Ares Games

Thread: AAR: Find the Flat Tops! (Marechallannes - US Navy)

Default AAR: Find the Flat Tops! (Marechallannes - US Navy)

Find the Flat Tops!

4th June 1942. While the commander of VF-8, Lt. Lt.Co. Robert Schneider, leads a strong patrol to the Midway Islands, Lieutenant Karl Yaeger and his wingman Lieutenant Junior Grade Darel Grumpman prepare for a CAP, 150 miles eastwards of Task Force 16. Their order: Patrol the determined sector and watch out for enemy naval and aerial activity. The Grumman Wildcats take off from the deck of CV 8 USS Hornet.

After an unspectacular hour on the patrol route, Lt. Yaeger spots a Japanese flight of three enemy planes., flying a north -west course.

Lt. Yaeger’s Grumman Wildcat F4F-4 has more firepower and is a little bit sturdier then Lt.Jg. Grumpman’s Grumman Wildcat FM-1.

Quickly the US pilots identify the enemy planes as Mitsubishi A6M Zeros, versatile Imperial Japanese Navy planes with a good firepower. Deadly weapons in the hand of skilled pilots.

Lt. Yaeger gives his wingman the order to attack. The moment the US pilots speed up, the Japanese realized their presence and curves in to atttack themselves.

„Concentrate on the leading Jap, Darell“ says the Wing Leader via radio.

The bursts from both Wildcats damage the leading Zero, but they get well aimed fire in return.

The US pilots break the formation to continue the attack on their own. Bit it isn’t the best decision and the third Zero hammers a full salvo into Lt. Yaegers Wildcat.

The fighters passed each other...

Lt.Jg. Grumpman follows the eye-catching green Zero and Lt. Yaeger keeps the other two Japs busy.

While Lt. Yaeger performs an Immelmann, his wingman becomes the Zero in his crosshairs, sending a well placed burst in the Zero's fuselage.

The Jap falls with smoking engine to the waves...

Lt. Yaeger outmaneuvers the second zero and concentrates himself on the third one that damaged his plane a minute ago.
    His victorious wingman knows about the dangerous situation of his wing leader and tries to keep contact.

Both enemies manage to hit each other with their machine guns and cannons. Unfortunately the US plane is already damaged and the third Zero was undamaged.

Lt. Yaeger (veteran) uses his evasion ability to ignore one 5-point damage.

Both planes pass each other and Lt. Grumpman manages to attract the attention of the second Zero.

A mistake of the Jap because he misses the chance to finish off the more damaged Wildcat of the US wing leader with his comrade.

Unfortunately the Japanese pilot knows his business and manages to hit Lt. Jg. Grumpman’s Wildcat seriously. The US pilot feels a sharp pain at his shoulder when a shrapnell of a bullet bolts through the cockpit.

Lt. Yaeger realizes the perfect chance and orders Grumpman via radio to attack his opponent while he follows his wingman’s opponent.

The plan works and Lt.Jg. Grumpman shots down his second enemy plane.

Now the US pilots have the upper hand over the remaining Jap fighter and Lt. Yaeger glues himself on the Zero’s six.

Even if the situation is a still dangerous one, because of the heavy damages of both Wildcats, Lt. Yaeger isn’t willing to release his prey.

The second salvo send his opponent to his the waves.

Lt. Yaeger advices his wingmen to get back information. The victorious Wildcats abort their patrol and return to their Carrier.

Unfortunately they didn't spot Japanese ships, but this is a minor cost for the pilots that survived the contact with a superior enemy patrol.
    Last edited by Marechallannes; 11-22-2012 at 08:19. Reason: bad spelling

Mission succesful!

Again I didn't use the aim bonus rules, even if there were no chance to use it.

To break the formation wasn't a good idea vesus more enemy planes. I'll promise not to do this again.

The Japanese ace used his special aim ability once. Unfortunately he catched a big first salvo. I wasn't shure in this moment, wether to use his evasion ability for the 7 point B-damage counter in this moment or to save it for later. I saved it - but this didn't save his Jap ass when Grumpman offers him the 4 point B-damage twice.

Additional the dices were against the Zeros - means there were not much Immelmans for them (following Joaquim's advanced rules).

Lt. Yaeger's evasion ability saved him and the mission. I'm shure that Lt.Jg. Grumpman's damaged Wildcat wouldn't be able to fight off two Zeros.

A nice second Midway mission.

I hope the Japanese campaign players will present us a mission soon, too.

I'll determine later if the wounded Lt.Jg. is able to continue the campaign.

Last edited by Marechallannes; 11-22-2012 at 04:38.

Another exciting and well fought out scenario Sven.
    I am starting to really enjoy these WWII encounters.
    Thanks for posting.
    Rob.

You're welcome Rob.

A little problem is, that I can't pesent a more expressive AAR.

My abilities to write good AARs in English are limited.

...but no one would understand it in German language.

The result for wounded Lt.Jg. Grumpman:

1d6 → [5] = (5) = Just a bruise. Some iodine and I'm ready for action

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3796880/

Darell is still active!

1. I can not agree that your abilities in writing English reports are limited. Not at all.
    2. DAMN GOOD FIGHT! You have a very good command in the air, Sven. Congrats for your boys' performance and thanks for a well written presentation.

"The other" campaigners will present their reports thru the weekend Cheers!

This is a well written AAR, Sven. You also took some good pictures of the action on a great looking game mat. Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    You're welcome Rob.

A little problem is, that I can't pesent a more expressive AAR.

My abilities to write good AARs in English are limited.

...but no one would understand it in German language.
    I must take issue with you here old Sven old bean.
    Your command of the English language is better than a lot of the children I have taught, who profess it to be their native language.
    The few quaint idioms you add to your narrative simply add to the charm of the whole.
    Don't criticise what is actually an asset.
    I really enjoy your style of prose.
    Rob.

Great AAR Sven, also if the jap pilots didn't do their best: hope for them that sharks grabbed them before the Emperor did.
    Otherwise 切腹 (seppuku) would be a solution for them.

I hope I could play this mission on thursday and publish AAR asap.

Marco

p.s. don't worry for your english, mine is worse

They did their best.

A lucky circumstance that Yaeger could use his evasion ability and Grumpman catched only a "0" from the third Zero at the end of the battle.

So the Japs meet the fish with honour.

Similar Missions

1. AAR: Bombing Midway (Marechallannes - US Navy)
    By Marechallannes in forum Midway Rising
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 09-19-2013, 23:44
  2. Scenario 2: Find the Flat Tops!
    By Marechallannes in forum Midway Rising
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-10-2012, 23:38
  3. Flat Finishes
    By DJensen in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-10-2012, 11:53
  4. Building a Flat Top