struggled on to attack and damage two of the offending Val’s.
    The bombers carried on to the airfield and after suffering damage from the anti aircraft guns and shore batteries pushed on to attack the fuel dump and runways causing major damage.
    The buffaloes now suffered from the Zero’s again and two were shot down in quick succession one with a massive explosion and the other with the pilot having been wounded was hit for the second time.
    The Val’s hit the main Island taking out the fuel storage and the seaplane base and wrecking the main headquarters communication area this came at some cost as the ground forces put up a brave and valiant action shooting down 2 of the attacking bombers that had damage from the efforts of the buffaloes.
    Not all of the island main defences were destroyed and the bombers left calling back to the carriers for a second raid on the islands to finish the job
    The last remaining buffalo retuned to base only to find the runway out of action and came down in the sea. The wildcat limped back and the last remaining defender crashed on landing.
    Losses
    Japanese
    4 Val’s 2 zeros
    American’s
    3 Buffaloes (two to air combat) 3 Wildcats (two to air combat) 2 main fuel depots, 5 shore batteries, the Seaplane base and 2 runways damaged.

But after all this I forgot my camera so no pictures at the moment still waiting on one of the other players to forward some shots to post?

The game map worked out about 2m / 6'00'' square and gave a good playing area.

I have attached the map I used to work out the defences and key areas on the map they were all marked with target markers for the attack so if and when I get the pictures you will understand the strange markers on the islands

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Midway defences.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	141437

Oh no pictures?! Anyway, it seems i was a great game Kevin!
    Thanks

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    Cool idea for a gaming mat, Kevin!

Please give us a nice AAR when finished your first mission on the finished mat and visit us at the Midway Rising Campaign thread.
    Or join us the PTO section in Fire in the Sky.
    Paul

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Default Pictures of the Midway game

Hi Chaps well I now have the pictures from the midway game thank's to my good friend Ray so here we go

Regards Kev
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Midway 5.jpg   Midway 4.jpg   Midway 3.jpg   Midway 2.jpg   Midway 1.jpg  

That Looks Fan...Tastic!

Oh, no! WW2 calls again!

Must resist!

Must.......................................

Superb game, what is the mat printed on and what was the cost if i may be so bold. And lastly why oh why aren't you playing in the PTO Fire in the Skies Campaign? You're more than welcome to join in.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    That Looks Fan...Tastic!

Oh, no! WW2 calls again!

Must resist!

Must.......................................
    I lost that fight a year ago Tim.
    I'm just fighting the Pacific circle.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Superb game, what is the mat printed on and what was the cost if i may be so bold. And lastly why oh why aren't you playing in the PTO Fire in the Skies Campaign? You're more than welcome to join in.
    The mat is just a straight paper colour print at AO on a roll hence the two mats to make up the area. They were then laminated on the colour side only to keep them flexible and protect the surface, as for cost I can only give the cost of laminating which was Ł30.00 for the two sheets as the maps where a gift from a very good friend who loves the game and would not divulge the cost to me.

I am sorry I can not be of more help, I have put the files in my album and attached them see below.

I would also like to thank every one for their kind comments it makes the games all worth wile

Regards Kev
    Attached Files

Great looking game with that mat. Just waiting for the new US planes to come out. Thanks for the post.

Hi Bob
    New US planes coming out do you know what they are and by who?

I think I need a bigger table!

Default Table size

Quote Originally Posted by nikiMcBee View Post
    I think I need a bigger table!
    Just to give you an idea we played on a 6'x 8' table this gave a small space at each end for laying out the cards and aircraft record sheets.

Regards Kev

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by FLt Brown View Post
    Hi Bob
    New US planes coming out do you know what they are and by who?
    Lots of great resin models of WW2 planes available from Armaments in Miniature but you have to paint them yourself.

Default New US Planes

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Lots of great resin models of WW2 planes available from Armaments in Miniature but you have to paint them yourself.
    Thanks for the info I will check them out.

Regards Kev

AIM planes are fanastic. If you get the Kate/Devastator you get a bomb and torpedo with each model. I use mini/magnets and can have hem with bomb or torpedo option. They paint up really well and for some he has decals. Worth checking before you buy though, you might have to source them elsewhere.
    See you on the Dark Side......

I have some AIM Kate's (1/200) that I have to finish. They look good and will be good in a game.

Similar Missions

1. Sails of Glory, do you plan on playing?
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 803
    Last Post: Yesterday, 07:15
  2. Why do you plan 3 or 1 card each turn in WoW/G?
    By Angiolillo in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-24-2012, 11:40
  3. AAR: Midway Rising - Bombing Midway (US Nightbomber)
    By Nightbomber in forum Midway Rising
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-20-2012, 12:52
  4. Wich and how much WWI bombers do you plan to buy?
    By Marechallannes in forum Polls
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 11-07-2011, 11:05
  5. Interesting Plan of German Balloon Company Deployment.
    By gully_raker in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-13-2011, 20:47